CA CA - Theresa Bier, 16, Fresno, 1 June 1987

JusticeWillBeServed

Reaction score
The circumstances surrounding Theresa's disappearance are odd, to put it mildly. Skip Welch gave the most absurd reason to explain what happened to Theresa and ended up walking away a free man. Investigators could not find any physical evidence and since there was no crime scene, they didn't feel confident that they could convict him. It's been 28 years and there still has been no resolution to this case. Unfortunately, you will often find that the "Bigfoot" aspect has overshadowed the fact that a 16 year old is missing and the "weirdness" of the case is now more known than the person herself. I believe Welch is now deceased so we may never know what happened but I got to hope that Theresa and her family will receive justice one day.

At the same time, I wish more information would be released. For example, how did Bier and Welch know each other? Were they dating or were they both interested in studying "Bigfoot"? Why did Bier go on a camping trip alone with a man who was more than two decades older than her? Did her parents know or did she tell them she was doing something else?

Since this is still an unsolved case, I guess there *could be* other possibilities. Perhaps she went on this camping trip because she saw it as an opportunity to run away. Maybe she convinced Skip that she needed a new life so he covered for her by making up this scenario. According to this Charley Project Blog Post, the speed freak killers were/are considered suspects in this case so they may have been involved. Some of the comments are from Welch's family members.

I list alternative reasons because I always try to keep an open mind. Although I will not entertain the idea that "Bigfoot" had anything to do with Theresa's disappearance.

NamUs

Doe Network

Charley Project

bier_theresa.jpg

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance
• Missing Since: June 1, 1987 from Fresno, California
• Classification: Endangered Missing
• Date Of Birth: April 16, 1971
• Height and Weight: 5'5, 110 pounds
• Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Brown hair, hazel eyes. Theresa's upper front teeth protrude. She has a surgical scar on her lower right leg due to a childhood fracture. Her nickname is Sam.
• Clothing/Jewelry Description: A white t-shirt, blue jeans and laced sandals.

Details of Disappearance
Theresa resided with her family in Fresno, California in 1987. She was last seen at 7:20 p.m. on June 1, 1987, while on a camping trip with Russell Welch in the Sierra Nevada mountain range. Theresa and Welch, whose nickname is Skip, camped in the area of Shuteye Peak, approximately 25 miles northeast of Bass Lake. He was 43 years old at the time. They were reportedly searching for the legendary creature known as Sasquatch or Bigfoot. Welch considered himself a "student" of the legend. Theresa disappeared during the trip and has never been heard from again.

Authorities questioned Welch when he returned to Fresno several days later. He initially claimed that Theresa ran away from him on June 1, then he changed his story. Welch eventually stated that Theresa had been forcibly taken by Bigfoot.

Welch was charged with child stealing. In September 1987, only three days before he was supposed to go to trial, authorities dropped the charge. They had offered to recommend a one-year sentence if Welch signed a waiver allowing them to go forward with murder charges if Theresa's body were located, but Welch refused. The prosecution decided to drop the case to avoid double jeopardy if they wanted to charge him with murder later.

Searches of the Shuteye Peak area produced no clues as to Theresa's whereabouts, but foul play is suspected in her case. It remains unsolved.

In 1987 Abduction Case: Bigfoot Was Named Prime Suspect in Teen's Disappearance

The Strange Case of Theresa Ann Bier

Man claims Bigfoot abducted girl while camping

Article about SFK, Theresa listed as a possible victim

It's really hard to find words :gaah: .... I am trying to imagine the conversation between
the police to the man who took Theresa to the mountains, he said that Bigfoot took her and they just let him go? no pressure? not another investigation ?/ it's pretty obvious that Welch Tried to sexually assault Theresa , killed her and hide her body , this person gives the most idiotic,Delusional explanation regarding Theresa's disappearance and he just continues his life free and happy? it's so frustrating and upsetting.

There are cases when killers convicted without a body, you don't need to be investigator to figure out what's really happened. It's really Unbelievable that there is no Justice for Theresa and for her family after so many years.
ch
Is Russell Welch is still alive? if so ,today he is almost 74 years old.

I found very interesting blog which includes articles from 2019 regarding Theresa's Disappearance and murder.There are lots of details about the case and on Theresa Bier disappearance.

Theresa Ann Bier had very hard life ,she lived with her uncle who molested her with his friends,he was a drug dealer.His name was John Richmond,(nickname-Blind Johnny)

The police at those days charged Russell Welch in detain,conceal and/or entice away a minor child...the police were sure that he murdered Theresa but they couldn't find the evidence. Russell skip Welch was known as someone who take teenage girls to the mountains,give them drugs and abuse them sexsually.

On the day Teresa disappeared during her trip to the mountains with skip Welch
she was fascinated by his stories on bigfoot and about strange events in the mountains.

On this blog you realise how sinister and dark was the background of Theresa's Life and her Disappearance.

Poor girl,So sad that they couldn't bring her to rest and put for life in prison this monster Russell Skip Welch.

part one
Meth, Murder, and Bigfoot: A California Crime Saga - Part One - 3R News

Part two Meth, Murder, and Bigfoot: A California Crime Saga – Part Two - 3R News

Part three and the Last chapter
Meth, Murder, and Bigfoot: A California Crime Saga – Part Seven - 3R News

I added the pictures of Theresa and Russell skip Welch ,he was 42 at those days.

Theresa-Bier-72597_2-150x150.jpg
Fresno-Bee-Headline-2.jpg

Last edited:
What a dreadful case. Poor Theresa. I wish she would have been found and there had been justice, for her and any other victims. There are no words really.

This is a very interesting case for me. While I believe in Bigfoot (and lots of other weird things), I don't think that he (or it) killed Theresa. I think that perhaps her remains are out there on the mountain.

Very odd case to say the least. Updated link for Namus:

NAMUS - MP4023

1675111790495.png

Case Description: Theresa Ann Bier, of Fresno has not been seen since she and a man, reportedly became separated in the mountains after they had gone to look for Sasquatch, the legendary creature also known as Bigfoot. The man, a self-proclaimed student of Bigfoot, went camping with Theresa in June near Shuteye Peak, about 25 miles northeast of Bass Lake, and was questioned by deputies when he returned without her. His explanation was that Bigfoot had abducted her. Foul play is suspected. Searches throughout that region produced no sign of Bier; she has never been seen again.

Exclusions:

1675112285132.png

Shame that she only has only 2 exclusions on Namus from CA.

All the news articles I could find:

19 June 1987, The Fresno Bee, pg 6 and 13
1675114041447.png
1675114144988.png

20 June 1987, The Fresno Bee, pg 15
1675114231898.png

22 June 1987, Merced Sun-Star, pg 3
1675114294674.png

3 October 1987, The Fresno Bee, pg 13 and 15
1675114381285.png
1675114437996.png

4 October 1987, The Lompoc Record, pg 9
1675114507470.png

26 July 1992, The Fresno Bee, pg 24
1675114574426.png

It broke my heart to hear about his home life. I mean closing a fridge and eating in front of hungry children... that's just horrible. I bet that happens a lot more than is reported and it's very sad.... The thing is, given his addiction to meth, everything Skip said could be true. In his own mind, that is. I might have really believed that a girl was to be sacrificed to the devil while tied to a rock, I might have really believed that a group of Satanists shape-shifted and then took her away and I might have honestly believed that Bigfoot kidnapped her....( according to him) It is probable that he killed her and dumped her body somewhere. Poor girl. She deserved to live a good life after everything that happened....
rest in peace

Meth-head dealer takes young girl into the woods and claims she was grabbed by sasquatch? The incredible thing is that story worked!

It's entirely possible that the two of them got separated, and Welch's drug-addled brain believed it was bigfoot that took her, when really she got lost and died of exposure/accident. Meth is one hell of a drug that loosens your grip on reality. That slither of doubt was enough to protect him from any charges.

More likely that he forced himself on Theresa and killed her when she fought back.

Reading about Theresa's awful childhood, this was just a miserable case all around. That girl deserved so much better.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
locallady50
Back