826 users online (118 members and 708 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 97
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Wellington, FL
    Posts
    896

    Hurricane Relief: Where are all the celebrities now?

    Yes, it is my week to celebrity bash. First, it was the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in South Florida, whiich is still recovering from a Cat 1, but nothing was going to stop the MTV Video Music Awards from happening.

    Now, with the mass destruction in the Gulf Coast states, I ask...where the h*ll are all the celebrities now?

    The only "famous" person I have seen speaking about what has happened is Brett Favre. He talked about his family in MS.

    I get so angry even going through the checkout of the grocery store seeing these pukes draped in their designer clothes and mugging for the camera at whatever big party they happen to be at.

    You want to get publicity and earn some respect, make a hefty donation. You won't miss the $ cause your accountant will write it off any way.

    (Stepping off of my soapbox now)
    "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain



    GO STEELERS!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    clifton park,ny
    Posts
    7,355
    Lisa,
    I'm with you. I think I may have seen a blurb about some country singers putting together something,but what about the rest of them. Will they have a Live Aid type of concert or do they just reserve that for foreign countries? On the same note,where is all the support form all the other countries in the world? They always seem to have their hands out when something happens in their countries. This topic really frosts me!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,507
    Many celebs come through with money and time. I guess if you want to call them "pukes" and bash them, this is the time, though, before the reports of their generosity begin.

    Hockeymom, there are some links in the main hurricane thread about the offers of assistance from other countries. Lots of hands from other countries are out, but they're extending them in support.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,388

    I agree



    I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    In heels
    Posts
    27,885

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Wellington, FL
    Posts
    896
    I stand corrected. Just heard Shep talkin' about it on FOX.

    I am extremely pleased to admit that I am wrong!
    "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain



    GO STEELERS!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    10,829
    They just said on Fox that Jerry Lewis will donate $1mill from the telethon this weekend. That is very nice. I was thinking about his telethon this weekend. Wondering if that with the timing, that his MDA donations won't be down a lot because of the hurricane coverage, etc. Just another victim, so to speak.

    P.S. I would like to see Paris Hilton donate a few $$$$!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    In heels
    Posts
    27,885
    I think Oprah could afford a few hundred million too!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,471
    There are a lot of celebs from LA, NO in particular that will probably pitch in and donate and/or raise funds. John Goodman, Anne Rice, Delta Burke and Gerald McRaney are just a few. Peyton Manning and Eli Manning (NFL) are NOLA born and bred that will probably give big, but they are they type that would probably do it quietly. Celebs that have shot movies in NO talk about how they love it there so they may come through also, Kate Hudson, Tom Cruise come to mind.

    I wonder if Britney Spears will come through for her home state. I don't want to bash her, but she's so self-absorbed I'll be pleasantly surprised if she can be bothered at all. (I know that's ugly but she's too immature for words.)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    14,796
    Quote Originally Posted by shopper
    There are a lot of celebs from LA, NO in particular that will probably pitch in and donate and/or raise funds. John Goodman, Anne Rice, Delta Burke and Gerald McRaney are just a few. Peyton Manning and Eli Manning (NFL) are NOLA born and bred that will probably give big, but they are they type that would probably do it quietly. Celebs that have shot movies in NO talk about how they love it there so they may come through also, Kate Hudson, Tom Cruise come to mind.

    I wonder if Britney Spears will come through for her home state. I don't want to bash her, but she's so self-absorbed I'll be pleasantly surprised if she can be bothered at all. (I know that's ugly but she's too immature for words.)
    I so agree about Brittany.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Manhattan
    Posts
    7,133
    Harry Connick Jr is from NO and he is there. He is going to take part in a concert this Friday night on the NBC stations, along with Tim McGraw and Faith Hill and Leo DiCaprio.

    I also read that Fats Domino decided to ride out the storm at home in NO and hasn't been heard from. Hope he's okay.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,507
    Here's an opinion piece about the concert and about celebs helping out in general.

    Also said this:
    In addition, other events are in the works, including an MTV special on Sept. 10 involving Green Day, Usher, Ludacris and Alicia Keys, and the Jerry Lewis Labor Day telethon will make a special appeal on behalf of relief efforts.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    3,641
    Quote Originally Posted by Dara
    Many celebs come through with money and time. I guess if you want to call them "pukes" and bash them, this is the time, though, before the reports of their generosity begin.

    Hockeymom, there are some links in the main hurricane thread about the offers of assistance from other countries. Lots of hands from other countries are out, but they're extending them in support.
    good post Dara
    Retired 08/03/03

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,471
    Quote Originally Posted by lisafremont
    Harry Connick Jr is from NO and he is there. He is going to take part in a concert this Friday night on the NBC stations, along with Tim McGraw and Faith Hill and Leo DiCaprio.

    I also read that Fats Domino decided to ride out the storm at home in NO and hasn't been heard from. Hope he's okay.
    I plan to tune in tomorrow night. As you probably know, Tim McGraw is from LA and Faith Hill is from MS, and those two are the sweetest in the music biz.

    You described (another thread) the same feelings I've been feeling. I've decided that anytime I get a few extra bucks, no matter how small I think it is, I will donate it to the Red Cross and just hope that combined with the millions of other people doing the same thing, it will be enough to make a difference.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,507
    Lots more names here!

    (Thanks, Shadow)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Boy donates to hurricane relief, gets puppy
    By SadieMae in forum News that makes you smile!
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-26-2005, 08:49 PM
  2. Sex drug money may go to Hurricane relief
    By Mabel in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-07-2005, 02:52 PM