LA - Breastfeeding discrimination alive and well in 2015

Hiandmighty

Reaction score
https://www.facebook.com/KALBTV/photos/a.453889465425.246807.249297535425/10152851785725426/?type=1

Been blowing up my FB newsfeed this weekend.

Notes: legal in Louisiana to Bf in public wherever a woman has the right to be and she is exempt from nudity laws.

Owner asked her to feed in bathroom, then asked her to leave.

Owner put a sign on the window that says: "If you breastfeed you need to cover up !!! (Cover up underlined 3 times). If you do not (underlined 3 times) you will be asked to leave!! Thank You, Tammy (last name)

Rumor on FB in a screenshot post by owner's husband's son says owner/husband is a pedophile who is turned on by women breastfeeding.

Owner's solution is to segregrate breastfeeding mothers behind a wall she plans to erect in the restaurant.

A nurse in is planned August 1.

Owner says it is private property and they wont be allowed in.

The breastfeeding mom posted this on another page: "I was the mother that was breastfeeding. First of all my daughter was sitting in the high chair on the opposite side of the table with my husband. I had him hand her to me and then I began feeding. I was in NO way exposed prior to having her in my arms. Even when I was feeding her I was using the two shirt method and you could see nothing. And Tammy never once asked me to cover up, nor did she offer me a blanket like she is stating. She told me to use the bathroom or to leave. Point blank. Please stop spreading lies about me being "completely exposed" or "asked nicely to cover up" when neither of those things happened."

That's crazy. I would never expect a woman to brestfeed in a public bathroom. I mean she should just be allowed to feed her child. Period. But if anything we should have mother rooms because a public bathroom or any bathroom is just not a very sanitary place to brestfeed.
I'm not aginst brestfeedimg in public but I think we should all start putting up mother rooms where its a clean and safe place to brestfeed.

Well, you can make a room for comfort and that is fine, but you can't make anyone go sit there to breastfeed if she doesn't want to.

From the way the mom tells the story, this was a non-issue. The owner took it to the extreme...

I breastfed my babies as did almost every one of my friends. I had a wide circle of "playgroup" mamas with all sorts of attitudes about parenting....and every single one of them was discreet when actually breastfeeding.

Most mamas like to cover up and NOT draw attention. Their instinct is on feeding and relaxing their child, not showing themselves. There is no need for inhospitable signs in a restaurant window warning women to cover-up when nursing.

We see butt-cracks, cleavage, too-short skirts, midriffs, etc. ALL THE TIME. Exposure to a boob really shouldn't be so shocking.

https://www.facebook.com/KALBTV/photos/a.453889465425.246807.249297535425/10152851785725426/?type=1

Been blowing up my FB newsfeed this weekend.

Notes: legal in Louisiana to Bf in public wherever a woman has the right to be and she is exempt from nudity laws.

Owner asked her to feed in bathroom, then asked her to leave.

Owner put a sign on the window that says: "If you breastfeed you need to cover up !!! (Cover up underlined 3 times). If you do not (underlined 3 times) you will be asked to leave!! Thank You, Tammy (last name)

Rumor on FB in a screenshot post by owner's husband's son says owner/husband is a pedophile who is turned on by women breastfeeding.

Owner's solution is to segregrate breastfeeding mothers behind a wall she plans to erect in the restaurant.

A nurse in is planned August 1.

Owner says it is private property and they wont be allowed in.

I wonder what happens if they bring along some cops?

I wonder too. Did you watch the video? The news did a poor job about explaining the law and on the pizza place FB page, a supposedly regular customer said the bathroom was made more cozy looking (with a changing table) for the news.

This woman owner seems bent on learning the hard way. Its a small military town (Ft. Polk) so who knows how a nurse in will go.

I don't think anyone has explained to the owner about public accommodation laws.

The thing is, if the owner changes her mind and admits she over-reacted, people would love that. Seriously, she is missing an opportunity for good publicity. People love a turn-around story, and capturing the affection of young families means loyal customers for life. She should say, "I'm sorry!" and hand out free blankets with her logo on them during the sit in.

I've also been following some of these public breastfeeding stories as of late and honestly, I can't believe some of the attitudes around women's breast/breastfeeding. This is what breasts are for; to feed/nourish infants. Sorry men but they were NOT created/designed for your pleasure. Get over it and to all those who have a problem with women breastfeeding their baby in public; why don't you take your food and go sit in the bathroom and eat OR, better yet, put a blanket over your own head and eat! MO ~

I wonder too. Did you watch the video? The news did a poor job about explaining the law and on the pizza place FB page, a supposedly regular customer said the bathroom was made more cozy looking (with a changing table) for the news.

This woman owner seems bent on learning the hard way. Its a small military town (Ft. Polk) so who knows how a nurse in will go.

I don't think anyone has explained to the owner about public accommodation laws.

Genuine question, because I'm not familiar with breastfeeding laws. Do public accommodation laws apply to the interior of privately owned businesses? Not that I'm defending the lady, I'm just curious if there is a legal gray area that allows for this to keep happening.

4 Reasons Women Should Never Breastfeed in Public (Funny but so true, unfortunately)

[video=youtube;LURZqBig734]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LURZqBig734&feature=share[/video]

Genuine question, because I'm not familiar with breastfeeding laws. Do public accommodation laws apply to the interior of privately owned businesses? Not that I'm defending the lady, I'm just curious if there is a legal gray area that allows for this to keep happening.

So long as the “private business” is not open to the public :)

"La. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 51. 2247.1 (2001) states that a mother may breastfeed her baby in any place of public accommodation, resort, or amusement, and clarifies that breastfeeding is not a violation of law, including obscenity laws. (2001 HB 377) The law leaves enforcement to the Louisiana Commission on Human Rights."

http://www.louisianabreastfeedingcoalition.org/legislation/louisiana-laws/

And much more here:
http://breastfeedinglaw.com/state-laws/louisiana/

The thing is, if the owner changes her mind and admits she over-reacted, people would love that. Seriously, she is missing an opportunity for good publicity. People love a turn-around story, and capturing the affection of young families means loyal customers for life. She should say, "I'm sorry!" and hand out free blankets with her logo on them during the sit in.

This happened at a restaurant a few months ago.. I think it was in Indiana or Illinois? It was the same sort of thing and the owner made some unfortunate comments on SM. Then breastfeeding advocates arranged a nurse in and by the end of the week everyone was on great terms. The whole thing blew over rather quickly.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back