1035 users online (200 members and 835 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 271
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    30,906

    Would the Govt response be different in NO.......

    If the majority were affluent & white

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,681
    In my opinion, I have no doubt that this would be a whole different response.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Not Of This World
    Posts
    21,642
    What's scary is that I was thinking the exact same thing. And I'm not one to ever play the "race card!" But it certainly crossed my mind. *sighs*


    Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

    Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

    10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

    Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

    Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    23,796
    I thought this was an interesting quote:
    "We have individuals who are getting raped, we have individuals who are getting beaten," Compass said. "Tourists are walking in that direction and they are getting preyed upon."
    http://www.news14charlotte.com/conte...sp?ArID=101563
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

    Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?


    "Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    ATX
    Posts
    819
    Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew
    I thought this was an interesting quote:

    http://www.news14charlotte.com/conte...sp?ArID=101563
    Rapes, beatings? This situation is beyond comprehension. And the part of the story where the little boy had to leave behind his dog Snowball and cried until he vomited? I'm in tears.
    http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...oston/pree.jpg

    Beloved Taffy ~ June, 1994 - February 15, 2007.

    ...always in my heart...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Florida's Treasure Coast
    Posts
    14,495
    I for one was very surprised to see the large amount of Afro Americans involved in this tragedy. It certainly wouldn't affect my decision to help.

    I am very sadden by the amount of looting, crime, etc. I think those people commiting these crimes have done that for years not just in the event of the hurricane. Its difficult to comprehend that the warning to evacuate wasn't taken more seriously. A simple two hour drive and they would have faired so much better. Hopefully, the next time a hurricane threatens an area like this, the buses will come in two days before the hurricane hits and take these people to safe places.

    The survivors need to be placed with extended family somewhere in the country as soon as possible. Trying to house them in these large numbers is ridiculous. This country has planes, trains and boats. Spread these people out and do it quickly, before they are out of control. Money will be coming their way that we know for sure.

    No one wants them harmed, but then again society doesn't need to suffer any harm from riots, etc. New Orleans is just an example of what can happen when people start making demands. The relief should be there, but because its not, is not a reason to loot stores, thats just the mentally shared by alot of these people. God help those who have found themselves among the lowlife of New Orleans.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by Beyond Belief
    The relief should be there, but because its not, is not a reason to loot stores, thats just the mentally shared by alot of these people. God help those who have found themselves among the lowlife of New Orleans.
    How on EARTH can you say that?!

    You're not there - those people do NOT have FOOD or WATER. The stores are closed - there's no electricity for people to purchase the food or the water they need. They have to get it somehow.

    It's not like they're just stealing to steal - they're stealing to *survive*. So many people have lost so much...they're taking what they can - food, water, electronics they can use to sell/trade to get more help for themselves.

    The fault is with the government taking well over FOUR DAYS to get help to people. I totally believe there's a race issue going on here. They have no major reason to help those people - there's not financial gain for the government. That's why they're taking their sweet ol' time...I have absolutely no doubt that if the majority of the people involved were porcelain white and filthy rich this would NOT be happening.

    A portion of our country is practically the equivalent of a Third World nation right now. No one in power has said "Those people need help - let's get whatever aid to them NOW and we'll figure out the paperwork later." It's been controlled by idiotic bureaucracy. It's disgusting that the need for "law & order" has overulled the need to GET THOSE PEOPLE OUT OF THERE.

    Yes, that's correct. We're sending people in to guard the buildings and prevent the looting and not sending in FOOD, WATER, or CLOTHES.

    It's just disgusting...and it really scares me that such a thing can happen in our country. The way things have been going, though, I really shouldn't be surprised.

  8. #8
    poco's Avatar
    poco is offline A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Flora-frickin-duh
    Posts
    38,905
    Hopefully, the next time a hurricane threatens an area like this, the buses will come in two days before the hurricane hits and take these people to safe places.

    BINGO - Large cities vulnerable to this type of tragedy need to make up plans of actions BEFORE these disasters hit - not after! Maybe some of them will take heed to this and do so before another major city finds themselves in this type of situation.

    So often times it happens that we live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. ...Eagles, "Already Gone"

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Not Of This World
    Posts
    21,642
    Quote Originally Posted by pardilia
    How on EARTH can you say that?!

    You're not there - those people do NOT have FOOD or WATER. The stores are closed - there's no electricity for people to purchase the food or the water they need. They have to get it somehow.

    It's not like they're just stealing to steal - they're stealing to *survive*. So many people have lost so much...they're taking what they can - food, water, electronics they can use to sell/trade to get more help for themselves.

    The fault is with the government taking well over FOUR DAYS to get help to people. I totally believe there's a race issue going on here. They have no major reason to help those people - there's not financial gain for the government. That's why they're taking their sweet ol' time...I have absolutely no doubt that if the majority of the people involved were porcelain white and filthy rich this would NOT be happening.

    A portion of our country is practically the equivalent of a Third World nation right now. No one in power has said "Those people need help - let's get whatever aid to them NOW and we'll figure out the paperwork later." It's been controlled by idiotic bureaucracy. It's disgusting that the need for "law & order" has overulled the need to GET THOSE PEOPLE OUT OF THERE.

    Yes, that's correct. We're sending people in to guard the buildings and prevent the looting and not sending in FOOD, WATER, or CLOTHES.

    It's just disgusting...and it really scares me that such a thing can happen in our country. The way things have been going, though, I really shouldn't be surprised.
    Yeah, those people who are stealing electronics and more shoes than they need and who are raping women are just trying to survive.


    Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

    Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

    10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

    Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

    Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Cajun Country, Louisiana
    Posts
    7,598
    Quote Originally Posted by poco
    Hopefully, the next time a hurricane threatens an area like this, the buses will come in two days before the hurricane hits and take these people to safe places.

    BINGO - Large cities vulnerable to this type of tragedy need to make up plans of actions BEFORE these disasters hit - not after! Maybe some of them will take heed to this and do so before another major city finds themselves in this type of situation.
    There was a plan. We are finding out exactly how lacking the plan turned out to be in a lot of areas. People were told to get the hell out of Dodge! BUSSES were sent for people who had no way out on their own! Some people chose not to take advantage of the ride away from low-lying areas.

    New Orleans issued a MANDATORY evacuation on Sunday, one day before the hurricane hit and two days before the flooding began.

    80% of the people did evacuate. 20% stayed behind. I'm thinking that of that 20% MOST OF THEM KNEW a hurricane was coming and decided to ride it out. Well, it's been a rougher ride than they imagined.

    Was it stupid to house people in the Super Dome? Yep. Could the plan have been better? Yep. Will it be better next time? I sure hope so.

    AS FOR THE LACK OF HELP BEING RACIAL: New Orleans has a black mayor, a black chief of police, a black man heads the utilities department, the educational system, etc. It is a city run by African Americans. I don't think that race has much to do with the things we see going horribly wrong. The head of Acadian Ambulance cancelled rescue missions to hospitals at one point because the ambulances were being attacked. Now we hear of people dying in the hospitals because they haven't been evacuated. Whose fault is it? Rescuers have been shot at! We are hearing of people who still haven't been rescued, God help them. But whose fault is it? Helicopters, shot at!! Is it the fault of the rescuers, or the damn ****s with guns who are strutting around so stupid that they would shoot the ones who come to save them?


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Cajun Country, Louisiana
    Posts
    7,598
    [QUOTE=pardilia]
    The fault is with the government taking well over FOUR DAYS to get help to people. I totally believe there's a race issue going on here. They have no major reason to help those people - there's not financial gain for the government. That's why they're taking their sweet ol' time...I have absolutely no doubt that if the majority of the people involved were porcelain white and filthy rich this would NOT be happening.
    QUOTE]

    First of all, New Orleans is surround by incredibly affluent, porcelain white suburbs. It's not all black.

    Secondly, there is a BIG flaw in your theory. New Orleans is a MAJOR PORT. It is INCREDIBLY important to the oil and gas industry. The entire country is taking a big, big hit financially because of the destruction of New Orleans. Have you seen gas stations closing down because there is no more gas in the pumps? Heard the stories of the rising prices of gas? (By the way, we aint seen nothing yet, guys.)

    The sooner those who are stranded in New Orleans are evacuated, the sooner the cleanup can begin and the sooner that port is back online. Major, major financial reason to get it done as quickly as possible.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Not Of This World
    Posts
    21,642
    [QUOTE=kgeaux]
    Quote Originally Posted by pardilia
    The fault is with the government taking well over FOUR DAYS to get help to people. I totally believe there's a race issue going on here. They have no major reason to help those people - there's not financial gain for the government. That's why they're taking their sweet ol' time...I have absolutely no doubt that if the majority of the people involved were porcelain white and filthy rich this would NOT be happening.
    QUOTE]

    First of all, New Orleans is surround by incredibly affluent, porcelain white suburbs. It's not all black.

    Secondly, there is a BIG flaw in your theory. New Orleans is a MAJOR PORT. It is INCREDIBLY important to the oil and gas industry. The entire country is taking a big, big hit financially because of the destruction of New Orleans. Have you seen gas stations closing down because there is no more gas in the pumps? Heard the stories of the rising prices of gas? (By the way, we aint seen nothing yet, guys.)

    The sooner those who are stranded in New Orleans are evacuated, the sooner the cleanup can begin and the sooner that port is back online. Major, major financial reason to get it done as quickly as possible.
    Oh, they'll do everything they can to get their financial port open, but it's obvious from the pictures that the majority of refugees (the PEOPLE) are poor and black. And the black mayor is on record as saying he is, quote, "pissed" about the lack of response from the federal government, among others. He can only do so much. I notice they don't seem to have quite the same issues in the white, casino laden coastal towns in Mississippi that were devastated. Where are THEIR refugees and lawlessness?


    Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

    Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

    10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

    Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

    Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,507
    I am also the last person to drop the race card, but I've been thinking for days that the response would have been different if the demographics of the victims were different as well. Jim Cafferty on CNN called it the elephant in the room yesterday.

    I dont think we can assume all those who stayed behind chose to. I know we're being told that buses went to every neighborhood and someone knocked on every door. I just don't know if I believe it. In other threads, posters have shared information about why some people didn't or couldn't leave, and it wasn't just to "ride out the storm." When I saw how many people stayed, I couldn't believe they all justchose to stay. The number just seems too high. I hope we find out the truth later.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Cajun Country, Louisiana
    Posts
    7,598
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight
    Oh, they'll do everything they can to get their financial port open, but it's obvious from the pictures that the majority of refugees (the PEOPLE) are poor and black. And the black mayor is on record as saying he is, quote, "pissed" about the lack of response from the federal government, among others. He can only do so much. I notice they don't seem to have quite the same issues in the white, casino laden coastal towns in Mississippi that were devastated. Where are THEIR refugees and lawlessness?

    The damage is so different, dark knight. Mississippi has the same damage to buildings but they don't have the flooding. They don't have the roadways that have fallen into the water. I don't want to seem like the MS, AL damage aren't devastating because they are....but NO is complicated by the flooding.

    I think the lawlessness has complicated the rescue efforts to an incredible degree. I heard on Fox this morning that NO cops are turning in their badges because it's just too dangerous, they are being shot at by the very people they are trying to help. Rumor has it that Kathleen Blanco is considering a "shoot to kill" order, and I'm all for it. If they can remove the ****s from the picture, things will improve dramatically.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    892
    Quote Originally Posted by Beyond Belief
    I for one was very surprised to see the large amount of Afro Americans involved in this tragedy. It certainly wouldn't affect my decision to help.

    I am very sadden by the amount of looting, crime, etc. I think those people commiting these crimes have done that for years not just in the event of the hurricane. Its difficult to comprehend that the warning to evacuate wasn't taken more seriously. A simple two hour drive and they would have faired so much better. Hopefully, the next time a hurricane threatens an area like this, the buses will come in two days before the hurricane hits and take these people to safe places.

    The survivors need to be placed with extended family somewhere in the country as soon as possible. Trying to house them in these large numbers is ridiculous. This country has planes, trains and boats. Spread these people out and do it quickly, before they are out of control. Money will be coming their way that we know for sure.

    No one wants them harmed, but then again society doesn't need to suffer any harm from riots, etc. New Orleans is just an example of what can happen when people start making demands. The relief should be there, but because its not, is not a reason to loot stores, thats just the mentally shared by alot of these people. God help those who have found themselves among the lowlife of New Orleans.
    ...............you are truly "Beyond Belief"!

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. US govt scientists say retire most research chimps
    By Reader in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-24-2013, 01:25 AM
  2. GOVT Used foster children to test drugs
    By Linda7NJ in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-15-2011, 08:44 AM
  3. Govt: Prostitute or lose benefits!
    By VespaElf in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-02-2005, 10:21 AM