Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Would the Govt response be different in NO.......

Quote Originally Posted by pardilia
    It's disgusting that the need for "law & order" has overulled the need to GET THOSE PEOPLE OUT OF THERE.
    HELLOOOO?? Are you kidding me? The rescuers are being shot at by armed thugs who are gang members and career criminals. They can't "GET THOSE PEOPLE OUT OF THERE" until law and order is restored.

They should have MADE them get on those buses and evacuate. It is a certain percentage that is looting and shooting, but they are ruining rescue efforts for everyone else.

My husband heard from other doctors that people are saying part of this was "planned" - they stayed back for the exact reason of wanting to loot and get us much as they could out of this. A new flat screen, etc.

I'm not being prejudiced; I just know they're different, different culture and many are in poverty. I don't blame them for trying to get food and water.

It just seems that New Orleans should know their culture and should have anticipated this. Can you legally make them evacuate? I don't know.

We now have a little Baghdad in Louisiana - good thing the Guard is there.

Quote Originally Posted by Marthatex
    They should have MADE them get on those buses and evacuate. It is a certain percentage that is looting and shooting, but they are ruining rescue efforts for everyone else.

What evacuation buses??? Where were they??

My husband heard from other doctors that people are saying part of this was "planned" - they stayed back for the exact reason of wanting to loot and get us much as they could out of this. A new flat screen, etc.

"People are saying part of this was "planned" WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING THAT?

I'm not being prejudiced; You are I just know they're different, different culture and many are in poverty. I don't blame them for trying to get food and water.

WHAT?

It just seems that New Orleans should know their culture and should have anticipated this. Can you legally make them evacuate? I don't know.

THUD! I am simply stunned by you're comments.

less0305 is offline The face is familiar, but I can't quite remember my name!
    I also heard reporters state that buses were sent to public housing areas PRIOR to the hurricane hit to evacuate those people to the Superdome...a lot of people would not get on those buses sent by the city at that time.

I also heard reporters state that they have understood that there were some criminal element in NO that rode out the storm to loot what they could afterwards. I'm sure they didn't think they'd be stuck with the flood waters afterwards that didn't allow them to take advantage and enjoy their loot.

I also heard the Mayor himself say this morning on radio and CNN state that there is a HUGE drug problem in NO and that these druggies are looting the pharmacies and hospitals to get their fix and hord up drugs for sales.

So I don't think Martha was wayyyyyy off in her comments.
    It's my own two cents. You don't have to read or like it.

I think it's helpful to realize (and I'm sure most of us do) that not every single person stayed behind for the same reason. Not everyone wanted to stay behind and loot, though a small percent possibly did. Another percentage might have stayed behind to protect property from looters (can you imagine trying to replace everything you owned without insurance; some might feel the risk was worth it to keep their families from losing everything). Some didn't have the gas or resources to leave. Perhaps those buses that supposedly went to every street missed a few, or couldn't take someone who needed oxygen (that I heard). There are a lot of reasons. We know this happens every time a hurricane approaches. I'd like to know why so many people stayed behind, simply because I believe many didn't have a choice.

If every person had gotten on a bus WTF would NO have put them? Can you imagine if 100,000 people had been in the Superdome? It would have been truly catastrophic. 20,000 people was beyond what the Superdome could handle.
    Welcome to the World Baby Caleb!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Linda7NJ
    THUD! I am simply stunned by you're comments.
    And I'm stunned by your comments to Marthatex. I absolutely agree with her and don't think it makes her prejudiced to say there are differences in the culture. There are major differences between the culture I've seen on news reports and *my* culture. That's doesn't mean I consider myself better because of it. The differences are simply a fact.

So put that in your pipe and smoke it.

I'm not being prejudiced; I just know they're different, different culture and many are in poverty. I don't blame them for trying to get food and water.

WHO THE HELL IS THEY!

less0305 is offline The face is familiar, but I can't quite remember my name!
    I also heard it reported that people who volunteered and took their boat out to rescue people drove up to people in flooded areas and they (volunteers)were told that they (victims) didn't want to go even now....they said, "No, we're just going to stay." So where will those people be in a week?? Trust me, you won't see them on TV saying "We turned down rescue efforts," more like, "How come nobody helped us?" What is the rationale of people who simply WON'T leave?

I feel sorry - I really do - for those that absolutely could not leave, those that have waited at the pick up points for days, those that have waded through water to get to a pick up point, those waiting on the interstates, but there are also those that refused to leave then, and refuse to leave now.

If I had a helicopter, I'd have been flying over dropping water. I'm sure no one is enforcing a no-fly zone there. Why aren't corporate America, the rich and famous, the government doing fly overs with water and food? I have yet to understand why media helicopters are flying constantly, yet there aren't any planes or helicopters flying and dropping off water and food.
    It's my own two cents. You don't have to read or like it.

Just catching up on all the post. I do not agree with the stealing of TVs, radios, etc. But when you have a small baby that is needing food, water, milk, I think anything is ok but killing. One thing that broke my heart was the video of them arresting the older man for stealing a car. In the car there was women, children, & babies. I am sure he did not steal the car to resell. He wanted to get them out of hell. If he took a parked car what is the real harm. If he took it from someone and hurt them that is different. They unloaded the car right there and left the women, children and babies on the street. Put the man in handcuffs. I say on the dry roads if there is a car that runs and has gas the government should take control of the cars, load up women and children and let them drive as far away from NO as they can. I do not think it is a Race factor. But in American most of the poor are Black. We need to remember this when this is over and all work together to change that.

I'll toss out something for this argument about cultural differences and the poor in NO. This, I believe is historical. NO is a very, very old city with a definite background. Let's go back to the War Between the States, slavery, imports, the French influence. The war ends and the slaves are freed, the culture of plantations change. NO is still a major port city, grown from windjammers and pirates of old to container goods coming in and going out, oil and gas, etc. Former slaves sharecrop, work menial jobs in town and slowly adjust to change. Now along comes Huey P Long, well known governor. He puts together a welfare system, builds hospitals and many are cared for at no charge. I know this for a fact, because my dad was in NO in the late twenties and thirties and was a young chemist for the state. I had heard Huey P stories many times. There have always been poor in NO and for the most part they're covered by a welfare system that most states can't comprehend. Many of the blacks there today descend from families who helped found NO. The system has been in place for almost a century now.

So, cultural differences? You bet? Ever visit a voodoo shop to get a gris gris? This is part of NO culture also. Jazz, the Blues, the fabulous food. The people. All culture indiginous to the area. It's different from where you live and where I live. History dictates a lot of your culture. Boston, Charleston, Atlanta, San Francisco, etc. Think of what you know about the cities and you'll find culture different in each one, stemming from history.

I'm not an apologist, nor an advocate, just stating what I know and what we need to keep in mind as we're arguing.

As to the violence and those who are being thwarted in rescue attempts, I wouldn't go in with a truckload of supplies if I was going to be shot and my truck hi-jacked. There are poor but law-abiding folks there who would never see these supplies because some thugs and gangs looted and stole food and water before they could get to a distribution point. So whoever posted that restoring order was not as important as rescue efforts and getting food and water in, need to think about who is not getting it and why.

I think the main problem is the local, state, and federal government just weren't prepared for the enormity of the situation and the undercurrent of lawlessness that would result from evacuating the city. They weren't prepared for the sheer number of people that didn't or couldn't evacuate. Some of the problem is the communications after the storm as well. There will be a lot of finger pointing later. I'm hearing this morning that further on up the chain of command, they honestly weren't aware of the vast multitude of stranded individuals in different vicinities of the city, and they also didn't know how widespread the lawlessness was.

Even today as thousands of vehicles coming to the rescue are arriving, there are still reporters saying, 'well we're not seeing any difference here.' So you see, no matter where or what they do, it's not enough for the here and now this very minute in such a wide-spread area.

Houston Tx offered to take in 25,000 people only to find out the next day that that is not even half of what was needed. There were 10's of thousands stranded on overpasses and more people being added to that number by the hour as people are still being rescued off rooftops.

A CNN reporter is deep into the city of NO right now and there are still hundreds of people hiding away in offices and buildings, afraid to come out. When they saw a truck go by that was delivering water to a LE office, the people came out from where they were and cried for "WATER!" So you see, there are still even more people to be rescued that the government isn't aware of but seen on tv.

Baton Rouge offered to take in refugees and thought they were prepared. But a doctor from there was just on and he said there are so many people with need of medical assistance they are overwhelmed.

IMO, this is such an enormous disaster, that we on the outside need to stop and wait until all is said and done. We need to learn from this horrible experience and make sure that this doesn't happen again and that all the elements impeding rescue of those really needing to be helped are addressed.

Sure we've heard all the warm fuzzy stories about disasters in other countries. We've heard how many people worked on the rescue, how many helped their 'fellow man,' yadda,yadda, yadda. That's happening here as well, we're just not focusing on that but what is wrong, not what is right. Plus, we don't know that our media was allowed unfettered access in other countries. We don't know what went on in all areas of other countries that have been affected by disasters.

You can't always believe, at first blush, everything being reported on tv either. For instance, I've just been watching on FOX where there are fires in the business district and the reporter has been going over and over how the fire dept is just standing there and watching it burn without fighting the fire because of no water pressure. Yet, just now they showed an airiel view where there are fire fighters on roofs with hoses pointed at the burning building. You see, the reporter couldn't see the people, from his view point, fighting the fire so he reported inaccurately.

JMHO
    fran

Barbara Starr w/ CNN is with General Honore in downtown NO and said 1000 troops on the way to the convention center w/ supplies. No pics yet. He is standing at a street corner directing them.....worried that people would think this is an arrest he is ordering them to have their weapons face down.

Should be an interesting scene. Hope it goes well.

Quote Originally Posted by fran
    I think the main problem is the local, state, and federal government just weren't prepared for the enormity of the situation and the undercurrent of lawlessness that would result from evacuating the city. They weren't prepared for the sheer number of people that didn't or couldn't evacuate. Some of the problem is the communications after the storm as well. There will be a lot of finger pointing later. I'm hearing this morning that further on up the chain of command, they honestly weren't aware of the vast multitude of stranded individuals in different vicinities of the city, and they also didn't know how widespread the lawlessness was.

Even today as thousands of vehicles coming to the rescue are arriving, there are still reporters saying, 'well we're not seeing any difference here.' So you see, no matter where or what they do, it's not enough for the here and now this very minute in such a wide-spread area.

Houston Tx offered to take in 25,000 people only to find out the next day that that is not even half of what was needed. There were 10's of thousands stranded on overpasses and more people being added to that number by the hour as people are still being rescued off rooftops.

A CNN reporter is deep into the city of NO right now and there are still hundreds of people hiding away in offices and buildings, afraid to come out. When they saw a truck go by that was delivering water to a LE office, the people came out from where they were and cried for "WATER!" So you see, there are still even more people to be rescued that the government isn't aware of but seen on tv.

Baton Rouge offered to take in refugees and thought they were prepared. But a doctor from there was just on and he said there are so many people with need of medical assistance they are overwhelmed.

IMO, this is such an enormous disaster, that we on the outside need to stop and wait until all is said and done. We need to learn from this horrible experience and make sure that this doesn't happen again and that all the elements impeding rescue of those really needing to be helped are addressed.

Sure we've heard all the warm fuzzy stories about disasters in other countries. We've heard how many people worked on the rescue, how many helped their 'fellow man,' yadda,yadda, yadda. That's happening here as well, we're just not focusing on that but what is wrong, not what is right. Plus, we don't know that our media was allowed unfettered access in other countries. We don't know what went on in all areas of other countries that have been affected by disasters.

You can't always believe, at first blush, everything being reported on tv either. For instance, I've just been watching on FOX where there are fires in the business district and the reporter has been going over and over how the fire dept is just standing there and watching it burn without fighting the fire because of no water pressure. Yet, just now they showed an airiel view where there are fire fighters on roofs with hoses pointed at the burning building. You see, the reporter couldn't see the people, from his view point, fighting the fire so he reported inaccurately.

JMHO
    fran
    Fran, what a good post. I'm bumping it for everyone to read again. As you said things aren't always as they seem.

Quote Originally Posted by Ntegrity
    And I'm stunned by your comments to Marthatex. I absolutely agree with her and don't think it makes her prejudiced to say there are differences in the culture. There are major differences between the culture I've seen on news reports and *my* culture. That's doesn't mean I consider myself better because of it. The differences are simply a fact.

So put that in your pipe and smoke it.
    Look. I lived in Baton Rouge, and the blacks lived right down the street from me in shacks. So I've LIVED IT.
    I thought I was trying to say I try very hard not to be prejudiced of a group. But I fully understand the culture differences.

I am a Southern Lady, but a rare old-tyme democrat. I am just trying to repeat what I'm hearing about looters and so forth. I don't mean to offend anyone; I'm calling it like it is. Like a reporter.

But as always happens to me, when I try to be honest, things get "snitty" and I get in tears and just don't want to post anymore. My blood pressure is high enough already. If y'all don't want reporting and what they're saying in the hosptials here, fine. I'll shut up.

Thank you, Ntegrity! (why in the world should we be fighting and picking on each other when we're just trying to figure out a horrible tragedy. Give me a break)

Look. I lived in Baton Rouge, and the blacks lived right down the street from me in shacks. So I've LIVED IT.
    I thought I was trying to say I try very hard not to be prejudiced of a group. But I fully understand the culture differences.

I am a Southern Lady, but a rare old-tyme democrat. I am just trying to repeat what I'm hearing about looters and so forth. I don't mean to offend anyone; I'm calling it like it is. Like a reporter.

But as always happens to me, when I try to be honest, things get "snitty" and I get in tears and just don't want to post anymore. My blood pressure is high enough already. If y'all don't want reporting and what they're saying in the hosptials here, fine. I'll shut up.

Thank you, Ntegrity! (why in the world should we be fighting and picking on each other when we're just trying to figure out a horrible tragedy. Give me a break)
    Don't cry Martha, I understand exactly what you are saying, right along with Ntegrity. Perhaps, they need to go google on some history sites so they can view the whole picture of the culture of the area.

ETA: I'm also a Southern Lady, as were my mother, grandmothers and those before them. Rooted deep in the culture.

I think I know how you feel Martha. You were sharing what you had heard, what you had lived. Even an opinion. We shouldn't get to where we're getting snitty at fellow WS'ers over this. That doesn't accomplish anything.
    And those that were long-time poster "friends" are getting upset over other things said. It's not worth it. We all really do want what's best for those affected.

[QUOTE=less0305]I also heard reporters state that buses were sent to public housing areas PRIOR to the hurricane hit to evacuate those people to the Superdome...a lot of people would not get on those buses sent by the city at that time.

I also heard reporters state that they have understood that there were some criminal element in NO that rode out the storm to loot what they could afterwards. I'm sure they didn't think they'd be stuck with the flood waters afterwards that didn't allow them to take advantage and enjoy their loot. quote"

Well, that's what I heard too. I've been busily trying to watch CNN, get my husband on an airplane and post on websleuths. I haven't been trying to check references; I thought this was a discussion board.

Perhaps I should use the word "impoverished", instead of blacks. Politically correct. The "impoverished" are having a hard time down there. We in Texas are trying to do everything we can to help.

Quote Originally Posted by jannuncutt
    Wow......."the blacks lived right down the street from me in shacks. So I've LIVED IT." "the blacks"
    So, come up with a WS word to make it politically correct, then. We change terms constantly. History again. The "N" word was replaced by "black" and those "Afro-Americans" and "people of color" were asked to be called "black" at one point. I don't think political correctness needs to get in the way of a tragedy and trying to understand it.

[QUOTE=Marthatex]
    Quote Originally Posted by less0305
    I also heard reporters state that buses were sent to public housing areas PRIOR to the hurricane hit to evacuate those people to the Superdome...a lot of people would not get on those buses sent by the city at that time.

I also heard reporters state that they have understood that there were some criminal element in NO that rode out the storm to loot what they could afterwards. I'm sure they didn't think they'd be stuck with the flood waters afterwards that didn't allow them to take advantage and enjoy their loot. quote"

Well, that's what I heard too. I've been busily trying to watch CNN, get my husband on an airplane and post on websleuths. I haven't been trying to check references; I thought this was a discussion board.

Perhaps I should use the word "impoverished", instead of blacks. Politically correct. The "impoverished" are having a hard time down there. We in Texas are trying to do everything we can to help.
    And YOU (Texans) have gone above and beyond!! Some of these people are thugs and I can think of no title that fits their behavior other than animals!! There are many people there who just want to get to a shelter and these "animals" IMO are making it so difficult! Part of me says leave the "animals" there! But, they would destroy what historical sites remain! "Animals", IMO come in many different colors. I would like to see some of these other people start knocking these people out and hog-tying them.

I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours.

Quote Originally Posted by BarnGoddess
    Fran, what a good post. I'm bumping it for everyone to read again. As you said things aren't always as they seem.
    Thanks, BarnGoddess.

I just hate to see the 'race card' coming into this now. The fact is these are fellow Americans and human beings who are in need of help now. It's been four days and they're getting desparate. I'm just glad that the powers that be have finally realized that they needed to get there THIS MINUTE and I see that today they have.

I feel so bad for those still standing out there in that hot sun, dirty, bedraggled, hungry, thirsty,........it must seem unbearable. But, it appears the calvary has arrived and things should be better by tonight.

God bless them all and I hope that they are able to finally get relief.

FJMHO
    fran

Obviously some people felt they could not evacuate for various reasons. I know that my family would have a very difficult time as we are experiencing severe financial problems right now and have no family to go to. We'd be hard pressed to come up with money for a hotel. We also have a house full of cats, our own and fosters, that would be very difficult to leave behind.

The people who chose to ride out the hurricane would have been okay for the most part, if the levees had held. No one predicted that. Regardless, the situation is what it is, whether these people were wrong or not is so far beyond being an issue at this point.

Tens of thousands of people who were evacuted in the buses provided were taken to shelters that were not prepared for them. That is not their fault. They went where they were told to go. There is no reasonable excuse for the fact that no food or water has been delivered there in 4 days. None.

A nurse was interviewed on CNN last night. She said they got word that some of their most critical patients were being evacuated. The hospital personnel carried the people down 9 flights of stairs using only flashlights to guide them. They put the people in a boat that was waiting. Not long afterwards the boat returned still carrying the patients. The land transportation that was supposed to meet the boat didn't show up.

The moronic director of FEMA came on next and was asked about this. He said it was just one example of how things go wrong and they have to "think on the fly". Wouldn't "thinking on the fly" mean finding other transportation for these critically ill people rather than sending them right back to the horrible situation from which they'd just been rescued?

I hope when this situation is under control, we, the people, stand up and demand answers. Our government has been working for their own interests for far too long. It's about time they begin working for us again.

Quote Originally Posted by fran
    I just hate to see the 'race card' coming into this now.
    I get what you mean, and I completely understand. The thing is, I think of the "race card" as using race as a factor in a situation when it wasn't. And I'm not sure in this case it wasn't a factor. Which is what this thread, imo, is about. I feel it's a discussion worth having. So do a lot of people, including Jim Cafferty from CNN. And a lot of columnists.

Maybe it's too soon for some people to discuss it. Maybe some just plain don't want to. But some of us do. I'd like to think we could do so civilly and without a lot of hurt feelings. Because imo a lot of things went wrong. If race was one, it shouldn't be ignored just because it's hard to talk about.

Does that make sense? Really, I don't know anymore.

MABEL FOR PRESIDENT!!! You are SO right! I can't understand, if there was a mandatory evacuation, WHY there are PEOPLE still there as well. If I were a resident and felt it wouldn't get that bad or had to stay for reasons out of my control, I wouldn't think it was that serious with nursing home patients and hospital patients STILL THERE!! JMO
    Quote Originally Posted by Mabel
    Obviously some people felt they could not evacuate for various reasons. I know that my family would have a very difficult time as we are experiencing severe financial problems right now and have no family to go to. We'd be hard pressed to come up with money for a hotel. We also have a house full of cats, our own and fosters, that would be very difficult to leave behind.

The people who chose to ride out the hurricane would have been okay for the most part, if the levees had held. No one predicted that. Regardless, the situation is what it is, whether these people were wrong or not is so far beyond being an issue at this point.

Tens of thousands of people who were evacuted in the buses provided were taken to shelters that were not prepared for them. That is not their fault. They went where they were told to go. There is no reasonable excuse for the fact that no food or water has been delivered there in 4 days. None.

A nurse was interviewed on CNN last night. She said they got word that some of their most critical patients were being evacuated. The hospital personnel carried the people down 9 flights of stairs using only flashlights to guide them. They put the people in a boat that was waiting. Not long afterwards the boat returned still carrying the patients. The land transportation that was supposed to meet the boat didn't show up.

The moronic director of FEMA came on next and was asked about this. He said it was just one example of how things go wrong and they have to "think on the fly". Wouldn't "thinking on the fly" mean finding other transportation for these critically ill people rather than sending them right back to the horrible situation from which they'd just been rescued?

I hope when this situation is under control, we, the people, stand up and demand answers. Our government has been working for their own interests for far too long. It's about time they begin working for us again.

I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Mabel
    He's one of those I'm looking at hardest. When I heard his say yesterday afternoon that he hadn't heard of any unrest and didn't know about the people at the convention center, I kind of called "BS." I can't believe he didn't know. And if he didn't, he's still at fault for not knowing something most of us did. It's. His. Job.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast