CA - CAJON PASS, 500-acre brush fire jumps freeway, cars on fire (UPDATE)

A brush fire off of Interstate 15 in the Cajon Pass north of Highway 138 grew from one to 500 acres in about an hour and a half, and is currently being dispatched as a "mass casualty" incident.
That means paramedics and firefighters responded to the scene prepared to deal with "possible multiple civilian burn victims." Authorities have not reported any injuries or deaths.
At 3:45 p.m. Friday, cars were seen burning on live television. The fire, officials said, had jumped the freeway.
Mandatory evacuations were enforced for the Baldy Mesa areas east of Sheep Creek Road, north of the 15, west of the 15, and south of Phelan Road. At 4:10 p.m. Friday, structure protection crews reported that multiple homes were involved.

There are lots of people trapped, walking by the many burning vehicles. No safe place to go. :eek:

Scary, scary,scary.
Hoping firefighters and LE can get this under control without injuries to selves or others.

Also hoping, katydid23, you & fam are not in danger from this fire.

I have never seen anything like this. We don't have this kind of forest fire here and I had no idea so much was involved. The helicopter pilot is fantastic in his explanations of what we were seeing and I have learned a lot. Thank you for posting this.

Do you know where they are getting the water from that they are dumping on the truck and areas close to the road?

Scary, scary,scary.
Hoping firefighters and LE can get this under control without injuries to selves or others.

Also hoping, katydid23, you & fam are not in danger from this fire.

Luckily we live near the beach. Very thankful right now. But I took notice because my daughter was going with her boyfriend to see his family in the Riverside area. And they take that freeway. I called her and they have not left yet, thank goodness. They are not going tonight, postponed their trip.

It is very scary what is still going on there. NIGHTMARE!

Do you know where they are getting the water from that they are dumping on the truck and areas close to the road?

I think there is a lake in Phelan, the town over the ridge.

I have never seen anything like this. We don't have forest fires here and I had no idea so much was involved. The helicopter pilot is fantastic and I have learned a lot. Thank you for posting this.

Your Shepherd looks exactly like mine: Roxy. She is 10 and we love her!

My daughter is on her way driving down there right now with my two grandsons!!!! I just texted her. She wont get to that part for at least 2 hours, but I bet the cars are backed up for beyond miles and miles!

Where is the southbound traffic/road (assuming this is northbound)? Did the fire jump that too?

My daughter is on her way driving down there right now with my two grandsons!!!! I just texted her. She wont get to that part for at least 2 hours, but I bet the cars are backed up for beyond miles and miles!

OH MY! She needs to pull over before she gets anywhere near the Cajon Pass. It will be shut down all night.

I heard the helicopter pilot state that the roads are closed approaching that section and CHP was turning people around. They are predicting a nightmare due to no keys in the stopped vehicles.

I heard the helicopter pilot state that the roads are closed approaching that section and CHP was turning people around. They are predicting a nightmare due to no keys in the stopped vehicles.

I hope Zoomom's daughter can stop somewhere and take the night off. Let the kids swim in the cheap motel pool and cool off. LOL

5 houses burned, 50 threatened as of right now. This is a beast, moving so fast. I can't believe there are no casualties in those cars.

Katydid, is there another live feed? That chopper pilot had to go refuel.

Also being told it grew so fast because a drone grounded the firefighting aircraft. This is the 3rd or fourth time in the last couple of weeks, at least. I hope the operator/s face criminal charges.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back