748 users online (90 members and 658 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Florida's Treasure Coast
    Posts
    14,495

    Do you have real time experience dealing with hurricanes?

    After reading some of the posts, I was just wondering how many chiming in have lived through the experience of a hurricane.
    My area still has blue tarps on the roof's from a year ago.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    7,118
    Eloise in 1975.

    Opal in 1995. Opal was a witch!!!

    Ivan, last fall.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    BAY AREA
    Posts
    10,356
    Nope but the 7.1 Loma Prieta quake.Would much rather go through a quake (No warnig) then a cane
    TYBEE U WILL ALWAYS BE MISSED AND LOVED.


    http://www.amw.com/fugitives/case.cfm?id=61288

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    14,796
    Quote Originally Posted by Beyond Belief
    After reading some of the posts, I was just wondering how many chiming in have lived through the experience of a hurricane.
    My area still has blue tarps on the roof's from a year ago.
    Lots of experience, since 1959.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Florida's Treasure Coast
    Posts
    14,495
    Quote Originally Posted by concernedperson
    Lots of experience, since 1959.
    Hmm, I remember Hazel '54, i think.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,684
    I've lived in Florida since 1971, the panhandle since 1998. Hurricane Ivan gave us a good scare, especially w/ all of the tornadoes that came up.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    SF BAY AREA NATIVE
    Posts
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by JDB
    Nope but the 7.1 Loma Prieta quake.Would much rather go through a quake (No warnig) then a cane
    Same here..I'll take a quake over a cane or tornado anyday..

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Cajun Country, Louisiana
    Posts
    7,598
    Well, let's see. Andrew and Lily. Camille. When I was really little, Betsy.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Florida's Treasure Coast
    Posts
    14,495
    Quote Originally Posted by kgeaux
    Well, let's see. Andrew and Lily. Camille. When I was really little, Betsy.
    I was curious about your experience with Andrew. Were you living in his path, or did you help with the recovery?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Cajun Country, Louisiana
    Posts
    7,598
    Quote Originally Posted by Beyond Belief
    I was curious about your experience with Andrew. Were you living in his path, or did you help with the recovery?

    Living in his path!! We still have an "official stop sign" that came hurtling through my picture window in the living room.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Florida's Treasure Coast
    Posts
    14,495
    Quote Originally Posted by kgeaux
    Living in his path!! We still have an "official stop sign" that came hurtling through my picture window in the living room.
    I only got to see that one from 100 miles away. I do remember the folks that were relocated to our area from there. A year later conversations with them still revealed how frightening that was for them.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    14,796
    Quote Originally Posted by kgeaux
    Well, let's see. Andrew and Lily. Camille. When I was really little, Betsy.
    I was pregnant during Betsy. We went to my grandma's house which was near Dauterive's Hospital. No one wanted to have to birth the child. I was having false labor you young people know what that is. The storm happened 2 weeks before Paige was born.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    14,796
    Quote Originally Posted by kgeaux
    Living in his path!! We still have an "official stop sign" that came hurtling through my picture window in the living room.
    I was living in Lafayette when Andrew came through. We had three generations of my family there as we were the only ones at the time to be living in a brick townhome.My ex was astonished as the sounds of the storm manifested itself. We started to get calls from Atlanta and he turned into the biggest wimp ever. I was the only one that had any sense at all, but of course, I lost it days after. They were all home safe and sound and I was still cleaning up.

    Oh, by the way it was Rena Drive....do you know this street?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Cajun Country, Louisiana
    Posts
    7,598
    Quote Originally Posted by concernedperson
    I was living in Lafayette when Andrew came through. We had three generations of my family there as we were the only ones at the time to be living in a brick townhome.My ex was astonished as the sounds of the storm manifested itself. We started to get calls from Atlanta and he turned into the biggest wimp ever. I was the only one that had any sense at all, but of course, I lost it days after. They were all home safe and sound and I was still cleaning up.

    Oh, by the way it was Rena Drive....do you know this street?
    Oh, sweetie, I drive up and down Rena Drive all the time!! I was living in Holden Heights subdivision--tiny little subdivision of dead end streets behind--Oh, I'm going brain dead, the hamburger joint on Johnston street where you turn on your car lights and they come out to you to take your order--Judice Inn! Talk about a storm! My yard had a dozen huge pine trees, some oaks, two giant pecan trees, and we lost most of them. My roof was badly damaged, my trees were down, power line down in my front yard, a sign had come hurtling through my front window, a tree landed on my van, and I was stuck in the house with 5 children, no electricity and no phone. I cried a bucket of tears! I have never been so hot in all my life. And yes, what a job to clean up......it seems like it went on forever and ever.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Cajun Country, Louisiana
    Posts
    7,598
    I wanted to add: for Andrew, I thought I was going to die. The sounds were unbelievable. A person cannot imagine the sound of a roof lifting up, or the sound a tree makes when it cracks and falls, I swear my walls looked like they were breathing in and out. I gathered all my boys and we sat in the interior hallway of my house, under some mattresses. Scared, I was so scared that I think I wet my pants. Where was my husband? Out in the back yard, video taping the trees hitting the roof. In case we needed proof that our trees had fallen! Like the dang insurance company couldn't have told from the 50 year supply of firewood stacked in the back yard that we'd lost trees! Idiot! He went outside and danced during Lilly too. The man is a nut!

    And I forgot in my previous list: I was living in Cameron parish during Audrey! I have seen some bad stuff. Almost 200 little children died in Audrey.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Rescued beagles experience grass & sunlight for the 1st time
    By Linda7NJ in forum News that makes you smile!
    Replies: 504
    Last Post: 01-03-2013, 11:02 PM
  2. The Ramsey case - in real time
    By why_nutt in forum JonBenet Ramsey
    Replies: 97
    Last Post: 01-01-2006, 10:31 AM