Do you have real time experience dealing with hurricanes?

Beyond Belief

Reaction score
After reading some of the posts, I was just wondering how many chiming in have lived through the experience of a hurricane.
My area still has blue tarps on the roof's from a year ago.

Eloise in 1975.

Opal in 1995. Opal was a witch!!!

Ivan, last fall.

Nope but the 7.1 Loma Prieta quake.Would much rather go through a quake (No warnig) then a cane

Beyond Belief said:
After reading some of the posts, I was just wondering how many chiming in have lived through the experience of a hurricane.
My area still has blue tarps on the roof's from a year ago.

Lots of experience, since 1959.

I've lived in Florida since 1971, the panhandle since 1998. Hurricane Ivan gave us a good scare, especially w/ all of the tornadoes that came up.

Well, let's see. Andrew and Lily. Camille. When I was really little, Betsy.

kgeaux said:
I was curious about your experience with Andrew. Were you living in his path, or did you help with the recovery?

Beyond Belief said:
I was curious about your experience with Andrew. Were you living in his path, or did you help with the recovery?

Living in his path!! We still have an "official stop sign" that came hurtling through my picture window in the living room.

kgeaux said:
Living in his path!! We still have an "official stop sign" that came hurtling through my picture window in the living room.
I only got to see that one from 100 miles away. I do remember the folks that were relocated to our area from there. A year later conversations with them still revealed how frightening that was for them.

kgeaux said:

I was pregnant during Betsy. We went to my grandma's house which was near Dauterive's Hospital. No one wanted to have to birth the child. I was having false labor you young people know what that is. The storm happened 2 weeks before Paige was born.

kgeaux said:

I was living in Lafayette when Andrew came through. We had three generations of my family there as we were the only ones at the time to be living in a brick townhome.My ex was astonished as the sounds of the storm manifested itself. We started to get calls from Atlanta and he turned into the biggest wimp ever. I was the only one that had any sense at all, but of course, I lost it days after. They were all home safe and sound and I was still cleaning up.

Oh, by the way it was Rena Drive....do you know this street?

concernedperson said:
I was living in Lafayette when Andrew came through. We had three generations of my family there as we were the only ones at the time to be living in a brick townhome.My ex was astonished as the sounds of the storm manifested itself. We started to get calls from Atlanta and he turned into the biggest wimp ever. I was the only one that had any sense at all, but of course, I lost it days after. They were all home safe and sound and I was still cleaning up.

Oh, by the way it was Rena Drive....do you know this street?

Oh, sweetie, I drive up and down Rena Drive all the time!! I was living in Holden Heights subdivision--tiny little subdivision of dead end streets behind--Oh, I'm going brain dead, the hamburger joint on Johnston street where you turn on your car lights and they come out to you to take your order--Judice Inn! Talk about a storm! My yard had a dozen huge pine trees, some oaks, two giant pecan trees, and we lost most of them. My roof was badly damaged, my trees were down, power line down in my front yard, a sign had come hurtling through my front window, a tree landed on my van, and I was stuck in the house with 5 children, no electricity and no phone. I cried a bucket of tears! I have never been so hot in all my life. And yes, what a job to clean up......it seems like it went on forever and ever.

I wanted to add: for Andrew, I thought I was going to die. The sounds were unbelievable. A person cannot imagine the sound of a roof lifting up, or the sound a tree makes when it cracks and falls, I swear my walls looked like they were breathing in and out. I gathered all my boys and we sat in the interior hallway of my house, under some mattresses. Scared, I was so scared that I think I wet my pants. Where was my husband? Out in the back yard, video taping the trees hitting the roof. In case we needed proof that our trees had fallen! Like the dang insurance company couldn't have told from the 50 year supply of firewood stacked in the back yard that we'd lost trees! Idiot! He went outside and danced during Lilly too. The man is a nut!

And I forgot in my previous list: I was living in Cameron parish during Audrey! I have seen some bad stuff. Almost 200 little children died in Audrey.

kgeaux said:
Oh, sweetie, I drive up and down Rena Drive all the time!! I was living in Holden Heights subdivision--tiny little subdivision of dead end streets behind--Oh, I'm going brain dead, the hamburger joint on Johnston street where you turn on your car lights and they come out to you to take your order--Judice Inn! Talk about a storm! My yard had a dozen huge pine trees, some oaks, two giant pecan trees, and we lost most of them. My roof was badly damaged, my trees were down, power line down in my front yard, a sign had come hurtling through my front window, a tree landed on my van, and I was stuck in the house with 5 children, no electricity and no phone. I cried a bucket of tears! I have never been so hot in all my life. And yes, what a job to clean up......it seems like it went on forever and ever.

Well, we can share that. I just hope you are doing OK as I know your heart. I want you to know that I am doing everything in Atlanta that I can do and I don't want you to take on more that is humanly possible. It is too rough for average citizens without an extraordinary amount of funds. Don't sacrifice more than you can do, this is a tax base situation now.The funds are there as far as the government, if they choose to divert them other than homeland help than we will crawl up their butts forever. Also, we need to accept every bit of help from other countries. We need all help from everywhere.You know where my heart is and I will do everything to get acknowledgement. And I haven't lost sight of my home state even with its flaws.

concernedperson said:
Well, we can share that. I just hope you are doing OK as I know your heart. I want you to know that I am doing everything in Atlanta that I can do and I don't want you to take on more that is humanly possible. It is too rough for average citizens without an extraordinary amount of funds. Don't sacrifice more than you can do, this is a tax base situation now.The funds are there as far as the government, if they choose to divert them other than homeland help than we will crawl up their butts forever. Also, we need to accept every bit of help from other countries. We need all help from everywhere.You know where my heart is and I will do everything to get acknowledgement. And I haven't lost sight of my home state even with its flaws.

They are warning us volunteers not to "burn out" because this is going to be such a long term recovery. I have donated/purchased supplies, went through my closets yesterday and delivered as many items of clothing as I could. (I have gained some weight BOOHOO, so I had an armload of "little" clothes I could give. And good school uniforms that I was waiting for my youngest to grow into, but we can afford to buy when he changes sizes and these people have NOTHING.) We've gone down to the CajunDome to get people settled in and help unload donations, I want to go tomorrow and bring some bags of dog and cat food to the pet shelter. We are also going to go to the dollar store and purchase some items I noticed that people didn't think of as often, like kleenex and lotion. I wish I could afford to buy brand name, but that's out right now. I will just do what I can.

My mom has had a rough recovery from an operation she had earlier this summer, but I think I've got her on the path to wellness right now. And I've got my 98 year grandmother visiting, so I have plenty of good loving around me to give me strength! My grandma's a hoot. I love talking with her about the old days.......she remembers when the titanic went down!

englishleigh said:
Eloise in 1975.

Opal in 1995. Opal was a witch!!!

Ivan, last fall.

LOL. Opal was bad. I live on the beach and we could not get back for 2 days. Then we had to get a pass to get back in.
The National Guard was already on the beach and in force. We had dusk to dawn curfew. Redcross gave us free tetnous shots incase we or the kids were cut on debris.
Ivan took our roof and the life of a family friend.
I can only imagine what Katrina would have been like.
I do know I am keeping an ax in my attic from now on. If I have to get in there I am going to have a way out.

Charlie, last year,

being from the northeast, I'll take a blizzard or a couple of feet of snow and ice over a hurricane any day

David in Savannah. Charley, Frances and Jeanne last year here in Florida. My heart is heavy for those who suffered Katrina. Almost unbelievable. And we have the forecasters promising more before this season of horror ends.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back