705 users online (78 members and 627 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    16,640

    MS - Troy Goode, 30 - Asthmatic dad dies after being hogtied by police

    Asthmatic dad dies after being hogtied and held face down by police in concert arrest, 'despite screaming he couldn't breathe'

    A Mississippi father died at the hospital on Saturday night hours after being taken into custody by police during an incident that may have involved excessive force and a hogtie that proved fatal.
    Troy Goode's wife Kelli was driving them back from a Widespread Panic concert at Snowden Grove Amphitheater when she pulled over around 7.45pm because of her husband's 'erratic' behavior.
    When Southaven Police arrived, they observed the 30-year-old chemical engineer 'running from the area acting strange and not cooperative' and learned he 'had allegedly taken some LSD'.


    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...c-concert.html

    Video

    Police filmed 'hogtying' asthmatic dad who died hours later

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/new...ater-died.html

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    16,640
    I'm having trouble seeing exactly what happened on the video, but the comments the person made are just chilling - like just in case he dies, and superimposing "I can't breathe" on it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,235
    Another awful case of potential excessive force/inadequate custody.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,350
    Something badly wrong when there's so many citizens dying at the hands of people who are supposed to protect them.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    16,640
    So much of this is confusing to me. Did his wife call the police when she pulled over? Was it the cops who tied him down or the EMTs? Or did they work together?

    Now the DA is saying there was no misconduct and he likely died due to a "heart issue."

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    534
    Watch this video (long but worth it)

    And tell me why cops responding wouldn't want to control this person. Their priority is their safety, and people on drugs are unpredictable. It is sad this father died, but why did he do the drug in the first place?
    Vermont born and raised!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    16,640
    Quote Originally Posted by RT51 View Post
    Watch this video (long but worth it)

    And tell me why cops responding wouldn't want to control this person. Their priority is their safety, and people on drugs are unpredictable. It is sad this father died, but why did he do the drug in the first place?
    Tell me why it was necessary to tie this father up like this. Tell me why there was no other way to control and care for him.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    534
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesneakers View Post
    Tell me why it was necessary to tie this father up like this. Tell me why there was no other way to control and care for him.
    According to the MSM, he died hours later, which means he did not die while the EMT's were transporting or the cops were securing him for transport. As I said before, people on drugs are unpredictable. From an EMT stand point, if a person states they cannot breath, they can as they are able to speak.

    The officers and EMT's were only protecting themselves. In the US, EMT's are paid close to the same amount as McDonald's employees. They do it because they care, but they also have to protect themselves. The average salary for cops in the city I live in is 35-40K a year starting pay. (I actually work for the city I live in, and after 16 years, make more then some of the cops.)

    I am not trying to be argumentative or self righteous, but working so close with both EMT's and PD, I have seen what they have to deal with. Drug usage is not easy to deal with.
    Vermont born and raised!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    San Mateo Co, CA
    Posts
    1,539
    I hadn't heard about this at all. How awful. And yet another case of excessive force and another death while in police custody.

    While I understand the effects of LSD can be scary to those trying to deal with the person experiencing them, is it really necessary to hogtie an individual and ignore his statements that he can't breathe?

    Something's really gone wrong with the way law enforcement handles calls. They seem way too quick to react with over-the-top force than in the past.

    Scary.
    This too shall pass

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    San Mateo Co, CA
    Posts
    1,539
    Quote Originally Posted by RT51 View Post
    According to the MSM, he died hours later, which means he did not die while the EMT's were transporting or the cops were securing him for transport. As I said before, people on drugs are unpredictable. From an EMT stand point, if a person states they cannot breath, they can as they are able to speak.

    The officers and EMT's were only protecting themselves. In the US, EMT's are paid close to the same amount as McDonald's employees. They do it because they care, but they also have to protect themselves. The average salary for cops in the city I live in is 35-40K a year starting pay. (I actually work for the city I live in, and after 16 years, make more then some of the cops.)

    I am not trying to be argumentative or self righteous, but working so close with both EMT's and PD, I have seen what they have to deal with. Drug usage is not easy to deal with.
    Off topic but I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area- cops and EMTs start out making small fortunes here. I realize we're not anywhere near the norm but starting pay for cops is around $60K easy. EMTs are also paid very well. Of course, considering a standard 3 BR 2 BA house 1500 square foot home can easily cost well upwards of $750K in my area - $60K isn't much. I always say we're not living in the real world around here- everything is through the stratosphere! Totally agree with you about EMTs and their caring nature!
    This too shall pass


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesneakers View Post
    So much of this is confusing to me. Did his wife call the police when she pulled over? Was it the cops who tied him down or the EMTs? Or did they work together?

    Now the DA is saying there was no misconduct and he likely died due to a "heart issue."
    "heart issue" can mean so many things......

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    4,607
    Quote Originally Posted by cinsbythesea View Post
    I hadn't heard about this at all. How awful. And yet another case of excessive force and another death while in police custody.

    While I understand the effects of LSD can be scary to those trying to deal with the person experiencing them, is it really necessary to hogtie an individual and ignore his statements that he can't breathe?

    Something's really gone wrong with the way law enforcement handles calls. They seem way too quick to react with over-the-top force than in the past.

    Scary.
    I did a ton of LSD back in the day.

    Never became agressive nor attracted police attention.

    Hogtying a man until he dies was , IMO, not at all related to LSD. Coke?, maybe, steriods, maybe......even alcohol....but acid? Pshaw.

    Another cop trying to show off his POWER.

    It is disgusting.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    16,640
    Quote Originally Posted by EllieBee View Post
    I did a ton of LSD back in the day.

    Never became agressive nor attracted police attention.

    Hogtying a man until he dies was , IMO, not at all related to LSD. Coke?, maybe, steriods, maybe......even alcohol....but acid? Pshaw.

    Another cop trying to show off his POWER.

    It is disgusting.
    I watch something like that and it makes me so angry but it also breaks my heart ... where is their humanity?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    698
    I am not afraid of interacting with the police. I don't do drugs, am respectful and will do what they ask me to without questioning.

    I have no sympathy for those who don't follow these simple rules. It's not the police's job to babysit your drunken/spoiled/druggie ass. They are not your mommy to hold your hand and hug you because you are sad and brandishing a gun.

    I come from a country in which the police are a mockery. They are made fun of, spit on or ignored by criminals. I very much like the US police.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    16,640
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulu14 View Post
    I am not afraid of interacting with the police. I don't do drugs, am respectful and will do what they ask me to without questioning.

    I have no sympathy for those who don't follow these simple rules. It's not the police's job to babysit your drunken/spoiled/druggie ass. They are not your mommy to hold your hand and hug you because you are sad and brandishing a gun.

    I come from a country in which the police are a mockery. They are made fun of, spit on or ignored by criminals. I very much like the US police.
    I expect police officers to provide protection and care to citizens. Protect and serve, right? They were not serving nor protecting anyone in this incident.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. GUILTY TX - Troy Causey, 18, dies of head trauma, Dallas, 24 March 2014
    By tbum in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-21-2016, 02:45 PM
  2. GUILTY PA - Troy LaFerrara, 42, dies in Craigslist thrill killing, Sunbury, 11 Nov 2013
    By coopzoo in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 267
    Last Post: 02-07-2016, 02:52 AM
  3. GUILTY OH - Jason Dunikowski & Andreia Huffman for child abuse, Cleveland, 2010
    By BeanE in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-17-2015, 06:49 PM
  4. OH - Chance Poindexter, 2, dies in Troy apartment fire, 10 May 2015
    By los2188 in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-10-2015, 03:47 PM
  5. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-17-2014, 02:35 AM