TX - Sandra Bland, 28, found dead in jail cell, Waller County, 13 July 2015 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrimeSuspect

Reaction score
'I will light you up': Confronting arrest video emerges after woman mysteriously found dead in her Texas jail cell

Disturbing dashcam video of the arrest of a black woman later found dead in her cell has been released, as US authorities try to piece together the final moments of the civil rights activist’s life.
Sandra Bland, 28, was arrested on July 10 after she changed lanes without indicating in front of an officer in Waller County, Texas.
Three days after she was detained, Ms Bland was found dead in her cell from an apparent suicide – a cause of death her family has vehemently disputed.
The investigation is ongoing and murder has not yet been ruled out as a cause of death, Waller County District Attorney Elton Mathis told reporters yesterday.
http://www.9news.com.au/world/2015/...ad-in-her-texas-jail-cell#dJcxcRB5K8wScfHt.99

2207_sandrabland_a.ashx

[video=youtube;xphV_PnNCos]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xphV_PnNCos[/video]
July 22, 2015: Newly released footage, shot from a police Dashcam, shows the confrontational and heated arrest of a Texan woman who would later die in police custody.

Thread #1

This is a common argument I hear. Basically what it says to me is , "don't worry about the good guys being bad, worry about the bad guys being bad."
Of course the criminal element needs to be weeded out. But the average law abiding citizen needs to be able to trust LE. Rightly or wrongly that trust is being lost. Yes I believe MSM is pushing that agenda for some reason.

The few bad cops make the many good ones look bad, because most of us don't understand why the good ones can't condemn the actions of the few. JMO

When I think of 'bad cops' that need to be weeded out, I am thinking of crooked cops on the take. Or cops that plant evidence. IMO, the other cops need to stand up and root those creeps out. It is essential that they do.

But I don't see YET any solid evidence that this was a crooked, rotten cop. He did allow this woman's hostility to get under his skin. That was wrong and he should be punished, demoted etc for that shortcoming. But I don't think the other cops are going to be all that upset about it. More likely they will be understanding because they know how hard it is sometimes.

"She started yanking away, then she kicked me, so I took her straight to the ground"

NO

She asked you if you wanted her to sit on the ground, you said no and THEN took her to the ground.

This guy was having a boring day and wanted some action. JMO

When I think of 'bad cops' that need to be weeded out, I am thinking of crooked cops on the take. Or cops that plant evidence. IMO, the other cops need to stand up and root those creeps out. It is essential that they do.

But I don't see YET any solid evidence that this was a crooked, rotten cop. He did allow this woman's hostility to get under his skin. That was wrong and he should be punished, demoted etc for that shortcoming. But I don't think the other cops are going to be all that upset about it. More likely they will be understanding because they know how hard it is sometimes.

In your mind, what do you think Ms. bland did that was "hostile"?

He didn't plant evidence but he worked the situation until he could get a reason to say it was a valid arrest. No way did the video from the observer/taper show a "kick" done with a purpose or on purpose.
She wasn't standing and drew her foot back to lay one on him. She was on the ground on her stomach trying to get up because the female officer instructed her to get up.
And we all know he was incorrect to inform her she was under arrest as he was getting her out of her car. He knew it too,and that's why he didn't have an answer to her question of why.
If that was the kicking incident it wouldn't have flown.IMO
He should be fired. Having a bad day from job stress isn't reason enough to impact the life of SB in the way that he did. IMO

"She started yanking away, then she kicked me, so I took her straight to the ground"

NO

She asked you if you wanted her to sit on the ground, you said no and THEN took her to the ground.

This guy was having a boring day and wanted some action. JMO

I wonder if taking someone "straight to the ground" is an official technique of arrest and control. Is it what officers are trained to do when a threat of lighting someone up doesn't subdue them?

Ms. Bland was already handcuffed when she was put on the ground face first with a knee in her back. There were two officers there at the time of her being put on the ground. She still had not been told what she was under arrest for either. Before the officer put her on the ground he radioed in that he had her under control. So again I ask, why was she put face down on the ground with a knee in her back?

In your mind, what do you think Ms. bland did that was "hostile"?

He walks to drivers window--she meets him with ' Im waiting on YOU, its your job...bla bla...' she was being rude and condescending for no reason. He asked her politely, if she wouldn't mind putting out her cig and she went all civil rights on him. There was no need for that. He made a polite request and she answered rudely.

He was a cop on a power trip. His attitude escalated the situation - and unfortunately for her she fed right into his attitude, giving him reason to further escalate. There are so many things he did wrong that I will be amazed if he keeps his job. Threatening to "light her up", threatening to drag her from her car, telling her she was under arrest but not telling her why to name just a few.

MY SO and I have had about a gazillion conversations about this case - I appreciate his input as a former LEO and how he would have handled the situation, what he thinks this cop did that was right and wrong. We usually disagree on anything law enforcement related as he is solidly on the side of the blue brotherhood and me...not so much, in good part because of the absolutely appalling stories he told me about his own days in law enforcement.

Why ask her why she's irritated? Seriously? That's where it started in my opinion. When she admitted yes she was irritated he was off and running. In my opinion, he knew what he was doing and kept upping the ante, knowing he was getting her more and more irritated and upset. She tried to be reasonable with him, even remarking that she couldn't believe this was happening for a simple failure to signal a lane change but by then HE was the one that wasn't going to de-escalate. Cops like him are what give police a bad name. I'm solidly in the camp that hopes he's fired. My SO disagrees - he thinks he should be given a desk job of some sort- not allowed to deal with the public at large. I wonder sometimes how he felt when he heard she had died...I'll never know of course, but I do wonder...

Ms. Bland was already handcuffed when she was put on the ground face first with a knee in her back. There were two officers there at the time of her being put on the ground. She still had not been told what she was under arrest for either. Before the officer put her on the ground he radioed in that he had her under control. So again I ask, why was she put face down on the ground with a knee in her back?

And apparently hard enough for a leaf to be embedded in her back 3 days later. Did anyone else see that in the autopsy report? Excessive force.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And apparently hard enough for a leaf to be embedded in her back 3 days later. Did anyone else see that in the autopsy report? Excessive force.

A leaf was embedded in her back?! No, I didn't see that. Damn.

That's disturbing on so many levels. I didn't know that. And honestly, I wish I still didn't. :(

That's disturbing on so many levels. I didn't know that. And honestly, I wish I still didn't. :(

I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to upset you or anyone else. That piece of info has just been floating around in my head since I read it. [emoji20]

I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to upset you or anyone else. That piece of info has just been floating around in my head since I read it. [emoji20]

No need for apologies! It's just one more upsetting piece of information in a story full of upsetting pieces of information. It certainly points out the force he used when he had her down on the ground doesn't it? It's all just so sickening. You wouldn't believe this could have played out the way it did if someone had written it as a piece of fiction...

Sounds like she wasn't even allowed to shower for the 3 days she was there! I don't know policy and procedure, but that seems extreme as well. (maybe not)

I noticed the info about the leaf - I hadn't joined the dots. Just awful [emoji17]

The police are not meant to be judge and jury. HOW does a woman end up in custody for 3 days when there was no pretext for arresting her in the first place?! I can't get my head around it.

He was a cop on a power trip. His attitude escalated the situation - and unfortunately for her she fed right into his attitude, giving him reason to further escalate. There are so many things he did wrong that I will be amazed if he keeps his job. Threatening to "light her up", threatening to drag her from her car, telling her she was under arrest but not telling her why to name just a few.

MY SO and I have had about a gazillion conversations about this case - I appreciate his input as a former LEO and how he would have handled the situation, what he thinks this cop did that was right and wrong. We usually disagree on anything law enforcement related as he is solidly on the side of the blue brotherhood and me...not so much, in good part because of the absolutely appalling stories he told me about his own days in law enforcement.

Why ask her why she's irritated? Seriously? That's where it started in my opinion. When she admitted yes she was irritated he was off and running. In my opinion, he knew what he was doing and kept upping the ante, knowing he was getting her more and more irritated and upset. She tried to be reasonable with him, even remarking that she couldn't believe this was happening for a simple failure to signal a lane change but by then HE was the one that wasn't going to de-escalate. Cops like him are what give police a bad name. I'm solidly in the camp that hopes he's fired. My SO disagrees - he thinks he should be given a desk job of some sort- not allowed to deal with the public at large. I wonder sometimes how he felt when he heard she had died...I'll never know of course, but I do wonder...

Just curious but are you aware of her history of defending the likes of Mike Brown? IMO they were both looking for a fight and it got out of control. It's easy to place all of the blame on the LEO because that is the narrative the MSM reports and so many jump on the bandwagon

He walks to drivers window--she meets him with ' Im waiting on YOU, its your job...bla bla...' she was being rude and condescending for no reason. He asked her politely, if she wouldn't mind putting out her cig and she went all civil rights on him. There was no need for that. He made a polite request and she answered rudely.

Agree. Look at her history of anti LEO rhetoric. It's out there for all that wish to see.

How does a leaf in her back equal excessive force? I think some desperately want this case to be something it is clearly not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member