FL FL - Austin Stephanos & Perry Cohen, both 14, Jupiter, 24 July 2015 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
WTH...two 14 year olds navigating a 19 foot yacht on their own in the Bahamas???????

I'm wondering if msm has exaggerated by calling it a yacht. A friend of mine on FB is friends with one of the family members. The family member describes the boat as a white 18 foot seacraft with a 115 Yamaha engine.

Here's the missing flyer that's being asked to be shared on FB:

missing-11800308_790193334429179_2951016767365949105_n.jpg

The Coast Guard is searching for two 14-year-old fishermen last seen in the Atlantic waters off Jupiter, Florida.
Authorities say Austin Stephanos and Perry Cohen did not return as scheduled Friday from a fishing trip. The pair was last seen buying fuel Friday afternoon in the Jupiter area.

The teens had been fishing from a 19-foot vessel with a single engine center console.
Coast Guard air and sea search-and-rescue crews have covered more than 5,300 square nautical miles, including waters as far north as Melbourne. More at link.
http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/...ng-Off-Palm-Beach-County-Coast-318530831.html

WTH...two 14 year olds navigating a 19 foot yacht on their own in the Bahamas???????

Shocking two 14 year olds being allowed ... Personal friend here on thread ..is this so?

http://m.wsvn.com/article.html?hash...sing-teens-reportedly-on-bahamas-fishing-trip

I am hoping for the best. But I am also wondering if an adult actually 'okayed' this trip. They are on a 19 foot yacht, last seen yesterday (Friday, 7-24-15) @ 1:30 pm putting $10 of gas in the boat. Grandma called the authorities at 5-5:30pm.

FWIW -- the missing poster said that they bought $110 of fuel. Still, it's a pretty stupid play, even if they were familiar with the water.

Why are 2 14 yo's out fishing by themselves??? This is awful. I pray that they are ok.

I was totally fine with two 14 year olds out fishing independently until I saw that they were on a boat... Were they really unsupervised?

I live in a coastal community. It's not uncommon for boys raised up in small fishing towns to A) own boats on their own. B) launch and boat alone and C) to have the funds (via selling bait, or other odd jobs) to afford the gas.
I'd feel safer with a 14 year old "local" than my own DH, just because they are raised to know how to handle most situations.

Prayers for these young fishermen and their families. Hoping they just had a power failure and will be back on track soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was really rough on the west coast of Florida (Tampa) the past couple days and I can assume it went over to that side. I'm worried about how the weather played into this too.

I live in a coastal community. It's not uncommon for boys raised up in small fishing towns to A) own boats on their own. B) launch and boat alone and C) to have the funds (via selling bait, or other odd jobs) to afford the gas.
I'd feel safer with a 14 year old "local" than my own DH, just because they are raised to know how to handle most situations.

Prayers for these young fishermen and their families. Hoping they just had a power failure and will be back on track soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree these kids are raised on these waters.
Same with surfers!
Im in the Sarasota= Ft Myers area and some of us have had 10 inches of rain since friday
A lot of storms. today is no better!

Prayers for these two young men!

Maybe they are docked somewhere. don't u think they would have found the boat or pieces of it if
they had an accident?

FWIW -- the missing poster said that they bought $110 of fuel. Still, it's a pretty stupid play, even if they were familiar with the water.

The original article stated $10 when I first read it. That actually made me think that these 2 had no idea what they were doing. Now it sounds like they are more experienced. But I still think this was a typical teenage decision, No thought of the consequences, etc. And I don't think an adult gave permission for this little 'joy-boating.'

How has the weather been in that area lately?

There have been lightening storms every late afternoon including Friday early evening.
This is an area of fishermen--not uncommon for boys or teens to be out on boats.
I believe the area as noted the "sailfish capital of the world" with lots of fishing tournaments taking place.
It is significant to note that the gulf stream with a very strong current touches this location which is unusual (hence the great fishing). The Gulf Stream currents comes from the south & pulls strongly to the north & then to the north east.

We are in the rainy season now whereby late afternoon/early evening fast-moving lightening storms with strong wind gusts are the norm.

By the way, their boat is no yacht....it is a center-console fishing vessel.

Praying for a safe return for these young fishermen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23