Thread: Minnesota Asked to Take 5,000 Refugees

Minnesota Asked to Take 5,000 Refugees

Full story: http://www.startribune.com/stories/125/5595500.html

http://www.bugmenot.com

Minnesota has been asked by federal officials to find ways to house up to 5,000 refugees stranded without homes in the wake of the Hurricane Katrina disaster, Gov. Tim Pawlenty said today.

Pawlenty and other leaders from the state and charitable organizations will outline a plan on how to make that happen at a news conference Saturday afternoon at the State Capitol, said Kevin Smith, spokesman for the Department of Public Safety.

The request from the Federal Emergency Management Agency came Friday night, Smith said.

"We have to assess what our capabilities are," he said. "We'll do it but we have to figure out how to do it."

Why Minnesota? Or are all states being asked to take in a large group of evacuees? I think that is the most logical solution so as not to overwhelm te resources of neighboring states like Texas. If each community offered to take in a family, it would be a relatively painless way for all Americans to offer relief.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypros
    Why Minnesota? Or are all states being asked to take in a large group of evacuees? I think that is the most logical solution so as not to overwhelm te resources of neighboring states like Texas. If each community offered to take in a family, it would be a relatively painless way for all Americans to offer relief.

Whoo, doggie. I would imagine that Minnesota is not a place most people who are used to living a sub-tropic life are going to want to be come December. I echo your question: why Minnesota?

I have no idea why Minnesota was asked. I haven't heard an update yet from the conference this afternoon in Saint Paul. I will be watching the news & checking online and will post as soon as I know. (Or if any other MN residents have heard, hopefully they'll have some input on why MN was chosen)

Quote Originally Posted by kgeaux
    Whoo, doggie. I would imagine that Minnesota is not a place most people who are used to living a sub-tropic life are going to want to be come December. I echo your question: why Minnesota?

Michigan (my state) has offered to take 10,000 evacuees and home them at a military base near Battle Creek. The state also has offered some its National Guard aircraft to bring people to Michigan. The offer hasn't yet been accepted, although collections of food and other items are being made.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSays
    I have no idea why Minnesota was asked. I haven't heard an update yet from the conference this afternoon in Saint Paul. I will be watching the news & checking online and will post as soon as I know. (Or if any other MN residents have heard, hopefully they'll have some input on why MN was chosen)

Sweetie, if y'all do take some in, and bless you if you do, be aware that down here, 45 degrees is "freezing my butt off" weather. If it goes down to 32 we make a big pot of gumbo and pray we don't have to go outside. And you ought to see a Louisianian driving on icy roads!! VERY scary.

I completely understand! I'm originally from Texas and I'm of the same belief that 45 is freezing my butt off too! It is so funny when people here find out where I'm from - they all have a sly laugh and say, oh just wait for winter, you're in for the shock of your life! I've been here during winter before, and it'll freeze your lungs to go outside. This winter will be my first full one of living here.

Quote Originally Posted by kgeaux
    Sweetie, if y'all do take some in, and bless you if you do, be aware that down here, 45 degrees is "freezing my butt off" weather. If it goes down to 32 we make a big pot of gumbo and pray we don't have to go outside. And you ought to see a Louisianian driving on icy roads!! VERY scary.

Update.......

Sometime in the coming week, planes will begin bringing victims of Hurricane Katrina to Minnesota, which is preparing to host as many as 5,000 evacuees for a year or longer.

The Camp Ripley military compound will serve as the primary receiving point because of its existing housing quarters and medical facilities. But Gov. Tim Pawlenty, who announced the relocation Saturday, hopes to move people into longer-term housing within 45 days of their arrival.

"We're scrambling here hard to get these plans in place,'' Pawlenty said.

Pawlenty's Department of Education is helping gather school supplies, the Minnesota Housing Finance Agency is taking an inventory of available housing and the Department of Health is developing plans to screen and offer medical assistance to the victims.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency asked state officials to accept up to 5,000, although Pawlenty administration leaders say they are anticipating a smaller contingent, perhaps 3,000.

"They are us,'' Pawlenty said. "This is not just a natural disaster. This is a national tragedy and it deserves a national response and all of us should do our share.''
    Last edited by Texas 1; 09-04-2005 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Edited for copyright issues...See thread on this forum about copyright....

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSays
    Minnesota, which is preparing to host as many as 5,000 evacuees for a year or longer.
    A year or longer - this gives you an idea of the scope of this disaster.

How long did it take to clean up ground zero in NYC? Now imagine an entire city.

I am from Southern California but moved to the coast of Lake Erie a few years ago. Everybody thought I would be packing up and heading west as soon as the first good snow came in. I admit I do not like the LONG winters but I've adjusted fine. I had to get studs on my tires to grip the icy roads better, and learn a few new driving skills, but all is fine. I think it is great that MN stepped up and is taking in so many evacuees. A military base i an excellent location. Best of luck to them all.

2luvmy is offline RIP Ragdoll. You don't get to choose how you're going to die, or when. You can only decide how you're going to live now.
    I think that eventually all states will be asked to take in people. On our news tonight, it was announced that Illinois was receiving 1,000 evacuees soon.

As early as this week, Minnesota will put out the welcome mat for 3,000 Gulf Coast region residents who lost their homes to Hurricane Katrina. And it looks like they'll be here long enough to need caps and gloves.

As part of a national plan developed by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to find long-term quarters for evacuees, Gov. Tim Pawlenty said Saturday that within the next two weeks Minnesota will house hurricane victims temporarily at Camp Ripley, a National Guard training facility in central Minnesota near Little Falls. From there, they will be moved to cities and towns around the state that can provide long-term accommodations, perhaps in private homes or vacant apartments.

Pawlenty fully expects that some of the displaced people will stay in Minnesota -- even though it is on the opposite, and chillier, end of the Mississippi River from where most of them live. He hopes that some may even bolster communities with sagging populations and stunted job growth.

Kelly, Shellito, PawlentyTom SweeneyStar Tribune"We know when people come to Minnesota, they like it," he said.

He called upon citizens to help welcome the evacuees with contributions of fall and winter clothing for all sizes and ages.

People who want to help, Pawlenty said, should call either the new state hot line this weekend or dial 211, the United Way help line that he said will serve as a clearinghouse for hurricane-related inquiries.

3,000 vs. 5,000

State officials began scrambling to prepare for the evacuees Friday night, when FEMA asked Minnesota to relocate up to 5,000 hurricane victims.

Other states got similar requests. In the next few days four -- Arizona, Arkansas, Georgia and Utah -- will receive 35,000 from Louisiana. Michigan has offered to house 10,000 refugees, and West Virginia will receive as many as 3,000 in the next few days.

Pawlenty, surrounded by state agency heads, leaders of volunteer agencies and Mayors Randy Kelly of St. Paul and R.T. Rybak of Minneapolis, announced the relocation plan at a midafternoon news conference at the State Capitol. Specifics were being developed, and Pawlenty said more details would be provided Tuesday.