Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    8,276

    Carnival sending crusie ships...

    Carnival is sending 3 ships to provide housing for 6 months!

    http://home.peoplepc.com/psp/newssto...50903806944392


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    14,170
    that is a great idea!!

    I was wondering if some big hotels could do the same thing.
    Maybe some of the donations received can help with covering some costs, and then tax write offs can help cover the rest.

    room service and warm beds for families!

    Hooray for carnival!!


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    In heels
    Posts
    27,896
    Wowza. Way to go Carnival Cruiselines*!

    *please don't let kathy Lee Gifford sing anymore


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    In heels
    Posts
    27,896
    Wait a minute, hold the presses.... I thought Carnival was donating these ships... according to the article the Feds have 'chartered' them.

    ~~~~~~~

    Federal officials are chartering three of Carnival Cruise Lines' ships for six months, part of a plan to provide shelter for as many as 7,000 people displaced by devastating Hurricane Katrina.

    The three ships - the Ecstasy, Sensation and Holiday - will be pulled from regular use starting Monday.

    Ecstasy, normally ported at Galveston for four-and five-day cruises, and Sensation, normally in New Orleans for similar trips, will both be pulled Monday and are scheduled to dock and house Katrina refugees in Galveston, Texas.


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    14,799
    The fed said early on that cruise ships were a possibility. Just hope they stay in the Mississippi River and not venture out to sea. Too much worry there.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    In heels
    Posts
    27,896
    CP, they are going to Galveston to dock and stay indefinately.


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    8,276
    I just heard on Fox that Carnival is being compensated by FEMA.
    What a way to step up Carnival! Thanks soooo much from the bottom of my TAX PAYING heart.


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    14,799
    Quote Originally Posted by Casshew
    CP, they are going to Galveston to dock and stay indefinately.
    Oh good, I feel better. I am sure these cruise ships are OK but some of the things I have heard recently are unsettling.I just don't want anymore trauma than is necessary.


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    4,533
    Quote Originally Posted by mic730
    I just heard on Fox that Carnival is being compensated by FEMA.
    What a way to step up Carnival! Thanks soooo much from the bottom of my TAX PAYING heart.
    'Compensation' often doesn't mean paying the market rate. Carnival had to refund probably 10's of thousands of cruise passengers money to free up those ships - they're taking a direct loss here; I think it's OK to compensate them some for that.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    8,276
    Quote Originally Posted by Details
    'Compensation' often doesn't mean paying the market rate. Carnival had to refund probably 10's of thousands of cruise passengers money to free up those ships - they're taking a direct loss here; I think it's OK to compensate them some for that.
    I hope youre right. Some clarification of comenesation would be nice.
    However, it is not a pressing matter at the momment


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    lala land
    Posts
    9,622
    Quote Originally Posted by Details
    'Compensation' often doesn't mean paying the market rate. Carnival had to refund probably 10's of thousands of cruise passengers money to free up those ships - they're taking a direct loss here; I think it's OK to compensate them some for that.
    It's okay to compensate them, but wouldn't it have been so much better if Carnival had absorbed the loss? Walmart donated $2mil. Other companies have donated more. If nothing else, it's good PR. Certainly worth tens of thousands.


  12. #12
    poco's Avatar
    poco is offline A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Flora-frickin-duh
    Posts
    38,905
    So how many people fit on one ship?

    Sounds better than the Astrodome, I guess.

    So often times it happens that we live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. ...Eagles, "Already Gone"


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    4,533
    Quote Originally Posted by Mabel
    It's okay to compensate them, but wouldn't it have been so much better if Carnival had absorbed the loss? Walmart donated $2mil. Other companies have donated more. If nothing else, it's good PR. Certainly worth tens of thousands.
    I think it may be more than $2 mill to have those ships tied up, not serving customers for that long. A 3 day cruise is anywhere between 500 and 5000 per person (depending on the level of cabin, etc.), the ships hold thousands of people, and are continuously going out on cruises. I could easily see Carnival's losses here being more than 2 million (and they don't have the resources Walmart has).


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    lala land
    Posts
    9,622
    Quote Originally Posted by Details
    I think it may be more than $2 mill to have those ships tied up, not serving customers for that long. A 3 day cruise is anywhere between 500 and 5000 per person (depending on the level of cabin, etc.), the ships hold thousands of people, and are continuously going out on cruises. I could easily see Carnival's losses here being more than 2 million (and they don't have the resources Walmart has).
    Okay, I'll give you that.


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    In heels
    Posts
    27,896
    Poco.. I'd have to double check but probably 2000+ per ship, comfortably.

    There is also lots of recreational space, for some 'elbow room' so they are not all crammed on top of each other. The cabins range from tiny 150square foot inside cabins (no windows) to large suites with balconies. It will be interesting to hear how they are assigned.


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •