Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: SOUND OFF! Say what's on your mind, but do not RESPOND TO what other posters write.

SOUND OFF! Say what's on your mind, but do not RESPOND TO what other posters write.

This Space Is For Anyone Who Feels The Need To Sound Off About Hurricane Katrina, The How's, The Who's, The What's.

Please Do Not Use This Thread To Respond To Another Posters Thoughts. This Is Just An Opportunity To Get Those Pent Up Feelings Out. This Is A Good Release. Have Fun.
    Last edited by Beyond Belief; 09-03-2005 at 08:52 PM. Reason: DIRECTIONS NOT CLEAR.............

Do not use this thread to sound off about other posters.
    Welcome to the World Baby Caleb!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tybee204
    Do not use this thread to sound off about other posters.
    shucks. I had a few things about Cass that I really wanted to get off my chest.

OK. I am pissed. I think more could have been done early on and it wasn't. I don't like to hear of people dying before the tv cameras because of lack of water or food in the USA especially. Where there is great wealth and resources.My heart is broken for so many who have lost their lives that wasn't their fault. Because they were too POOR doesn't cut it with me when this country is so rich. And when they could have dropped water to the expressways where people were gathering. I saw this one WHITE man with swollen feet and eyes and he wasn't medivac either.

Quote Originally Posted by Mabel
    shucks. I had a few things about Cass that I really wanted to get off my chest.
    LOL

Please follow the directions and DO NOT RESPOND to another's post. Allow people to speak their hearts and minds.

American's Memories

I sure hope & pray the American People do not forget the response of our government for a very long time.

It is absolutely unforgiveable that it took our government ALMOST 1 WEEK to get in there & help. That Mayor should never had to say the things he did and an SOS should not ever have had to be issued!

If we could impeach Clinton on his sexual behavior, why can't we do something about GWB before its too late! Isn't what he has done worse?

I don't want to offend any of my Websleuths friends, but I needed to get that off my chest!

In My Honest Opinion Only.

Prayers to all the victims of Hurricane Katrina ~ no mind to color, creed or income!

1. It pisses me off that this beautiful, wonderful city is gone.
    2. that I won't be able to eat at Mother's or Cafe du Monde again or see that white alligator they had at the zoo.
    3. that so many people died, lost their homes, possessions, loved ones
    4. that thugs took advantage of the lack of le and hurt other people
    5. that assistance wasn't staged to go in sooner
    6. to hear the race card used....that is racist imo

Quote Originally Posted by Only4Justice
    I sure hope & pray the American People do not forget the response of our government for a very long time.

It is absolutely unforgiveable that it took our government ALMOST 1 WEEK to get in there & help. That Mayor should never had to say the things he did and an SOS should not ever have had to be issued!

If we could impeach Clinton on his sexual behavior, why can't we do something about GWB before its too late! Isn't what he has done worse?

I don't want to offend any of my Websleuths friends, but I needed to get that off my chest!

Prayers to all the victims of Hurricane Katrina ~ no mind to color, creed or income!
    I miss Bill Clinton, I'd take him today with all the Monica's he wanted in exchange for the twit we have now!

less0305 is offline The face is familiar, but I can't quite remember my name!
    I'm really mad that I didn't go to Mardi Gras last year like I talked about. Now I may never have the chance.
    It's my own two cents. You don't have to read or like it.

Do Not Respond To The Post Of Others. Speak Your Mind, Not Theirs.

Don't Turn This Into A Debate Or Conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Beyond Belief
    Do Not Respond To The Post Of Others. Speak Your Mind, Not Theirs.

Don't Turn This Into A Debate Or Conversation.
    OK OK!! You sure are bossy!

I am just sickened by the entire thing, everything I have seen makes me sick! TOO MANY things for me to even begn to make my list!

I'll get back to post when there has been some time & distance and I can find the verbage

Let's all just think of ways to help ... and be angry later.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda7NJ
    I miss Bill Clinton, I'd take him today with all the Monica's he wanted in exchange for the twit we have now!
    Thank You, for agreeing with me on that point LOL

I was just reading on another board, and it changed my perspective somewhat (not about GWB).

Alot of people bear responsibility, not for the hurricane of course, but for its aftermath. Why didn't the city, county & state have exacuation plans in place? It wasn't all the responsibility of the federal government....

Did they honestly believe everyone in the entire city of New Orleans could leave on their own? What about the hospital patients, elderly, etc.?

They did have warning the hurricane was coming. If my memory serves me correctly, it was a Level 5 at one point right before hitting the coast!

Prayers to all the victims of Hurricane Katrina. Godspeed to All of You....

I hate this feeling of hopelessness. I want to do MORE than donate money. I want to hold and help and comfort those poor people. Our news here in Utah keeps saying that 1000 refugees are going to come here and we'll take care of them for as long as it takes, but still....it just seems like there's more to do.

And yet, I'm a financially challenged newlywed who cries when she sees pictures of the devastation and gets angry when she thinks about how long its taken for help to arrive.

Ok, I've said my piece. For now.
    Jaybird

This tragedy could have been prevented... those levees have been a concern for years... maybe this will show others that "It can't happen to us" very well can and does....
    /

"Would some power the Giftee gie us To see ourselves as others see us" R.Burns

Quote Originally Posted by jaybird
    I hate this feeling of hopelessness. I want to do MORE than donate money. I want to hold and help and comfort those poor people. Our news here in Utah keeps saying that 1000 refugees are going to come here and we'll take care of them for as long as it takes, but still....it just seems like there's more to do.

And yet, I'm a financially challenged newlywed who cries when she sees pictures of the devastation and gets angry when she thinks about how long its taken for help to arrive.

Ok, I've said my piece. For now.
    Well, it's my never ending refrain, but they need more than money, and it won't take more than an hour or so of your time. Go to the blood bank and donate blood. They need it.

And keep doing it, there's a chronic blood shortage - not enough people donate. It's a way of doing something great for charity that doesn't cost you any money.

I've donated somewhere between 5 and 10 gallons so far in my life, so if anyone has any questions or concerns about it, PM me or ask online. No question is stupid.

Great thinking on the blood donations. My husband does it all the time. I think we'll call and make an appointment now....
    Jaybird

Do Not Respond To Anothers Posts.

Thanks for this thread!

I'm kind of hoping SOMEONE in public office reads what Americans (at least WS'rs) REALLY think about the performance (lack of, slowness) in this situation. Each minute, hour and DAY that passes in this devastation is horrendous. I saw Shepard Smith and Anderson Cooper and you could see the shock, horror and disbelief in their faces and the pain in their voices...Shepard Smith BEGGING for SOMEONE to come to the exit to help people who were dying, sick, without food, water, supplies (and had been from DAY ONE)! This was last night!! So many people have dropped the ball or waited for others and some of this appears to be the bureacracy!! That needs to change, IMO.

I saw Al Gore (somewhere) on Fox New just now and he looks awful. Man, I used to think he was attractive but he has really aged a lot lately....still not ugly to look at! : )

I even had to give credit to WHORALDO for the effort, although can't stand his reporting. At least he had a right, IMO, to be acting the way he was!

I heard about a guy who pulled up and shot someone right in front of people...I did not get all the story and don't want to guess, but it seemed they said police did it?

Regarding the thugs...I wish some of these good people (if they had the energy and were not ill) could get one of these thugs (or more) and let them know they aren't going to take it anymore!! Maybe they can keep that mentality to keep those thugs out from now on. I'm sickened by these people and I feel they are nothing more than rabid animals!

Okay...this is day 6 and I still have no clue why everyone (especially the ones VERY visible to the trucks driving by, the helicopters, etc.) have not been rescued???? They NEED communication and authority, even though it does seem to be getting better lately (dunno). I have heard over and over and over that the lack of communication seems to be the main problem and I think we had that problem with 9/11 as well. Ummm, that was FIVE YEARS ago...it's time to think of AMERICANS FIRST! It's time to LEARN by the PAST and IMPROVE this...should have been done already!

I'm rambling (as usual) and this is not very organized but it's my feelings.

I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours.

I am disgusted and disgraced by our government... from the top all the way to the bottom. I am sickened by all of them.

Nancy

Yay for the media. They showed the world what was going on when the spokespeople were sugarcoating it or/and outright lying. They helped force the government to finally get some kind of action going. They're continuing to documenting what happened and asking the questions we should all be asking. They let the people who suffered and lost everything have a voice. I've just been reading articles and blogs and opinion pieces. Most people, including scientists and professors, know what a failure the response was, and the media is giving them a voice. Yay for the media.

I just got off the phone with my sister. She has been in disaster relief for FEMA and the Red Cross forever.
    She has been working at FEMA last week.
    She said it was heart wrenching work.
    But she also places blame squarely at the city and state level. She said rule of thumb for any city that she has ever been in charge of disaster is to be self sufficient for 72 hours, because it takes that long for federal help to arrive. She said there were 250 school buses that should have been evacuating citizens at the city level imediately before the hurricane struck. But now they just lay under flood waters completely useless.
    She said the levy commission was severly lax in doing their jobs.She said she saw many things mishandled at the state and city level that could have made a big difference. FWIW. She said it was the job of the mayor and the governor to get be prepared for this inevitable disaster. but since New Orleans has dodged the bullet so many times, it just wasn't prepared.
    Last edited by JBean; 09-04-2005 at 06:51 AM.

I am sick of people blaming people.
    I am sick of people who are not showing compassion.
    I am sick of the horrible people shooting people and taking advantage of a horrendous tragedy to loot non necessary items, raping people, etc.
    I am sick of people saying it is the governments fault.
    I am embarrassed by the actions of so many people in New Orleans.(the thugs)
    I am so proud of so many people in New Orleans, (and other storm ravaged survivors)their courage and faith.
    I am proud of many people in the US who are giving and showing compassion.
    I am proud of the people who have put their lives in harms way to help people.
    I pray we can rebuild and become stronger.

God bless the USA!

I did not know this...but my husband said (and he's pretty smart and knows a lot more than I do) that the President does not have the authority to just send in help to a state or city. That FLOORED me! I think the Gov. of LA dropped the ball as well as others on down the line and I kept screaming and asking WHY ISN'T THE PRESIDENT DOING SOMETHING?!! Hubby said it has to be asked for from the Mayor to the Gov and then to the Pres. IMO, the Gov didn't have a clue. I mean, even if they didn't try to prevent it....there is no reason why they shouldn't have had help in a safe area (once they found out it was going to be this huge) so that they could move in immediately! Throughout history there are always those who stay during hurricanes (for various reasons) and that shouldn't be a big surprise to anyone. The hurricane must not have been considered that big of a problem if those patients were still in nursing homes and hospitals, IMO. Hopefully, from now on, people will decide to leave when they are recommended to do so. But, don't punish them by letting them die, starve, go without medication, be exposed to dead bodies floating around even 5 1/2 days later, exposure to infectious diseases, murder, rapes, etc., etc.!! JMO

I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast