1138 users online (276 members and 862 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

MS - Choctaw activist Rexdale Henry, dead at 53 in Neshoba County Jail

Jail Death Under Investigation (wtok.com)

Death of Choctaw Activist Rexdale Henry Prompts Private Autopsy (Jackson Free Press)

A private autopsy is under way for Rexdale W. Henry, a 53-year-old man found dead inside the Neshoba County Jail in Philadelphia, Miss., on July 14.

According to WTOK, detention officers found Henry's body around 10 a.m.; he was last seen alive 30 minutes earlier. The state crime lab in Jackson conducted an autopsy and the Mississippi Bureau of Investigation is looking into the case.
    ---
    Henry, a member of the Choctaw tribe and a lifelong community activist, coached stickball and had been a candidate for the Choctaw Tribal Council from Bogue Chitto the week before his arrest on July 9 for failure to pay a fine.
    ---
    more at the links

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    30 mins? That seems like such a short window. I will be very interested to see what the autopsy turns up.

We associate Neshoba County Jail, of course, with Chaney, Goodman and Schwerner -- different structure now but the physical imposition of "law and order" here eerily resonates through the years.

We associate Neshoba County Jail, of course, with Chaney, Goodman and Schwerner -- different structure now but the physical imposition of "law and order" here eerily resonates through the years.
    It did not ring any bells until I read the second linked article.

Reminds me of a line from "Driving Miss Daisy" (paraphrased):

"Don't look like to me we've come all that far".

". . . for failure to pay a fine."

My stomach is in knots after reading this.

He was arrested on July 9th and died on July 14th, so he was held for five days for failure to pay a fine?

Cellmate charged in jail death of Choctaw tribal politician

PHILADELPHIA, Miss. —The cellmate of a Philadelphia man has been charged with murder in his death in the Neshoba County Jail.

Sheriff Tommy Waddell said Justyn Schlegel, 34, was arrested this week in the death of Rexdale Wayne Henry. Waddell said Schlegel was in the cell with Henry when Henry died.

The 53-year-old Henry, a member of the Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians, was found dead about 10 a.m. on July 14.
    Waddell said Henry was jailed for failing to pay old fines.

Final autopsy results are pending. Waddell declined to say what happened in the cell pending further inquiry by the Mississippi Bureau of Investigation.
    http://www.wapt.com/news/central-mis...ician/34465410

A brother gone.
    Unless I provide a link, every one of my posts are to be considered rumor, Speculation, or simply MY OWN OPINION.

“It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it.”

The missing and murdered cannot cry out for Justice. It is the duty for the living to do so for them.

I stand with Standing Rock!