CANADA Canada - Brantford, Ont, 'Baby Parker' Male Newborn 2673UMON, Jul'05

JusticeWillBeServed

Reaction score
I just heard about this tragic case. A newborn was found deceased in a remote part of Brantford and investigators are still trying to figure out who he is and who abandoned him. They actually received a letter from someone claiming to be the mother and she said that she will try to muster up the courage to identify herself. She never contacted again and ten years later, this mystery is still unsolved.

Doe Network

Unidentified Male

Date of Discovery: July 28, 2005
Location of Discovery: Brantford, Brant County, Ontario
Estimated Date of Death: 2005
State of Remains: Unknown
Cause of Death: Not released

Physical Description

** Listed information is approximate

Estimated Age: Newborn
Race: White/Native
Height: Unknown
Weight: Unknown
Hair Color: Unknown
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown
Dentals: Not available.
Fingerprints: Not available.
DNA: Available.

Clothing & Personal Items

Clothing: None.
Jewelry: None.
Additional Personal Items: The towel containing the infant's remains was a beige Select Editions towel (100% cotton, made by Cambridge Company, and with a tag "Sea Same" which may be the designer color name) sold exclusively at Wal-Mart. It was 2' x 4' in size and in good condition.

Case History

A woman walking her dog found a full-term newborn male infant wrapped in a towel in some brush by abandoned railway tracks in a remote area of Brantford near Parkside Drive and Dufferin Avenue.

The infant was born alive and police have not revealed the cause of death. A week after the baby was found, police received a hand-written letter from someone claiming to be the mother. She said she went into labour while partying in the area, and that she would be in further contact. However, police did not hear from her again.

The letter was sent for hand-writing analysis. A DNA profile has established that both the mother and father of the baby can be identified. The infant was about 89 per cent European and 11 per cent native and both parents would be Caucasian in appearance.

The infant was dubbed "Baby Parker" due to the location where he was found. Baby Parker was buried in the children's section of the Mount Hope Cemetery in Brantford.

Mystery endures over newborn baby found dead 10 years ago in Brantford

Police are hoping that since the incident happened so long ago, the people who had been partying in the park might now come forward with more information.

The letter says the woman and her friend had to dispose with the afterbirth – and coupled with the discovery of a bloody rag near a local home days later, the two likely would have returned to the party with blood on them, police say.

"If you were with a group of youths in any of the parks or local hang out spots several days prior to the discovery of the lifeless infant's body please come forward," a police statement reads. "You may hold key information without realizing the importance."

baby-parker.jpg

11 years later, police still trying to ID dead infant found in Ontario park

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/11-years-later-police-still-trying-to-id-dead-infant-found-in-ontario-park-1.3162533?autoPlay=true

Eleven years after a woman in Brantford, Ont. came across the body of a dead baby, police are still trying to identify the infant.

Investigators eventually released excerpts of a letter written by someone claiming to be Baby Parker's mother. The full letter was released last year.

The letter writer said she had sex with other teens in the neighbourhood and got pregnant from one of the encounters. She wrote that she went into labour while in Lansdowne Park, with a friend helping her give birth. She said her friend told her the baby was dead when it was born, leading them to dispose of the body in the park.

She begged police not to seek DNA samples from any of the boys in the neighbourhood in an effort to spare the father of the baby from discovering what had happened.

The letter writer also promised to turn herself into police within a week. That was 11 years ago and police say no one has yet come forward.

Brantford Police Const. Laura Collier says police have now been able to identify fingerprints from the letter, but have yet to match that or DNA samples to anyone.

"Which indicates to us that the mother had no involvement and has had no involvement in the criminal justice system either before the birth or since that time," Collier told CTV Kitchener.

Also the police said the baby had a broken rib and the skull suffered blunt force trauma. Can a baby get blunt force trauma just from going through the birth canal? Does it say anywhere how big this baby was? Or could the baby of fallen after birth? The baby was born live, was not stillborn. The police said no street drugs or alcohol in his system.

Ok so I just talked to a teacher from brantford who was teaching in 2005. He said teens couldn’t really write cursive or read it. Some could, but by 2008 or 2009 pretty much no teens could. He taught high school at the time and just before middle school.

That being said I am finding it hard to believe she just walked away from an outdoor party gave birth, then got up and started walking back to the party and then gave birth to the placenta. Then got a drive home and no one, especially the driver, noticed. I mean you bleed for like 5-8 weeks after having a baby. Not to mention if there is any tearing.

As for the baby’s blunt force trauma to the skull, maybe this happened during delivery. Typically you need to gently support and cup the baby’s head as the baby’s head starts to come out.
Did no one hear any screaming? I mean, childbirth doesn’t tickle...

So the towel, I just kind of feel like this happened inside. Who carries around a clean towel to a party? Was this “party” near the damn in brantford?

As for the letter, also have a hard time a teen mom wrote that. 1. Because of language, and 2. Mostly because it’s in cursive. Most people I know who was a teen from the GTA and Brantford area in 2005 couldn’t write or read cursive and I confirmed with a teacher in brantford. Not saying it’s not possible, but just doesn’t seem likely. I mean would have been more believable if this happened in 1997.

I am curious to hear what the graphologist came up with.

Such a sad case. Babies are not garbage that can be thrown away like that :(
This was the graphologists’s personality assessment:

1. Immature person. Likely very young (young teen) - maybe older but dropped out of school
2. Someone who was criticized a lot her whole life. Rarely uplifted and possible that she suffered from a form of childhood trauma.
3. Someone who gives in to please other people - as this relate to her low self esteem. Her exact words were “strong yielder to other people’ but despite this she does have independent thinking and appears to be a logical careful thinker.
4. Signs of someone who has fears of expressing themselves in fear of criticism
5. Ego needs to be built up. Someone likely suffering from depression. Low self value. Not self confident.

The baby was born live. He was not stillborn. The police did not release the cause of death but did mention fractured rib(s) and blunt force trauma to the head. Also no alcohol or street drugs in the infant’s system. The baby was nude and wrapped in a 2 x 4 “ clean towel (Walmart brand). The baby was detached from the placenta. The placenta was discovered the day after the infant’s body was discovered- a short distance away in someone’s backyard. It is possible that if the umbilical cord was cut and not tied, the baby would exsanguinate, which could possibly be the cause of death. Two main arteries to the heart are connected to the cord.

Also had a graphologist look at the letter, it is their opinion that the letter was written by a young teen. Although, right around this time youth stopped learning how to write and read in cursive. Many young teens (13 to 15) could not in 2005, however many older teens could. (In this regional area)

Ok guys I have some additional details, which I will be doing a quick 2 minute update episode on the podcast.
1. The pathologist/ ME didn’t believe (in his medical opinion) that the fractured ribs and blunt force trauma to Baby Parker happened during childbirth
2. The towel was found about 10 feet away from the baby
3. The placenta was discovered Monday July 25 in the morning. About 50 meters from the baby in someone’s backyard
4. There was decomposition to Baby Parker when he was discovered (on July 28)
5. A heavy rain fell in the area between July 24 and July 28, washing away crucial evidence.

From the police website:

On-going Criminal Investigation - Baby "Parker"

On the afternoon of Thursday, July 28, 2005, a citizen was walking her dog along an abandoned train track in a remote area of near Dufferin Avenue and Parkside Drive in the City of Brantford, when the body of a full term baby boy was discovered. An investigation was immediately launched and officers canvassed the area and DNA testing was undertaken in an effort to find the mother. Police also sought the public's assistance, stressing that the mother could be a neighbour, co-worker, or family member.

A towel used in this incident is a "Select Edition's"?, beige towel made by the Cambridge Company. It is 100% cotton and has a "Sea Same"? label which may be a designer colour name. The towel is in good condition and is sold exclusively at Wal-Mart. It is 2' x 4' in size.

On August 3, 2005, investigators received a letter from the mother of the baby. The letter stated that she will be in touch with them in the near future; however, since that time there has been no further communication. On August 12, 2005, two excerpts from this letter were released to the public:

Contact Detective Jim Sawkins by e-mail at; jsawkins@police.brantford.on.ca

On August 17, 2005, Baby Parker was laid to rest. His burial arrangements and costs were donated by Beckett and Glaves Funeral Home. Investigators named the baby boy "Baby Parker's"?, after Parkside Drive, a nearby street where he was found. However, they would rather see him buried with his family name.

Scientists at The Centre of Forensic Science have developed a DNA profile for "Baby Parker's"?. This profile has established that both the mother and father of the baby can be identified.

Police need to confirm the circumstances of the recovery of the baby and the validity of the mother's story to police. It is realized that the mother must be afraid; however, investigators need to meet with her in order to conclude the investigation.

This incident remains an active police investigation. Anyone with information is urged to contact Detective Jim Sawkins, at (519) 756-0113, ext. 2273, or CRIME STOPPERS, at 1-800-222-TIPS.

Baby Parker

Could teens even write in cursive in 2005? I know many of them now cannot. It was kind of dropped I the curriculum. Just a thought. I had to get my 12 & 15 year old to sign their passport and they struggled. They type or print but no cursive writing.

Ok so I just talked to a teacher from brantford who was teaching in 2005. He said teens couldn’t really write cursive or read it. Some could, but by 2008 or 2009 pretty much no teens could. He taught high school at the time and just before middle school.

Baby Parker was found in mid 2005; say the mother was only 16 at the time, or make it 15, even; say she just finished grade 9? They taught cursive in grades 3 and 4 I believe, so go back 6 years (grade 3 to grade 9), and the mother would've been in grade 3 in about 1999. They would've had to have stopped teaching cursive by 1999 for this mom to not have learned it in school... but I think they didn't stop teaching it in many schools until much later than that. Seems many MSM articles are talking about this in about 2013. See a couple of samples below.

All of that said, to me it looks like perhaps the mom dabbled, or tried to dabble, in caligraphy, based on some of the fancy letters in her writing. I too, have my doubts about this being a teen mom. Perhaps the letter was written to keep police off their track. jmo.
---
Government decision makers in Ontario and Quebec (and in about 45 states south of the border) have already pulled cursive as a learning expectation from the curriculum. (Prior to 2006 in Ontario, it was listed in the grades three and four language syllabus.)

The end of cursive writing in schools?
---
CTV Kitchener Published Friday, June 24, 2016 3:31PM EDT :

The Brant Haldimand Norfolk Catholic District School Board recently surveyed the principals of its 29 elementary schools, asking them whether cursive writing was being taught in their schools.

According to a report prepared for board trustees, about 40 per cent of principals reported that cursive writing was being formally taught in their schools.

'Irrelevant and obsolete'? Schools moving away from teaching cursive writing

I wouldn't personally agree that the letter 'doesn't seem to be written by a teen'. In fact I would say this girl might have been barely a teenager at all. The letter reads to be someone about 14 or 15 to me. The part where she writes that she knew she was pregnant because she didn't get her period, it sounds really immature to me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back