2004 Thread on New Orleans evacuations for Ivan

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
This thread was started by Dark Knight - last year - regarding hampered attempts to flee ivan

and a year later, here we are with a huge disaster in NO

Wow! I've commented this year that N.O. ignored the lessons from last year's near-miss, but I didn't realize it was THAT similar!!!!! Same mayor, same problems, same everything! Thanks for finding this, Cass! That archived story oughtta get people even more riled up!

Thanks Cass for posting this!
'Twas absolutely chilling.:(

love y'all,

Ariel
:(

Thanks for posting that. After all the posts on what went wrong, I now can decide for myself with absolute certainty.

Beyond Belief said:
Thanks for posting that. After all the posts on what went wrong, I now can decide for myself with absolute certainty.
Cool, now explain it to us, please, lol!

Just came across this article, seemed apropos:

New Orleans had many warnings:(
Just a year ago, Hurricane Ivan caused disaster plan review

A year ago, New Orleans reviewed its hurricane disaster plans after Hurricane Ivan gave the city a major scare forcing the evacuation of nearly 1 million people from the area.

What happened last September bears striking similarities to the problems encountered before Hurricane Katrina struck. The only difference was Ivan missed the city.

There were hours-long traffic jams. Those who had money fled, while the poor stayed. The warnings were the same: Forecasters predicted that a direct hit on the city would send torrents of water over the city's levees, creating a 20-foot-deep cesspool of human and industrial waste.

"They say evacuate, but they don't say how I'm supposed to do that," Latonya Hill, 57, told the Associated Press at the time. "If I can't walk it or get there on the bus, I don't go. I don't got a car. My daughter don't either."

:(
More at link--
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=46130

w/ much love,

Ariel:blowkiss:

Dark Knight said:
Cool, now explain it to us, please, lol!
No, I'll get dumped on. I know good and well where hurricane preparedness responsibility lies, I live this threat every year from June to November.

Beyond Belief said:
No, I'll get dumped on. I know good and well where hurricane preparedness responsibility lies, I live this threat every year from June to November.

Where does it lie? I think first with the individual and then with the local and then the state, then the Feds. In that order....

Beyond Belief said:
yep. it starts with taking resposibility for oneself.

True. And then when you are unable....you look to your Mayor, city council or government, County Government, and then state government. We live in under tornado threats constantly and we suffered a tornado direct hit. Our Mayor and City Manager were in charge. We did rely heavily on our county government because we have disaster plans drawn up that involve them. Also, we have a county wide emergency system. But our Mayor and Manager are the "go to" people for our city. They are the ones that better have plans and make the decisions.

bulletgirl2002 said:
Where does it lie? I think first with the individual and then with the local and then the state, then the Feds. In that order....

You are so right. The talk locally is that no one expected so many people to fail to heed evacuation notices....some could not get out, there's always those poor people, some refused to leave pets and elderly behind, some had ridden out other hurricanes and didn't realize how devastatingly different Katrina would be, there's probably as many reasons that some stayed behind as there are keys on my keyboard.

Local government had a totally inadequate plan. The state leadership disappeared for a period of time after the levies broke.

Again, local talk is that there literally was NO LEADERSHIP AT ALL in the early hours. NO ONE was in authority, no one person took control.

When troops were ordered into the area, they were not given orders as to what to do: search? rescue? hand out food and water? No one told them what to do, so they sat there playing cards.

No federal response? Guess what, I am hearing they weren't asked to come in! And they cannot come until asked!! I am not sure if this is true, but if it is, Kathleen Blanco has just committed political suicide, and that's a shame cuz she is a good person, has served the state in various capacities so well in the past.

My poor state is going to come out of this looking like a banana republic AGAIN.

kgeaux said:
You are so right. The talk locally is that no one expected so many people to fail to heed evacuation notices....some could not get out, there's always those poor people, some refused to leave pets and elderly behind, some had ridden out other hurricanes and didn't realize how devastatingly different Katrina would be, there's probably as many reasons that some stayed behind as there are keys on my keyboard.

Local government had a totally inadequate plan. The state leadership disappeared for a period of time after the levies broke.

Again, local talk is that there literally was NO LEADERSHIP AT ALL in the early hours. NO ONE was in authority, no one person took control.

When troops were ordered into the area, they were not given orders as to what to do: search? rescue? hand out food and water? No one told them what to do, so they sat there playing cards.

No federal response? Guess what, I am hearing they weren't asked to come in! And they cannot come until asked!! I am not sure if this is true, but if it is, Kathleen Blanco has just committed political suicide, and that's a shame cuz she is a good person, has served the state in various capacities so well in the past.

My poor state is going to come out of this looking like a banana republic AGAIN.

I give you credit for being a citizen of LA, and being willing to admit much of the problems lie with the local and state.

Personal responsibility should be #1, IMO. If we were to have a tornado here, I realize my family of 3, plus animals, will not be special enough to be one of the first saved by any level of gov't, so therefore, I better be putting my family as #1. We will be 3 of 250K just in our area.

My heart goes out to the citizens of LA, MS, and AL.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back