MN - Dentist Kills a Tame Lion- Catches Heat, July 2015

Snick1946

Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/science/2015...t-said-to-have-paid-55000-to-kill-cecil-lion/

This Minnesota dentist apparently paid some big bucks for the thrill of killing a lion while on safari in Africa, one problem- the lion was tame and loved as a pet by locals and was sheltered on a game reserve. This guy is catching hell on line and when he gets back home shortly he may find he needs to do some PR with his practice.

I have no issues with someone hunting for food or to protect their livestock or family. This sort of thing is just way out of place today.

Ugh I scrolled through the pics on the fb page and had to stop. I thought some of those like the Zebra were endangered. I understand hunting for food. But for trophies and game, I don't think so. People are aware of the fb page now and looks like comments are picking up. Sad Cecil is gone. He was very much loved it appeared.

Maybe I'm wrong but I was glad to see on the Today show this morning that he's had to close his practice. He's also been getting death threats. When the hunter becomes the hunted.

The American dentist who killed a well-known lion in Zimbabwe also has a felony record over the hunting of black bear in Wisconsin, court documents show.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/c...-james-palmer-has-bear-related-felony-n400226

There's also a video at the above link, describing how this majestic animal suffered for 40 minutes after he was wounded with an arrow, before this despicable 'trophy' hunter eventually shot and killed him with his gun.

'Trophy' hunting needs to be outlawed internationally. It sickens me that it still occurs in this day and age.

I"m am so hurt and sad, and upset..such a majestic beautiful animal.

I cant say anymore..its just sad..jmo

I hope he gets extradited to Zimbabwe to face charges.

To me, it does seem particularly sick to kill an animal for fun and using an arrow, when there are better ways, is very much like sadism.

So let's go ahead and ruin someone's life because they did something we don't agree with. Why is this even news?

So let's go ahead and ruin someone's life because they did something we don't agree with. Why is this even news?

You're kidding right? I suppose we could start with the fact that they lured that beautiful creature out of a national park and pursued the cat for hours before he was shot with a crossbow, then let him suffer for hours and hours before finally shooting him then skinning and beheading him- all so this guy could take some pictures and have yet another wall mount.

At the current rate of decline, lions will be extinct by 2050. Not only was this lion killed but the 12 cubs he sired have now been killed or will be killed by another male lion taking over the pride. 13 lions taken out so this dude could stand on top of a lion for a photo op and show his pearly whites. A lot of people are offended by that. It's just the way some people are---they care.

Why isn't the organization that arranged the hunt taking the heat.

This lion was lured out of the park and killed illegally.
This dentist who killed a lion has a felony record for killing a bear. This actually should be moved to crimes in the news.

"The American dentist who used a bow and arrow to kill a well-known lion in Zimbabwe also has a felony record over the hunting of black bear in Wisconsin, court documents show."

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/c...-james-palmer-has-bear-related-felony-n400226

I don't agree with what he did, but seriously.....like, people think he just flew over to Africa and hunted this lion down? Umm...no. They ADVERTISED for him to do so. I'm sure he just googled up hunts and found something. The money hungry locals who lured him there knew about the history of this lion. I could see him not knowing and just trusting the locals.

I totally see no reason to hunt a beautiful creature like that, but there are many, many "big game" hunts that go on here stateside. Just because a moose or an elk isn't as "beautiful" as Cecil, doesn't mean it should be any different. I don't think it's worth the bounty that's been placed on this guy's head.

Aside....why are not as many people worldwide upset and demanding for the killer of Deer Island Doe, or any other of our missing, murdered babies? While magestic, human life is so much more valuable, yet people read about an unidentified child and immediately forget. Yet, for this man....there's death threats, media attention, etc. It's so wrongly prioritized.

There's also a video at the above link, describing how this majestic animal suffered for 40 minutes after he was wounded with an arrow, before this despicable 'trophy' hunter eventually shot and killed him with his gun.

'Trophy' hunting needs to be outlawed internationally. It sickens me that it still occurs in this day and age.

I read it was 40 *hours* not minutes. Then they beheaded him, skinned him and left the rest of him for the vultures...

I read it was 40 *hours* not minutes. Then they beheaded him, skinned him and left the rest of him for the vultures...

Yes- that's what I read as well. The pictures of what they left of Cecil are just sickening. I wish I could unsee them.

Agreed, these hunts go on all the time, I know a lady that is going to hawaii to shoot big horn sheep. This is not the hunters fault, but the guide and landowner who have already been to court over this. jmo idk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back