TX - Sandra Bland, 28, found dead in jail cell, Waller County, 13 July 2015 #3

PrimeSuspect

Reaction score
'I will light you up': Confronting arrest video emerges after woman mysteriously found dead in her Texas jail cell

Disturbing dashcam video of the arrest of a black woman later found dead in her cell has been released, as US authorities try to piece together the final moments of the civil rights activist’s life.
Sandra Bland, 28, was arrested on July 10 after she changed lanes without indicating in front of an officer in Waller County, Texas.
Three days after she was detained, Ms Bland was found dead in her cell from an apparent suicide – a cause of death her family has vehemently disputed.
The investigation is ongoing and murder has not yet been ruled out as a cause of death, Waller County District Attorney Elton Mathis told reporters yesterday.
http://www.9news.com.au/world/2015/...ad-in-her-texas-jail-cell#dJcxcRB5K8wScfHt.99

2207_sandrabland_a.ashx

[video=youtube;xphV_PnNCos]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xphV_PnNCos[/video]
July 22, 2015: Newly released footage, shot from a police Dashcam, shows the confrontational and heated arrest of a Texan woman who would later die in police custody.

Autopsy of Sandra Bland: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/07/24/us/autopsy-of-sandra-bland-texas.html
A county prosecutor concluded that Ms. Bland, who died in a jail cell in Waller County, Tex., on July 13, had injuries that were consistent with suicide, not homicide.

Thread #1
Thread #2

This thread is not showing up in the category list. The only way to find it is from the link at the end of thread 2. Where is it?

EDIT to add, nevermind, its showing up now.

This thread is not showing up in the category list. The only way to find it is from the link at the end of thread 2. Where is it?

It's there for me. Refresh maybe?

My opinion differs from most who say only BE had to be respectful to the lawbreaker and she had no responsibility to return that respect to him.

I would have no problem with having BE stop me if I failed to turn on my signal when changing lanes.

I have always believed that civility is a two way street in all facets of life including encounters with LE.

If BE stopped me and ask me if I was okay, I would say 'I am fine officer and how are you today?" Then I would tell him "I know I am guilty of not turning my signal on when I improperly changed lanes." If he asked me to please put my cigarette out I would have said 'sure' and done so. I don't think that anything other than an pleasant exchange would have happened should I have been stopped by BE. Civil communication skills are needed with both parties. Had she remained civil none of this would have ever happened in the first place. And making her into some kind of hero because she more or less said F-U to the officer is like rewarding people for bad behavior, imo.

And this case has absolutely no evidence that it has anything to do with race yet time and time again when it is a white officer stopping an AA it always turns into one regardless. If he was biased against her race he certainly wouldn't have been going to issue her just a warning.

If a white female had acted like this I really don't think many would care. I sure wouldn't. I really don't care which race or gender acted the way SB did.......it was wrong and totally uncalled for. Anyone who watches Cops at all sees females of all races being combative screaming, cussing, and fighting police as they try to contain them. Some even kick the windows out of the police car or assault the officers.

As strangely as she was acting I can certainly understand why he would want her outside of her vehicle. Police officers are being shot during traffic stops now and are killed/targeted simply because they are cops. And a loose maxi certainly could conceal a weapon or even drugs.

Earlier this year in Atlanta two cops were murdered by a female who they had detained during a traffic stop.

Just because someone is a private citizen doesn't give them the right to be a pure out horse's *advertiser censored**. Civility should never be required to be one sided only. Its not about the power the cop has and its everything to do with having the same respect they are giving you when they stop you. And at first before she became all attitudinal he was very cordial and respectful toward SB. If she had had a calm demeanor throughout it would have remained that way.

The USSC has long upheld that an officer does not have to tell the suspect what they are arresting them far.

And so far no one has said BE broke any laws. For now he has been assigned to a desk duty because he broke protocol on the courtesy policy in place. In house policies are not laws.

IMO

Re:

She tried to give her reasoning for moving over, which was fine, but she still broke the law by not using her turn signal. She is not protected under free speech for breaking the law. She caused the traffic stop. Why is it so hard for anyone to acknowledge that. Geesh

I have not seen any post that questioned his ability to pull him over.

It what was what transpired in the ensueing 21 minutes or so.

Severity here is also relevant. If the exact same thing happened, to somone who had just shot a family of 4, I think the sentiment would be different.

We also need to remember, that, she explained that she thought she needed to get out of his way. We all know if we are GOING to be making a right turn in 45 seconds to fire up the turn signal.

It is a much different situation, when an emergency vehicle is quickly approaching from behind- its suprising, so far all we know she might have been a turn signal addict!

In this instance I do not know if I would think of turning on my turn signal .

In fact, years ago, on expressway, this cop was (he told me more on that in a moment) hauling 125 mph). I did not see him till like the last micro second.

Several miles up the freeway, he had someone pulled over and gestured me over to. He said to me do you realize that you could have killed me. I was going a 125 miles an hour. Trust me I did not think about my tunr signal.

I am not implying this guy was going anywhere that fast.

What I am saying is it a totally innocent thing - she failed to signal when she was suddenly forced to move to the right.

She explained that right up front- it is logical, and I felt when I heard it - the truth.

There is a linear progression here.

His behavior is one thing.

Her behavior is one thing.

The jailers behaviors are another.

And yes we can say being arrested, started a chain reaction for someone who is in deep emotional pain , the stressers and fears related to not being able to get a hold of anyone increased the poor things anxiety and dispair. Being locked up for three 10s in a disgusting place, knowing you proably lost your new job , that gave one hope, adds to it. Sitting there all that time, alone, was the final straw for an individual with troubled coping skills .

That is the jailer direct fault. Just as a human being, walking by and not even looking in when one hears another human weeping for three days in a row - just on a humane level - might have reasulted in someone who worked in that god awful place, if for no other reason than compassion- to go sit with her a bit . IMO

If you watched the video recently posted with the traffic stop in Maine, that is how an LE who had self confidence and no need to pull his power and control posturing handles a truly absurd situation.

It is no fun, and I imagine that a professional gets weary, but they learn to detach and not have to get their feelings hurt.

People have all kinds of issues that we cannot fathom. To take things personally makes for a difficult life.

I learned how to detach when I was fighting a big battle and had to do public speaking where powerful men would attack me in big public meetings. I looked at them as if they were in a movie and saw how childish they were. They were simply little boys throwing tantrums because they could not refute my evidence.

My hubby taught that to me as he had to deal with issues always.

My opinion differs from most who say only BE had to be respectful to the lawbreaker and she had no responsibility to return that respect to him.

I would have no problem with having BE stop me if I failed to turn on my signal when changing lanes.

I have always believed that civility is a two way street in all facets of life including encounters with LE.

If BE stopped me and ask me if I was okay, I would say 'I am fine officer and how are you today?" Then I would tell him "I know I am guilty of not turning my signal on when I improperly changed lanes." If he asked me to please put my cigarette out I would have said 'sure' and done so. I don't think that anything other than an pleasant exchange would have happened should I have been stopped by BE. Civil communication skills are needed with both parties. Had she remained civil none of this would have ever happened in the first place. And making her into some kind of hero because she more or less said F-U to the officer is like rewarding people for bad behavior, imo.

And this case has absolutely no evidence this has nything to do with race yet time and time again when it is a white officer stopping an AA it always turns into one regardless. If he was biased against her race he certainly wouldn't have been going to issue her just a warning.

If a white female had acted like this I really don't think many would care. I sure wouldn't. I really don't care which race or gender acted the way SB did.......it was wrong and totally uncalled for. Anyone who watches Cops at all sees females of all races being combative screaming, cussing, and fighting police as they try to contain them. Some even kick the windows out of the police car or assault the officers.

As strangely as she was acting I can certainly understand why he would want her outside of her vehicle. Police officers are being shot during traffic stops now and are killed/targeted simply because they are cops. And a loose maxi certainly could conceal a weapon or even drugs.

Earlier this year in Atlanta two cops were murdered by a female who they had detained during a traffic stop.

Just because someone is a private citizen doesn't give them the right to be a pure out horse's *advertiser censored**. Civility should never be required to be one sided only. Its not about the power the cop has and its everything to do with having the same respect they are giving you when they stop you. And at first before she became all attitudinal he was very cordial and respectful toward SB. If she had had a calm demeanor throughout it would have remained that way.

The USSC has long upheld that an officer does not have to tell the suspect what they are arresting them far.

And so far no one has said BE broke any laws. For now he has been assigned to a desk duty because he broke protocol on the courtesy policy in place. In house policies are not laws.

IMO
Okay...but he didn't issue her a warning. He said he was just been going to issue her a warning. Instead, he placed her under arrest for an assault on his person that hadn't yet taken place. So, if it wasn't racially motivated - perhaps it was just her questioning his authority that led to her being arrested before even leaving the vehicle - but either way, I believe it a gross abuse of power.

An officer may not have to tell a citizen why they're under arrest but there still has to be probable cause that a crime has been committed. IMO, BE helped create probable cause with his own inflammatory comments. No matter how rude Sandy may have been (and that's subjective) - at no point did she physically threaten BE. The same, of course, cannot be said for him.

JMO

Okay...but he didn't issue her a warning. He said he was just been going to issue her a warning. Instead, he placed her under arrest for an assault on his person that hadn't yet taken place. So, if it wasn't racially motivated - perhaps it was just her questioning his authority that led to her being arrested before even leaving the vehicle - but either way, I believe it a gross abuse of power.

An officer may not have to tell a citizen why they're under arrest but there still has to be probable cause that a crime has been committed. IMO, BE helped create probable cause with his own inflammatory comments. No matter how rude Sandy may have been (and that's subjective) - at no point did she physically threaten BE. The same, of course, cannot be said for him.

JMO

If he wanted to tase her he would have. He didn't and just as quickly as he pulled it out he put it back.

That is not what I have read. She may not have verbally threatened him prior that she was going to kick him but he said she did it anyway and it certainly is consistent with her irate behavior.

And he had to show probable cause for a Judge to sign off on the bail amount.

IMO

If he wanted to tase her he would have. He didn't and just as quickly as he pulled it out he put it back.

That is not what I have read. She may not have verbally threatened him prior that she was going to kick him but he said she did it anyway and it certainly is consistent with her irate behavior.

IMO

Is there video of her kicking him? Did any witnesses say she kicked him? I know HE said she did but...

I'm wondering if the kick came in the struggle as he was taking her down to the ground?

This is what defense attorneys say you should do during a traffic stop.

You should not get out of your car unless the police officer asks you to. Again, you want to avoid antagonizing the officer and communicate that you understand he or she is in control. Officers are trained to expect the worst, and if you suddenly exit the vehicle, the officer is trained to think you're either going to fight or flee.

If an officer asks you to exit the vehicle, you should do so calmly and carefully, with no sudden movements. Exiting the vehicle may give you the opportunity to better survey the scene to verify the officer's allegations. If the officer has a reason to believe you're armed, he or she can pat down your outer clothing. If the officer finds something suspicious, he or she can reach in to grab the concealed object.

Talking to the Police Officer
Let the officer do most of the talking. Don't interrupt, don't be argumentative, and don't say anything that the officer can record and use against you. This means when an officer asks you questions such as "do you know why I stopped you", you should respond "no". If the officer asks you "do you know how fast you were going", you should simply answer "yes". Officers are trained to let you incriminate yourself by letting you admit to violations or admit that you were careless or negligent. If required, give noncommittal responses such as "ok" or "I see". Often the best course is simply not to respond, silence is not an admission of guilt and cannot be used against you. Be polite, but don't give the officer anything - it's his or her job to prove your guilt. -

See more at: http://traffic.findlaw.com/traffic-stops/what-to-do-during-traffic-stops.html#sthash.hrikjzAM.dpuf

If you watched the video recently posted with the traffic stop in Maine, that is how an LE who had self confidence and no need to pull his power and control posturing handles a truly absurd situation.

It is no fun, and I imagine that a professional gets weary, but they learn to detach and not have to get their feelings hurt.

People have all kinds of issues that we cannot fathom. To take things personally makes for a difficult life.

I learned how to detach when I was fighting a big battle and had to do public speaking where powerful men would attack me in big public meetings. I looked at them as if they were in a movie and saw how childish they were. They were simply little boys throwing tantrums because they could not refute my evidence.

My hubby taught that to me as he had to deal with issues always.

Just watched the Maine video.....really made me giggle, that trooper was as cool as a cucumber.

[video=youtube;GXY2fImfr7Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXY2fImfr7Y"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXY2fImfr7Y[/video]

Just watched the Maine video.....really made me giggle, that trooper was as cool as a cucumber.

[video=youtube;GXY2fImfr7Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXY2fImfr7Y"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXY2fImfr7Y[/video]
I swear that guy sounds like he is about to stroke out. I'm not sure he was fit to drive. The officer has a lot more patience than I do.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

IMO

BBM

BE did not "just as quickly" put it back (the taser that is). He is seen on the dash cam footage as pointing it at her back as she walks in front of his police car.

BE also lied during his call/talk/whatever it was about what happened. Ms. Bland did not curse him until she was out of her car and he was putting handcuffs on her. He lied about numerous things so why believe him about getting kicked? I don't. I think he lied about that as well because he needed something to use as the reason he arrested her.

MOO

BBM

BE did not "just as quickly" put it back (the taser that is). He is seen on the dash cam footage as pointing it at her back as she walks in front of his police car.

BE also lied during his call/talk/whatever it was about what happened. Ms. Bland did not curse him until she was out of her car and he was putting handcuffs on her. He lied about numerous things so why believe him about getting kicked? I don't. I think he lied about that as well because he needed something to use as the reason he arrested her.

MOO

Looking at the dress she was wearing, I find it hard to believe she could kick someone unless she was already on the ground. MOO

Looking at the dress she was wearing, I find it hard to believe she could kick someone unless she was already on the ground. MOO

Those dresses are very roomy. Don't know if she kicked anyone, but I don't think the dress would provide an obstacle. Those dresses are so roomy it's almost like wearing nothing, IMO.

Those dresses are very roomy. Don't know if she kicked anyone, but I don't think the dress would provide an obstacle. Those dresses are so roomy it's almost like wearing nothing, IMO.

I'll take your word for it. Maybe it was her shoes (or her normal gait) that made her look like it to me.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...County-13-July-2015-2&p=11964375#post11964375

I'm bringing Katydid's post about respect over from the previous thread because she said exactly what I have wanted to say about "earning" respect. It concerns me that some believe that teachers and policemen as a group or as individuals have to "earn" respect. How can they even begin to do their jobs if the people they are dedicated to serving view them from the start with fundamental disrespect? The actions of bad teachers or bad cops, while a terrible betrayal of trust that needs to be dealt with decisively, should not cause disrespect for the entire profession, just as the criminal actions of some should not cause disrespect for an entire race. JMO

Until someone loses my respect by their actions, I respect everyone, no matter who they are or what position they occupy. Even if they do something to lose my respect, I will show them respect because they are fellow humans and because usually respect begets respect and rarely makes a bad situation worse. In any event, I still have self-respect because I behave respectfully. Wouldn't there be fewer problems in the world if everyone had this attitude? It begins with each one of us. JMO

As John Lennon sang: "All we are saying is give peace a chance." :)

Having a respectful attitude does not imply giving up legal rights. Feel free to agree to disagree. Peace. :peace:

IMO
Right, well, we'll have to agree to disagree...I personally can't justify his threatening to taser her just because he didn't actually follow through with the threat. The threat, imo, was totally unwarranted and only escalated an already devolving situation.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...County-13-July-2015-2&p=11964375#post11964375

I'm bringing Katydid's post about respect over from the previous thread because she said exactly what I have wanted to say about "earning" respect. It concerns me that some believe that teachers and policemen as a group or as individuals have to "earn" respect. How can they even begin to do their jobs if the people they are dedicated to serving view them from the start with fundamental disrespect? The actions of bad teachers or bad cops, while a terrible betrayal of trust that needs to be dealt with decisively, should not cause disrespect for the entire profession, just as the criminal actions of some should not cause disrespect for an entire race. JMO

Until someone loses my respect by their actions, I respect everyone, no matter who they are or what position they occupy. Even if they do something to lose my respect, I will show them respect because they are fellow humans and because usually respect begets respect and rarely makes a bad situation worse. In any event, I still have self-respect because I behave respectfully. Wouldn't there be fewer problems in the world if everyone had this attitude? It begins with each one of us. JMO

As John Lennon sang: "All we are saying is give peace a chance." :)

Having a respectful attitude does not imply giving up legal rights. Feel free to agree to disagree. Peace. :peace:

It's not always easy to do, but I was taught, and taught my sons, that you treat people with respect whether you feel they deserve it or not.

This is what defense attorneys say you should do during a traffic stop.

You should not get out of your car unless the police officer asks you to. Again, you want to avoid antagonizing the officer and communicate that you understand he or she is in control. Officers are trained to expect the worst, and if you suddenly exit the vehicle, the officer is trained to think you're either going to fight or flee.

If an officer asks you to exit the vehicle, you should do so calmly and carefully, with no sudden movements. Exiting the vehicle may give you the opportunity to better survey the scene to verify the officer's allegations. If the officer has a reason to believe you're armed, he or she can pat down your outer clothing. If the officer finds something suspicious, he or she can reach in to grab the concealed object.

Talking to the Police Officer
Let the officer do most of the talking. Don't interrupt, don't be argumentative, and don't say anything that the officer can record and use against you. This means when an officer asks you questions such as "do you know why I stopped you", you should respond "no". If the officer asks you "do you know how fast you were going", you should simply answer "yes". Officers are trained to let you incriminate yourself by letting you admit to violations or admit that you were careless or negligent. If required, give noncommittal responses such as "ok" or "I see". Often the best course is simply not to respond, silence is not an admission of guilt and cannot be used against you. Be polite, but don't give the officer anything - it's his or her job to prove your guilt. -

See more at: http://traffic.findlaw.com/traffic-stops/what-to-do-during-traffic-stops.html#sthash.hrikjzAM.dpuf

Seriously, are most people concerned about how to act with LE?

I only looked into it years ago because of what I saw and heard. Now more and more people are learning it may be a death sentence

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelKeell
Back