FL - Brayden Trahern, 4, strangled, 11yo accused, Palatka, 27 July 2015

popsicle

faith hope love
Reaction score
Authorities say the two boys lived together with their mothers, who are a couple, in a mobile home in north Florida. Around 4 a.m. Monday, a male friend staying at the home was awakened by the older boy and found the 4-year-old slumped over, unresponsive with blood coming out of his mouth, the arrest report said.

The child's mother told investigators that she has had trouble with him for several years. When he was 4, he lit his crib on fire with a lighter. He also dug up their dead farm animals, cut their limbs off and carried them around, his mother said.

Jones also said her son had been a victim and a suspect of sexually deviant behaviors several times and he had previously been caught choking another child.

The young suspect had recently moved back to the home from a Miami rehab program, though deputies did not say why he was at the treatment center.

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]six adults and six minors is a lot of people crammed into 1 mobile home. How did the 11 year old do this to the 4 year old without a witness without someone else seeing and stopping? There were six adults and 4 other children in that mobile home??

[/FONT]Jones said her son and Braydan did not get along and the two would often get into verbal and physical disagreements.[FONT=arial, sans-serif]

how exactly does an 11 year old "not get along with" a 4 year old? and if the 11 year old has anger issues and has displayed a pattern of disturbing and violent behavior, why on earth was he left unsupervised with a 4 year old he "doesn't get along with"????

[/FONT]Dr. Louie Legum, a juvenile psychologist, said if the suspect was not being supervised or enrolled in a treatment program, he should never have been allowed in a home with younger children.[FONT=arial, sans-serif]

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/story...spitalized-strangled-by-11-year-old/30760455/
[/FONT]

From Dec. 2014 to June 2015, the 11-year-old went to a juvenile sexual treatment facility in Miami, according to the mother. She said the boy was on good behavior for the first couple weeks when he came home, but he had become increasingly angrier since then.

Jones said the boys were in the same bedroom the night of the incident. After Braydan was found unresponsive, the mother noted her son said, "I just want him to come back to life."
Court records show Jones was also released from the prison system June 2015. She had been convicted of aggravated assault and robbery.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/story...spitalized-strangled-by-11-year-old/30760455/

Treatment programs are useless if the child returns to the same environment. Dumping your kid at a facility and expecting strangers to fix the problems will not work unless the family makes changes too.

Seems like the adults had little to no investment in helping the 11 year old. :(

Your child returns from a 'sexual treatment' facility, and he is put alone into a bedroom with a 4 yr old? That is horrible planning.

11 ?? That is so young to have all these issues . I wonder if a different environment would have been the answer . Nature vs nurture . Poor little one .

Ted Bundy....sorry...that's all I can say!

Watch out world!

If he was born or nurtured into being a sociopath, at least we now know he does not respond to treatment (not that any sociopaths do) and should be monitored in a controlled environment for the rest of his natural life.

Classic serial killer profile. Fires (how did he get a lighter/flame to set a fire that young), obsession with dead animals. Possibly molested himself. Woaaaahhhh

The government needs to fund DCF in order to save innocents. Having an under-funded and under-staffed agency is merely a thinly veiled attempt to make it look like the government is investigating and protecting children. They need to fund and staff DCF or abolish it entirely. My vote would be to fund, staff and overhaul a useless system. And this in no way is meant to attack the caring individuals who work for DCF. It's meant to empower them so that they can be effective and save lives. JMO... I'm very fired up after reading that report!

"In a word: failure. A failure to properly parent. A failure of the state to intervene. An ultimately tragic failure to save the life of an at-risk 4-year-old.

That's the upshot of a heavily redacted 19-page report by the Florida Department of Children and Families into the circumstances of Braydan Trahern's death."

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/story/news/local/2015/09/04/dcf-report-braydan-trahern/71726244/

Yep, that's about it. The heavily redacted report reads like a horror novel - I can only imagine what's in all those lines that have been blacked out. One bit of information that pops out:

Once it was learned that [redacted] would be returning to the home, it was necessary to examine the appropriateness of his transition plan and identify appropriate interventions to ensure the safety of all children in this home.

His sexually aggressive behavior toward other children placed [redacted] Brayden, and the other children in the home at greater risk for future incidences of abuse without appropriate safeguards in place.

The safety plan created by the behavioral health provider did not involve the CPI and was insufficient to fully address the danger threats present in the home and relied on [redacted] to provide constant supervision of her son.

When a new report was received with concerns that [redacted] was not abiding by the supervision agreement, child welfare officials relied on the mother’s self-reports that she was providing an appropriate level of supervision.

Much of the information gleaned to support investigative findings was focused on the specific allegations in the abuse reports. In addition, there was an over-reliance on the caregivers’ self-reports and assurances to conclude investigations with findings of no maltreatment. Few collateral sources were explored to validate and reconcile information provided by household members.

The report also stated:

Organizational Assessment

A. Overall, the Child Protective Investigators in Putnam County are relatively new in their role; however, there is nothing to indicate that workload impacted the ability of the investigative staff to conduct these investigations according to existing practices and protocols.

Currently, the average investigative caseload for Child Protective Investigation staff in the Putnam County area is approximately ten investigations per investigator. This is also reflective of the average workload during the period of May through July of 2015 when the open investigation was received. This workload is well within industry standards for child protective investigations.

My bolding and I broke up the first paragraph to make it more readable.

Why oh why would the officials rely on either of the the mothers' self-reporting? Why would anyone just take their word that things were going well? And it gets worse as the report continues.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/278436009/DCF-CIRRT-report-4-year-old-strangled

Yep, that's about it. The heavily redacted report reads like a horror novel - I can only imagine what's in all those lines that have been blacked out. One bit of information that pops out:

The report also stated:

My bolding and I broke up the first paragraph to make it more readable.

Why oh why would the officials rely on either of the the mothers' self-reporting? Why would anyone just take their word that things were going well? And it gets worse as the report continues.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/278436009/DCF-CIRRT-report-4-year-old-strangled

I was rather surprised a couple of years ago when my soon-to-be stepson was removed from his mother's home, by child protection, that the plan they set in place was the mother could visit him at our home as long as one of us was present. I don't know who thought that was a good idea...obviously not a stepmom! It was (predictably) a disaster that just enabled his mom to be the "drive-by mommy" she prefers and which is not at all good for her son. Also it added a lot of stress to our home, but it's difficult to assert oneself in that situation without appearing to be the person "keeping a child from his mother."

This is such a horrific, sad and tragic story. I am so sad for this 2 boys. They needed parents. Parents to protect them and care for them. It's just very tragic all around.

I can say this. The State of Florida really dropped the ball on the whole situation. They keep listing someone as a primary witness but have not talked to him since then. If I was a State Attorney I would be wanting to keep the remaining two kids safe at all costs. I'm sure this witness saw more then what the state has been reporting and from what I've seen They only talked to him once. The state needs to get off their behinds and save those two remaining Kids.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy
Back