Thread: Mississippi Pictures

Mississippi Pictures

A copy of email and pictures rec'd from my friend in Hattiesburg MS.

Hello All,

XXXXXX and I now have running water and telephone following hurricane Katrina. We are still without electric power. My Mother is OK with some roof damage to her home and trees down. My Sister had 3 homes on the Gulf, 1 was their principal residence and 2 were bought for rental or sale. One had been completed 3 weeks ago and ready for sale. The other one was in the process of renovation. All 3 were completely destroyed.

These pictures are a stark contrast in before and after a major hurricane like Katrina. I'm still having problems getting my head around this and the power of wind and water. It is too unreal to believe. This property is one my Sister and Brother-in-law renovated and was for sale. The house had been completely redone, new appliances, windows, carpet, ceramic tile, paint, electrical, etc. I spent over a week working on it myself. The view was spectacular from this cozy 2 bedroom seaside cottage. The person pictured in the 'after Katrina' picture is my Brother-in-law XXX. This is in Ocean Springs, Mississippi. The body of water pictured is the Gulf of Mexico.

XXX

Just an idea of the devastation so many of our fellow Americans are seeing.
    /

"Would some power the Giftee gie us To see ourselves as others see us" R.Burns

It's like walking into a different dimension. That's just one home out of thousands and thousands. I simply can't grasp the enormity of this destruction.

I've always remembered the rabbi at the big 9/11 memorial service. He said - 3,000 people didn't die. One person died 3,000 times.

Each of those homes belonged to an individual. They sheltered all the bits and pieces that make up our own particular lives and histories.

Gabby, I wanted you to know that a friend of mine who transports emergency generators for FEMA is in Hattisburg, MS. He called today and said that it was a mess. He, of course, cannot find a hotel and is sleeping on a blowup matress at a Bell South office. They are providing him with food too. He is washing his clothes out in a sink there and letting them dry on a rail. He says it is unbelievable and no one could have possibly gotten through initially. The exit ramps on the interstate had even been displaced, the storm and storm surge was so violent. His co worker is north of NO. I dont know what is happening with him. He feels that he has it pretty good though with shelter and hot food. He doesn't expect to be back home for over a month. He is working 7 days a week as long as he can as are many.

My friends had a generator, and have had water and food.. they are cooking on propane camp stoves, but now they have running water.. they were hauling water from a pond to flush toilets... their yard was a mess with uprooted trees, but they didn't suffer any major damage where they were. Having been from around there they knew what to do before Katrina hit. Boardedup the windows, had supplies and had gas stored for the generators. I heard from him a few days after all this ...strangely enough his satellite internet was not affected...so with a generator he was sending updates on the family... I thank God they are all ok..
    /

"Would some power the Giftee gie us To see ourselves as others see us" R.Burns

We have friends in Biloxi. I have heard that they are fine, but without power for another two weeks. There is a leak in their roof, also.

BUT, some cousins and uncles have lost everything...hopuse, car, belongings, etc. So, as of today, they have 17 people living in their home. They all are using their neighbors swimming pool as their bathtub!