CONVICTION OVERTURNED CA - Mirabelle Thao-Lo, 7 wks, killed in microwave oven, Sacramento, 17 March 2011

Missizzy

Reaction score
Another horrific murder by microwave. Fly high sweet little Mirabelle.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap...KEY9nw?docId=bc47cb68035a49be861e6eee4d7096bf

Calif. mom arrested after baby dies in microwave

"Sacramento police arrested a 29-year-old mother Tuesday after an investigation found her baby likely died from burns suffered in a microwave oven. Ka Yang was being held without bail in Sacramento County Jail on suspicion of murder and assault resulting in the death of a child.
She was arrested three months after her otherwise healthy 6-week-old daughter, Mirabelle Thao-Lo, was found dead in the family home on March 17.

Police described the child as suffering "extensive thermal injuries." Officer Laura Peck said the arrest took so long because investigators had to pinpoint what they believe is the cause of death by looking for other cases involving similar injuries. They found three in the U.S., all after children were burned in a microwave: in Dayton, Ohio; Galveston, Texas; and New Kent County, Va...."

more at link

oh my god, I was praying this was old news and you had your dates wrong, I just cant bear that someone else had the same "brilliant" idea...

oh my god, I was praying this was old news and you had your dates wrong, I just cant bear that someone else had the same "brilliant" idea...

OH MY!!! I was hoping the same thing! RIP Mirabella.....

sick - just sick. That poor baby should have been taken to a hospital or fire station and not put in a microwave. WTH is wrong with people! What this baby went through just shattered my heart.

RIP little one.

Mel

That was exactly my thought when I came across the story. I double checked the dates. PPD? What else would cause a woman to do this? This one's hard for me as I have a 5 week old grandson whose Momma (my daughter) looks very much like this woman. She even has one of the same names. Our little guy, though, is safe and secure. It breaks my heart that Mirabelle had to suffer. Just, why???

I've looked for any sort of mitigating factor ie. as a disability or domestic violence and found nothing. I'm always curious as to whether a new mom has support and medical care when something like this happens.

In our case, the midwife is still coming to our daughter and son-in-law's home three times each week just to check on things. IMO, our society simply does not give new moms nearly enough support and so many live far from family these days. Sad sad sad.

So, the woman has three other young children and does have relatives available. I don't believe this info was in the first article:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/22/baby-killed-in-microwave-_n_882167.html

"...police do not know a motive. She did not believe Yang had an attorney, and none was listed in jail records. "We wouldn't assess her mental condition. That will be up to the court system," [Officer, Laura] Peck said. "The bottom line is no one knows what happened in that house but her and the little baby."

Yang has three other children, all under age 7, who were removed from the home the day their sister was found dead. They are now living with relatives....

More at link

Another seizure??? This is what the woman in WV said. Seizing and blacking out is one thing. Fugue states (where one wanders or does things not remembered) is quite another. I have many many questions.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2011...r-baby’s-death-as-investigation-mounts/

Mom Breaks Silence Over Baby’s Death As Investigation Mounts
May 4, 2011

"Ka Yang said she had been trying to have a daughter for two years before giving birth to Mirabelle Thao Lo, after already giving birth to three boys.

Mirabelle’s death was a tragic accident, caused by a seizure, according to Yang, but the investigation into the baby’s death has concluded the baby died from a more sinister cause...."

and

"...Yang’s other three children have been ordered into the custody of her grandparents..."

more at link (plus a photo)

First off, people who have "split personalities" don't often know it. Secondly, the woman was caught lying when she should have been totally in shock upon learning that her child was dead. This doesn't sound like PPD. I'm not sure what's going on for this woman. She has quite a close extended family in the Central Valley. How I hope the other three children are being loved and cherished by that family.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/crime/archives/2011/06/mother-accused-1.html

Mother accused of killing baby in microwave said she might have split personality
June 22, 2011

"The woman accused of killing her baby in a microwave earlier this year repeatedly told authorities that the baby likely was injured during a fall as she suffered a blackout-inducing seizure, and even suggested that she suffered from a split personality..."

and

"....The investigation began on March 17, when paramedics were called to a home in the 800 block of Rood Avenue and found the infant severely burned. She was pronounced dead at the scene.

"...Yang admitted to lying, again claimed to have a seizure and stated she might have a split personality...."

More at link

http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines...sacramento-20110622,0,6867650.story?track=rss

Pacifier Might Be Key In Sacramento Microwaved Baby Case

"Ka Yang told Sacramento police officers that she had a seizure and dropped her infant daughter on a space heater the day she died. In court documents obtained by FOX40 today, investigators say when they opened the microwave in Yang's Rood Avenue home in March, 6-month-old Mirabelle Thao-Lo's pacifier was still inside...."

more at link (WARNING: Graphic description of the baby's death)

Why not give your child to someone else? Dear god what kind of "mother" can do this?

Another seizure??? This is what the woman in WV said. Seizing and blacking out is one thing. Fugue states (where one wanders or does things not remembered) is quite another. I have many many questions.

Given the apparent lies in this case (e.g., the story about dropping the baby on a space heater), I'm not sure what to beleive. However, in general, I wouldn't rule out the twilight period after a seizure as leading someone to do something like this by a horrible mistake.

My boyfriend has epilepsy. Thankfully, it's extremely well-controlled with medication now (he hasn't had a seizure in over 10 years). However, a mutual friend of ours who lived with him years ago, when he was sans health insurance, not medicated and had frequent seizures, one night told me some hilariously embarrassing stories of stuff he would do post-seizure (and with no memory of it later). In retrospect much of it is kind of funny, but especially the first time it happened (just a couple days after she moved in), she was seriously freaked out.

While he hasn't had a seizure in years, he still has the worst memory of anyone I have ever known (an extremely frustrating trait, sometimes). According to his doc, it's a side effect of the meds. There is no way that he'd accidentally put something in the microwave and not know it now, but based on what our friend told me about some of the things he did post-seizure back in the day, it doesn't seem all that far-fetched to me that someone in a twilight period could do something terribly tragic.

RLynne--Thanks for bringing up the issue of seizures. There are literally hundreds of types and not just related to epilepsy. I have Spinocerebellar Ataxia with Seizures and even with heavy meds, have almost daily seizures. I've been known to bite, scream, fight, break bones, head-butt, and run. My post ictal periods can last for a couple of days and I have absolutely no memory. I once had a seizure and wondered away from the house and was missing overnight. It was terrifying for everyone. This is exactly why I do not ever hold babies nor am I responsible for children. I sleep tethered in a cubby style bed and rarely see anyone other than my husband. My seizures are brought on by the tiniest sudden noise or movement do to a degenerating cerebellum.

But, if this woman truly has an uncontrolled level of seizure activity, why would she lie? Why would she be left alone with a tiny infant? I understand dropping a child but then to lie after the baby's been declared dead? And I think that if she truly seized, her family and doctor would be stepping forward to defend her. The only thing I could accept as a possibility is some sort of fugue state which was brought on by an epileptic or pseudo-seizure. I still think her response to the news would have been much much different after she "came to", though. She'd be devastated instead of defiant.

The woman who killed her baby in a microwave in West Virginia tried this defense and it didn't fly.

But you are absolutely correct. People can do horrific and seemingly outrageous things while in the post ictal period. We're not all here. Heck, I'm glad to be half here, even when I'm not seizing.

She's pregnant. If she's actually four months along, she would have gotten pregnant the same week her daughter was killed.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2011...-infant-death-is-pregnant/UPI-91011310750635/

Mother charged in infant death is pregnant

"A California mother accused of putting her 6-week-old baby in a microwave and killing the infant is pregnant with another child, a friend has said. At Ka Yang's arraignment Thursday on charges of murder and felony assault resulting in the death of a child, longtime friend LT said the 29-year-old is four months pregnant, KTXL-TV, Sacramento, reported...."

more at link

And:

http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines...o-pregnant-20110715,0,6737602.story?track=rss

Family of Ka Yang Claim She Is Neglected In Jail

"...."She says she's not getting any pre-natal care at all and that they're not giving her the anti-seizure," says LT. Yang claims she is having three to four seizures a week in the Sacramento County Jail and that at first no one believed she was pregnant. "She said that she told the people in jail many times that she's pregnant and they did not believe her for the first time and they said maybe she lied to to them...."

and

"....Sources confirm that Yang, who is accused by prosecutors of microwaving her infant daughter, Mirabelle Thao Lao this spring, is in fact pregnant...."

more at link

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back