1066 users online (211 members and 855 guests)  

Websleuths News

Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Heart of Europe

    'Dead' St Louis woman sues credit agencies

    Alexandria Goree of St Louis, Missouri, is suing three credit agencies after she was forced to spend eight months trying to convince the world she is not dead.

    The problem began summer 2013 when a deceased notice was incorrectly added to her credit file. Since then she has struggled with all sorts of official paperwork problems, including not even being able to rent a new place, away from the home where her grandson was killed in a hit a run.

    She is now suing Experian, Trans-Union and Equifax. An expert says it can be hard to prove to a computerized system that you're still alive.

    We 'embraced' the missing Bob Harrod case as requested but 6 years on, are still waiting for further guidance

    Flyers/FB/Case Overview&Media Links

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    IDK if it's true, but someone commented on the ^ article:
    When the creditors call the house to collect a bill, don't let somebody in the house tell them that the account holder died and won't be able to pay them. They will report this finding to the reporting agencies.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    We read about these nightmares & wonder how credit reporting co's & creditors recvd notice of death (which did not happen).
    Could it have been resolved this way - w a letter and some patience? At least in theory? I know this works IRL, at least sometimes.
    __________________________________________________ ______________

    Disputing Errors on Credit Reports
    "Under the FCRA, both the credit reporting company and the information provider are responsible for correcting inaccurate or incomplete information in your report. To take advantage of all your rights under this law..."
    "Step One
    Tell the credit reporting company, in writing, what information you think is inaccurate. Use our sample dispute letter.... Send your letter by certified mail, “return receipt requested ... Keep copies of your dispute letter and enclosures.
    Credit reporting companies must investigate the items in question — usually within 30 days.... If the information provider finds the disputed information is inaccurate, it must notify all three nationwide credit reporting companies so they can correct the information in your file.
    ... the credit reporting company must give you the results in writing and a free copy of your report if the dispute results in a change...
    If you ask, the credit reporting company must send notices of any corrections to anyone who received your report in the past six months..."
    "Step Two
    "Tell the information provider (that is, the person, company, or organization that provides information about you to a credit reporting company), in writing, that you dispute an item in your credit report. Use this sample dispute letter....
    If the provider continues to report the item you disputed to a credit reporting company, it must let the credit reporting company know about your dispute. And if you are correct — that is, if the information you dispute is found to be inaccurate or incomplete — the information provider must tell the credit reporting company to update or delete the item."

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-20-2013, 02:17 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-10-2012, 07:13 AM
  3. YCSO: Woman steals purse, uses credit card for court fines
    By Texas Mist in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-11-2010, 04:40 AM