KY - Third Graders Handcuffed in School, Covington, Federal Lawsuit Filed Aug 2015

There's no excuse for this. Only a would do something like this to a child.

So many things wrong here. The use of school "resource officers," not to protect children but to punish them. Use of officers to carry out punishments that teachers are prohibited from using. Use of restraints as punishment for students whose behaviors are disability-related.

There is a large and growing body of evidence against the use of such restraints--particularly with students having disabilities. However, implementing legal prohibitions has tended to be problematic. Many districts are still wedded to the use of restraint and seclusion--particularly with the disabled population.

Big part of the reason I chose to home school. :tears:

If that isn't proof that we are living in a police state, I don't know what would be, and people wonder why there is so much hatred of the police.

No ***** - completely out of control. Sadly, Canadian LE aspires to be just like US LE - big problems on the way here imo.

If that isn't proof that we are living in a police state, I don't know what would be, and people wonder why there is so much hatred of the police.

Frankly, I think that has nothing to do with anyone's notion of a "police state."

I see it as a symptom of dysfunction within school systems. The very presence of "resource officers" in schools implies that educators are unable to maintain a safe and appropriate environment within their buildings. Far too often there is an emphasis on responding to "behaviors" (which can range from attitudinal adjustments to completing homework to "respectful" speech to following directions/commands in a timely fashion) rather than setting a tone of respect, teaching norms of behavior and understanding options for resolving disagreements--which tend to be preventive of the things that fall into the general category of "disciplinary issues." This is exacerbated by some existing conflicts and issues such as teachers believing that parents or administrators should bear the brunt of anything "behavioral," administators playing into various get-tough scenarios and certain parents wishing to rid classrooms of certain "other" students (who don't really "want to learn.")

Frequently public opinion with regard to students with disabilities that have behavioral manifestations (which would pretty much include all disabilities) supports a notion that they are being coddled--legally speaking--and protected from punishment. Parents are viewed as having created a problem through being lax, wanting to be a friend to their child, etc, etc.

In this case I am not ready to fault the police. They are being misused in a role for which they have no training.

That's a well worded commentary on the social issues of schools and those that attend them Margo/Mom, but cops still handcuffed a couple of kids - who did not commit a crime. The commentary then blames someone else for the cops actions.

Pretty sure KaaBoom nailed the core issue here.

That's a well worded commentary on the social issues of schools and those that attend them Margo/Mom, but cops still handcuffed a couple of kids - who did not commit a crime. The commentary then blames someone else for the cops actions.

Pretty sure KaaBoom nailed the core issue here.

Cops haven't asked to be put in schools. Why are we calling police to handle school discipline? Totally inappropriate.

A few years ago, a coworker struggled to get her daughter who has behavioral issues properly diagnosed, treated and placed in a classroom qualified to handle her special needs. When the girl was in second grade, in a self-contained classroom within a public school, the principal saw her hit her teacher one day and called the police. The officers talked to the girl and told her if they had to be called there again, they would arrest her.

Understandably, the little girl was distressed. The teacher was also very upset about the scene, admitting that she could simply have stepped out of the way. The school's Special Education Director was embarrassed about the situation. IMO, it was a result of mainstreaming special needs children in a school in which administrative staff was not equipped to respond to situations involving special needs students, yet took it upon themselves to intervene.

There is a major difference between people with physical disabilities and those with cognitive disabilities. While people with cognitive disabilities often have physical delays and a high incidence of mental illness, most people with physical disabilities are comparable in range of cognitive ability and emotional development to the general population. Educators who are amenable to mainstreaming special populations within their schools and classrooms often envision children with physical disabilities learning alongside able-bodied children but have neglected to consider the needs of children with behavioral issues.

One problem my coworker's daughter manifested in the self-contained classroom was labeling a cognitively high-functioning classmate who had a physical disability as "stupid" because the classmate was limited in what she could do physically. I worked in some environments where people who had cognitive disabilities were integrated with cognitively high-functioning children who had physical disabilities, and there were many problems addressing the needs of both populations simultaneously. My point is that children with behavioral issues have distinctive needs which most educators are not equipped to handle. So, school administrators unwisely relegate intervention to the local police department. Instead, schools should hire staff trained to intervene in and disarm behavioral situations, and know how to utilize those resources appropriately.

JMO

This may be partly a problem of schools being unable to touch children anymore. At our schools, teachers literally can't touch a child. How crazy is that? Sometimes you HAVE to touch them - to hold them in place while you talk to them, to lead them down the hall by the hand so they don't dart off, to hug them if they're hurt.

Schools sometimes are without any other recourse except to call LE to help. In the Dallas area, middle and high schools decided to use LE to enforce no fighting/no disruption of class/truancy issues because there was no other way to get the kid's attention and the parent's attention. Parent's didn't care what the kids were doing, and having a saturday detention here and there wasn't helping. So making them show up in court and getting a juvenile record and paying large fines was the only way to get kids to behave the way they need to to keep the school system functioning.

I don't know what the answer is, but it does seem that authorities in schools have no real way to change behavior of children who are serious behavior problems.

Why use police to deal with children who would be better served by attention from someone educated in working with children with special needs? Oh, well, blame the cops for all that is evil. I say this is wrong to use the resource officers in this way, both for the officers and for the children.

Cops haven't asked to be put in schools. Why are we calling police to handle school discipline? Totally inappropriate.

Whether or not he should have been in the school (imo no way) has nothing to do with the way he treated this child. He didn't ask to be there so he takes it out on a child? I can't imagine any adult human being thinking this is an acceptable way to treat a child no matter the circumstances.

I agree cops have no business in schools, but I most certainly fault this officer for his disgusting (imo) actions.

Long version.:puke:

[video=youtube;D_Lbp-Hlhfg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Lbp-Hlhfg[/video]

This may be partly a problem of schools being unable to touch children anymore. At our schools, teachers literally can't touch a child. How crazy is that? Sometimes you HAVE to touch them - to hold them in place while you talk to them, to lead them down the hall by the hand so they don't dart off, to hug them if they're hurt.

Schools sometimes are without any other recourse except to call LE to help. In the Dallas area, middle and high schools decided to use LE to enforce no fighting/no disruption of class/truancy issues because there was no other way to get the kid's attention and the parent's attention. Parent's didn't care what the kids were doing, and having a saturday detention here and there wasn't helping. So making them show up in court and getting a juvenile record and paying large fines was the only way to get kids to behave the way they need to to keep the school system functioning.

I don't know what the answer is, but it does seem that authorities in schools have no real way to change behavior of children who are serious behavior problems.

So teachers can't touch a kid, but they can call the cops to come and torture the kid?

Why use police to deal with children who would be better served by attention from someone educated in working with children with special needs?

The same reason the US spends more money on prisons, then schools. There is no problem Americans can't be solved with more police and more prisons.:rolleyes:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BossJoss
Back