Thread: Psychological Aftermath

Psychological Aftermath

I can't even imagine the psychological scars these people will have for the rest of their lives. I'm going to light a candle and say another prayer.

New Orleans - The cute small girl on the roof of a house that is under water up to the first floor is carefully helped into a boat by the police.

"My mommy is dead. Then they pushed her into the water," she says to her rescuers, seriously but apparently unmoved.

This episode on Sunday appears to confirm the views of psychologists, who say that the mental reactions to America's worst natural disaster are not predictable.

People are still in shock and are simply fighting for survival.
    Source: News24.com
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *My posts are my opinions, expressed freely thanks to the First Amendment.*

I've also been wondering about the psychological effect on the various reporters. Shepard Smith and the one on CNN come to mind. The exhaustion, lack of ability to help, frustration must be taking its toll.

Sie Sie
    I cannot even begin to imagine, the effect this disaster will have on these peoples lives will be generational. I hope and pray that all the so called monday morning quarterbacks, and powers that be, remember this.That while they are busy pointing fingers, blaming and trying to save their own butts, they remember it is not all about them.

This is one of my considerable concerns. I have survived many storms but was always shaken up after. I mobilized at the time and fell apart after. But I never had to deal with death and total destruction and homelessness, more major inconveniance and financial implications.

The look in the eyes of so many victims is frightening....it is lost, at best and destitution of the soul,at worst. I want to hug them and take them to fantasy island and make it all go away but it won't. So, we can pray and be there and accept all contributions from every country that has offered. Bringing a home to someone will go a long way in having a stabilizing effect even if it isn't in New orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by TisHerself
    Sie Sie
    I cannot even begin to imagine, the effect this disaster will have on these peoples lives will be generational. I hope and pray that all the so called monday morning quarterbacks, and powers that be, remember this.That while they are busy pointing fingers, blaming and trying to save their own butts, they remember it is not all about them.
    I can't imagine the horrors they have and will continue to go through, either. I'm really worried because I had just a small fire in our kitchen and know how bad the insurance company tried to screw us - I really worry about these now homeless people having to try to fight for financial aid, insurance and government funding.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *My posts are my opinions, expressed freely thanks to the First Amendment.*

Dr. Louis Cataldie is speaking on CNN. He is one of my most favorite human beings on earth.He is saying that every effort will be made to return the dead to their families. We will not stand for anymore tragedy than has occurred.He is a man who endured the serial killers in Baton Rouge and ultimately was displaced for his opinions. He always spoke the truth even when it did not favor him. A man of profession, a man of heartfelt human response, a man with the courage to go forward. We need so many like him. Bless you, Louis.

When it gets so bad that experienced police officers are quitting in the middle of a crisis and committing suicide in the middle of a crisis- then you know it is almost unendurable. Experienced officers are usually the type that goes through the crisis, then falls apart afterward.
    Many of those officers were not rookies, who had never been tried. They were experienced officers- with a history with those depts., who had been hardened by training and experience.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Katrina Evacuee Attempts Suicide On D.C.-Bound Flight

A Hurricane Katrina evacuee attempted suicide aboard a plane bound for Washington, D.C.
    http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/4942011/detail.html
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

New Orleans police patrol cars

Sept. 7, 2005, 12:51AM

Houston Chronicle

A number of New Orleans police patrol cars have been spotted in Houston since Hurricane Katrina struck — several of which are now being stored in HPD parking lots, officials said.

Details about how the patrol cars arrived in Houston remained sketchy , more than a week after the devastating storm caused major flooding in the city.

"To our knowledge, (the patrol cars) have been driven by New Orleans police officers," said Lt. Robert Manzo, an HPD spokesman.

New Orleans police commanders are aware that several of their patrol cars are now in Houston, Manzo said.

"We were told not to stop them and we were told that these cars were not reported stolen," Manzo said.

The patrol cars apparently were taken by New Orleans police officers as they evacuated the city, officials said.

"That was the only mode of transportation," Manzo said. New Orleans police officials "are not interested in pursuing any charges against (the drivers.)"

2luvmy is offline RIP Ragdoll. You don't get to choose how you're going to die, or when. You can only decide how you're going to live now.
    Traumatized children bear Katrina's scars
    Unprecedented numbers of kids will need psychological help, experts say

Updated: 2:17 p.m. ET Sept. 10, 2005
    In a disaster within a disaster, unprecedented numbers of shaken children left in Hurricane Katrina’s wake are testing the nation’s network for emergency psychological help, according to caregivers and experts.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9270966/