NM - French tourists dead, child rescued at White Sands

AP story at the Guardian:

New Mexico park rangers rescue child after French tourists found dead
Routine desert patrol 2.5km from the remote Alkali Flat trail discovers bodies of two French hikers, rescues surviving boy

ZOMG, why would anyone go hiking in a place like this in 100 degree heat?:eek:

DIhE2Hj.jpg

I agree wfgodot, it is all very odd

if mom was going back to the vehicle, why were they giving the boy two sips to their one sip?

why didn't the boy have his own water bottle?

is 9 old enough to go on a 3+hour hike in the searing desert at the hottest time of day?

and if you're already sharing water by the time mom starts feeling ill, why not all turn back? the parents must've known she had heat exhaustion

if they had all turned back then, they would all likely be alive!

apparently it's common enough that they have warning signs posted about how much water to take with them

I don't understand hiking period. I don't get the attraction of it at all much less in these conditions

ZOMG, why would anyone go hiking in a place like this in 100 degree heat?:eek:

DIhE2Hj.jpg

Beautiful place, have bn there several times, different seasons, diff times of day.
For non-desert dwellers, that dry heat can be deceptively comfortable.
But when it comes to safety & weather, no fooling around w Mother Nature.

A terrible shame this couple met their deaths there, leaving their son without parents.
"The White Sands National Monument is ... in the state of New Mexico, at an elevation of 4,235 feet (1,291 m). The area is in the mountain-ringed Tularosa Basin and comprises the southern part of a 275 square miles (710 km[SUP]2[/SUP]) field of white sand dunes composed of gypsum crystals. It is the largest gypsum dune field in the world." bbm. Link for pix at wiki and official website.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Sands_National_Monument

White Sands website has translations to French and several other languages.
Warning signs at entrance & along roadway. Ditto pamphlets.
Alkali Flat Trail
"Distance from visitor center: 7 miles (11.2 km)
Length of trail: 4.6 miles (7.4 km) round-trip"
"....There is no shade or water along the trail, and summer temperatures can exceed 100 degrees F (38 ° C).Heat-related illness is common in warm weather and can be fatal. Hike during cool times. Carry food and at least two quarts of water. Rest, eat and drink when tired. Drinking water is available only at the Visitor Center. The white sand reflects sunlight. Protect all exposed skin from sunburn. Protect your eyes by wearing sunglasses. We recommend that you do not hike alone." bbm
Other pages on website advise a gallon of water per person per day.
http://www.nps.gov/whsa/planyourvisit/alkali-flat-trail.htm.

if mom was going back to the vehicle, why were they giving the boy two sips to their one sip?

is 9 old enough to go on a 3+hour hike in the searing desert at the hottest time of day?

and if you're already sharing water by the time mom starts feeling ill, why not all turn back? the parents must've known she had heat exhaustion

By the time they got to the point when they told her to wait there while they walked on I think they'd lost most of their cognitive abilities from heat exhaustion.

But getting to there.. I don't understand a hike in the desert on such a hot day and so ill-prepared.

apparently it's common enough that they have warning signs posted about how much water to take with them

I don't understand hiking period. I don't get the attraction of it at all much less in these conditions

I love hiking, and to me that looks like a gorgeous place to explore.

Clearly they had no idea what they were doing and were totally ill-prepared. They should have had at least three gallons of water with them, and they should not have been hiking at that time of the day.

When I was younger I went hiking a lot. But I usually only went when the temperature was under 80°F, and I hiked in the forest, where there was plenty of shade to cool off in.

I don't think I would ever want to hike in the desert like that. But if I did decide to do it, I would only do it when the temperature was very low. I sure wouldn't go hiking in 101°F anywhere.

It looks just like the beaches in the South of France in August - just without all the people. And without the water.

That's why they died, in my opinion. Failure to realize this was nothing like the Riviera and nothing like France. If a person goes hiking there, there is always some farmer to provide water and a phone, even if it's grudging and there's a fierce dog that looks more like a bear. (personal experience). Poor souls. I wish the best for their little one.

It looks just like the beaches in the South of France in August - just without all the people. And without the water.

That's why they died, in my opinion. Failure to realize this was nothing like the Riviera and nothing like France. If a person goes hiking there, there is always some farmer to provide water and a phone, even if it's grudging and there's a fierce dog that looks more like a bear. (personal experience). Poor souls. I wish the best for their little one.

That's what it sounds like to me as well. They were not prepared to hike down here. They didn't take enough water. Sad.

Apparently mother didn't feel well and decided to go back to the car. Before getting back to the car, she collapsed and died.
Father and son continued on. Then father collapsed and died. Sounds like they died from excessive heat. Being from France, they are likely not used to this type of heat.

The couple planned an entire itinerary for a U.S. visit, then took so little water on a hike which began in stifling temperatures? Odd.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back