Australian man finds sparkling 'star' lying in gutter, seeks owner

zwiebel

Reaction score
Andrew Shimmin was out walking in Brisbane, Queensland yesterday when he spotted something sparkling in the gutter. He picked it up and found a beautiful, 3-diamond engagement ring.

He took it to media channel 9 News in an attempt to find the owners, and the ring was taken to an expert who says it was made well before 1940 and so is most likely a precious family heirloom. It's worth about A$5,000.

9 News is holding onto the ring for the Good Samaritan. Hopefully, someone will get a precious ring back soon and 9 News will get a nice story with a happy ending. :)

http://www.9news.com.au/National/20...of-vintage-diamond-ring-found-in-Brisbane-CBD

Attachments

• 150807_qldring2_9-1.jpg
    150807_qldring2_9-1.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 75
Andrew Shimmin was out walking in Brisbane, Queensland yesterday when he spotted something sparkling in the gutter. He picked it up and found a beautiful, 3-diamond engagement ring.

He took it to media channel 9 News in an attempt to find the owners, and the ring was taken to an expert who says it was made well before 1940 and so is most likely a precious family heirloom. It's worth about A$5,000.

9 News is holding onto the ring for the Good Samaritan. Hopefully, someone will get a precious ring back soon and 9 News will get a nice story with a happy ending. :)

http://www.9news.com.au/National/20...of-vintage-diamond-ring-found-in-Brisbane-CBD

Wow. It's gorgeous. How will anyone prove it's theirs though?

I thought the same. So I think it must have something engraved on the inside, and the claimant's going to have to be able to say what that is.

Or...it looks a little European to me. Maybe it has a hallmark from another country?

that was nice of him

I probably would've just kept it

I don't know why he wouldn't take it to the police though - they would check & see if it's stolen (maybe he did that first)

He probably thought there was more chance that 9 news would find the owner than the police. The police would probably just file a report and wait until someone came looking. Whereas good samaritan finds family heirloom and goes looking for the owner is just the kind of story channel 9 loves.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back