GUILTY VT - Social worker & 3 women found murdered, Washington County, 7 Aug 2015 - *2018 Appeal Filed*

Indy Anna

Reaction score

Officials: Mom Who Lost Custody Kills Kids' Services Worker

BARRE, Vt. — Aug 7, 2015, 11:02 PM ET

A woman who was upset about losing custody of her daughter used a hunting rifle to fatally shoot a child-welfare agency worker who had handled her case, authorities said.

The shooting happened Friday outside a state office building that houses the Department for Children and Families, Gov. Peter Shumlin's office said.
Read more at ....

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/officials-mom-lost-custody-kills-kids-services-worker-32957001

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2015/08/vermont_authorities_id_social.html

The body lay beneath a blood-stained white sheet for more than three-and-a-half hours, drawing a crowd that speculated on the identity of the victim because, they said, the purse, scarf and shoe, which were all visible, were familiar.........

At one point, there were perhaps 60 people — some of them children — in the parking lot behind Jerry’s Sports Tavern, next door to City Place. Some said they were anxious the woman beneath the blood-stained sheet could be a caseworker that several people spoke highly of.
Read more at ....

http://rutlandherald.com/article/20150808/NEWS03/708089900

Hunting rifle used as murder weapon:

custody9n-1-web.jpg

It does seem insensitive to allow the public to view the victim of this horrific crime for such a prolonged time. While a blood-stained sheet covered her, a purse and shoe were visible. I understand the priority was to process the crime scene, and in doing so, the victim, if deceased, might need to remain there in order to do the most thorough investigation. But it can't be that hard to have portable screens available to set up around the perimeter that would not impede the investigation, yet would preserve the the dignity and respect of the victim. I am not faulting the police, for their first priority is to honor the victim by bringing the perp to justice, and in the first few critical hours after the crime, they have much to do. Perhaps Victims Rights organizations could help by lobbying for and providing ways to preserve the privacy of victims of crime and their families at crime scenes in the public eye. I am grateful for the people who spoke out at this scene asking for respect for this victim who died in the line of her duty to protect children.

Vermont woman has been taken into custody after she allegedly used a high-powered rifle with a scope to shoot and kill a social services worker after losing custody of her 9-year-old daughter, reports the Burlington Free Press.

According to police, Jody Herring fired two shots at “close proximity” Friday night, killing Vermont Department for Children and Families employee Lara Sobel as she left her office.

Authorities say witnesses tackled Herring after the shooting, holding her until police arrived.

Three women found dead in a rural Vermont home Saturday morning is related to another case in which a woman is suspected of gunning down a state social worker the day before, officials said. The bodies of the victims, who have not been identified, were discovered at about 8 a.m. in Berlin, a small town of nearly 3,000 people, but investigators do not yet know when they were killed, Kevin Blanchard, a patrolman with the Berlin Police Department, told NBC News.

At least two of the three women suffered gunshot wounds, the Vermont State Police said in a statement.

Investigators have determined that the three victims are relatives of Jody Herring, who was arrested Friday in connection with the fatal shooting of Lara Sobel, a social worker with the Vermont Department for Children and Families, according to state police.
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...t-related-murder-suspect-state-worker-n406506

And this is my worse fear as a social worker... getting gunned down for doing my job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pictured: Social worker who was 'killed by woman who lost custody of her daughter'

Lara Sobel was fatally shot on Friday outside a state office building that houses the Department for Children and Families, authorities said

Police said the mother, Jody Herring, used a 'high caliber' rifle

She was detained by people in and around the building after the shooting

Sobel, who has worked for DCF for more than 14 years, had been involved in a case that saw Herring's daughter taken into state custody, officials said

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...oman-lost-custody-daughter.html#ixzz3iHEcxnIC

More women work in social services in my experience.

The three female relatives of Herring found dead in a home weren't social services workers, but apparently they had been involved in the custody dispute.

It is very unusual for the perp and victims of a mass shooting to all be female.

http://www.necn.com/news/new-england/Vt-DCF-Worker-Shot-and-Killed-321099451.html

Shumlin said Jody Herring is thought to have gone to the home on Airport Road first, fatally shooting her three family members, before heading to Barre to kill Sobel.

I remember reading in another article that Sobel called one of the victims Saturday morning and threatened her because she had reported JH to DCF.

ETA link and quote:

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/...ce-investigate-multiple-deaths-home/31332927/

"My mother got a call in the morning, maybe 7:30 or 8 o'clock, saying it was Jody Herring, saying 'You guys need to stop calling DCF unless you guys are going to have it coming to you,'" Tiffany Herring said.

If a relative of the social worked called CPS on this family she should not have been assigned that as a case. Conflict of interest. But I don't know how small that town is.

That social worker probably saved the 9 yr olds life. Her mother has killed 4 people already. Who knows what she might have done to her daughter when raising her.

If a relative of the social worked called CPS on this family she should not have been assigned that as a case. Conflict of interest. But I don't know how small that town is.

You are misreading this. It was the relative of the mother (the mother being the murderer) who called child welfare.

Sorry for the confusion. I stated that "Sobel" called the other victims and threatened them. Sobel is the deceased social worker. It was Jody Herring who called her relatives and threatened them the day before they were found dead.

It's cool. I'm pretty medicated from a procedure on Friday. I thought for some reason the other women were shot with Sobel outside the building hence me saying more women work in social services which is why all were women victims.
Things make more sense now lol.

I wonder who the dad is?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member