Identified! FL - Ormond Beach, WhtMale 1047UMFL, 20-35, deformed jaw, biker gear, Jan'86 - Howard “Kip” Evans

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
FpdjDUd.jpg

150058_7_lg.jpg
150058_8_lg.jpg
150058_9_lg.jpg
nLsYmUR.jpg

Almost 30 years ago, in some remote woods often used as a biker campsite near Ormond Beach, a man cutting palmettos found the skeletal remains of a homicide victim.

[...]
The man’s remains were found the afternoon of Jan. 18, 1986, in dense woods off Jones Island Road in Bulow Creek State Park, about four miles north of the park’s entrance. An examination revealed he was the victim of a homicide, but some of his bones were scattered by animals or damaged.

The victim’s clothing, some of it rotted, indicated he was a biker. The items included a long-sleeved baseball T-shirt (white with black sleeves), a leather cap with a pin with the initials “FTW,” some rings, a Harley-Davidson belt buckle, and a keychain with the words “KKK MEMBER IN GOOD STANDING.”

A forensic artist with the University of South Florida recently provided the Sheriff’s Office a facial reconstruction of the victim in the hopes someone might recognize him. The victim is believed to be a white male, approximately 20 to 35 years old and about 5 feet, 9 inches tall. It’s believed he had a facial deformity which caused his jaw to appear lopsided and gave him an exaggerated, noticeable overbite.

Anyone who believes they might have information on the identity of the victim or the homicide itself is asked to contact the Sheriff’s Office at 386-254-1537.

http://www.volusiasheriff.org/press/2015press_releases/may/150058.htm

DoeNet and NamUs Pages:

Case File: 1047UMFL http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1047umfl.html
NamUs UP # 1233 https://identifyus.org/en/cases/1233

Unidentified Male
  • Date of Discovery: January 18, 1986
  • Location of Discovery: Bulow State Park, Volusia County, Florida
  • Estimated Date of Death: 1985-1986
  • State of Remains: Not recognizable - Near complete or complete skeleton
  • Cause of Death: Unknown

Physical Description
** Listed information is approximate

• Estimated Age: 21-35 years old
  • Race: White
  • Height: 5'8" to 5'10"
  • Weight: 150-160 lbs.
  • Hair Color: Light brown with a red tint worn in a pony tail.
  • Eye Color: Unknown

Distinguishing Marks/Features:
A deformity of the lower right jaw known as hemifacial microsomia that caused the jaw to protrude to the right side of his face, and would have been noticeable.

• Dentals: Available. Poor oral health with periodontal disease.
  • Fingerprints: Not available.
  • DNA: Available.

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: A dirt stained gray or light green pullover shirt with three-quarter length black sleeves, black leather cap with brown trim that had a roach clip inside the brim along with Confederate flag pin and an "F.T.W." pin, leather belt with a Harley Davidson metal buckle, blue jeans (size 32), gray socks with blue stripes, and black leather boots (size 11).

Jewelry: A silver necklace that had a silver and turquoise wedding band style ring. A silver KKK pendant that read "member in good standing," a silver ring with a Grim Reaper design, and a silver ring with skull and cross bones.

Additional Personal Items: Buck knife case on belt, two guitar picks in his pocket, and a biker-type wallet chain with no wallet.

Case History
The victim's skeletal remains were located on Beach Pump House Drive off Old Dixie Road on Jones Island.

I get the feeling that a lot of these biker dudes had a habit of making enemies and it's no surprise so many of them ended up dead.
And finding two men in the south with Confederate flag related items isn't unheard of at all.

I keep going back and forth about whether the sketch was done in the style that exaggerates a person’s features rather than how they actually appeared in life or if the sketch is how John Doe actually looked. I have a suspicion that if it is the latter, that the unidentified man usually grew a beard to obscure his uneven jaw line.

I get the feeling that a lot of these biker dudes had a habit of making enemies and it's no surprise so many of them ended up dead.
And finding two men in the south with Confederate flag related items isn't unheard of at all.

Unfortunately I think most of us do stereotype bikers this way and therefore such cases attract less attention and help then others. I almost did runner from this case myself when on second look I have realized that KKK token does really stands for KKK... On further research I have found out that these particular tokens were mass produced in late 70' and 80' and it does not necessarily mean that he must have been affiliated with KKK, but it might have been acquired as rather "interesting" or "different from others" accessory. Pin with lettering F.T.W found at his possession apparently stands for F..ck This World (pardon my language). Sounds like he was going for shock value.

But no matter what's any of JD background, they all deserve to go home.

During research I have came across different Florida bike case describing interestingly a bit of history of Outlaws which could point that motive for this JD demise might not have been necessarily personal.

(snipped by me)
During their time in the Outlaws, more than 100 people were killed around the country in biker disputes - arguably the most violent period in American motorcycling.

The Outlaws were locked in a bitter war with the Hell's Angels. Bikers from both clubs were getting killed in Charlotte, N.C., Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and other cities.

If an Outlaw had occasion to come across a Hell's Angel somewhere he could get away with it, he was to take a shot at him, try to kill him.

The Sunshine State was “Outlaws territory,” and the Fort Lauderdale chapter was once a powerhouse of the gang's locals.
http://www.toledoblade.com/Police-F...ller-biker-turns-on-his-Outlaws-brothers.html

and a bit more from
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlaw_motorcycle_club

Outlaw motorcycle clubs who identify with biker subculture may not necessarily be criminals, with some members expressing their outlaw status on a social level, and equating the word "outlaw" with disregard for the law of groups like the American Motorcyclist Association, not that of civic government.

There are also non-outlaw motorcycle clubs, who adopt similar insignia, colors, organizational structure and trappings, such as leather outfits typical of outlaw clubs, and, in the case of men, beards, making it difficult for outsiders to tell the difference between the two.

Frequently, additional patches may involve symbols, such as the use of the Nazi version swastikas or the SS death's head. These generally do not indicate Nazi sympathies, but serve to express the outlaw biker's total rejection of social constraints, and desire for the shock value among those who fail to understand the biker way.

I definitely agree that this John Doe needs to go home, and someone is missing him somewhere. I was just pointing out that Neo Nazi or KKK memorabilia are common in certain outlaw groups and it doesn't necessarily mean a connection between to JD's.

I was doing some basic research on biker gangs, which I assume that he may be part of from the look of his accessories. Bikers tend to have accessories that pertain to their gangs. Two of his rings have skulls and one of them is a grim reaper. There is a biker gang called the Grim Reapers and they are based in Kentucky. Their motto is also FTW. Harley Davidson is also their preferred bike. They also had a chapter down in Florida, but because of Operation Iron Horse they have been knocked down. But I'm sure that these things could match a dozen other Biker Gangs.

If he was a biker where was his jacket? From what I've read the jackets hold a dear attachment and they are protective of them. It's essential a sign of them being a part of their gang. One website even said that if an injured member's jacket was mishandled by the Emergency Department there would be a big scene about it.

his "cut". if he was murdered by a rival, its possible they took it.

I was doing some basic research on biker gangs, which I assume that he may be part of from the look of his accessories. Bikers tend to have accessories that pertain to their gangs. Two of his rings have skulls and one of them is a grim reaper. There is a biker gang called the Grim Reapers and they are based in Kentucky. Their motto is also FTW. Harley Davidson is also their preferred bike. They also had a chapter down in Florida, but because of Operation Iron Horse they have been knocked down. But I'm sure that these things could match a dozen other Biker Gangs.

If he was a biker where was his jacket? From what I've read the jackets hold a dear attachment and they are protective of them. It's essential a sign of them being a part of their gang. One website even said that if an injured member's jacket was mishandled by the Emergency Department there would be a big scene about it.

With apologies, and no disrespect meant - I wonder if this man could have had a mental deficiency? Sometimes persons wishing to be accepted affect the trappings of a certain type and then without realizing it, could offend the "real guys". Hope that makes sense.

Second theory, he was a gang member, and his colors aka jacket with patches showing the club affiliation, along with his bike got disappeared by the rival club.

Came back to add that these clubs often like their victims to be known to the member's own club... Otherwise, how does one know club A has killed a a member of club B?

Could this deformity of the jaw come from when he was either in a car accident, fight, etc.???

From the way they describe it I think that they believe it's genetic. I think that if it was caused from trauma they would probably say that there were fractures or evidence of trauma.They think that it might be Hemifacial microsomia which is when one side of the face is under developed. So the reconstructions might not be an exaggeration of his faces unevenness. It could also be possible that one of his ears maybe underdeveloped and or absent if he has Hemifacial microsomia.

From the way they describe it I think that they believe it's genetic. I think that if it was caused from trauma they would probably say that there were fractures or evidence of trauma.They think that it might be Hemifacial microsomia which is when one side of the face is under developed. So the reconstructions might not be an exaggeration of his faces unevenness.
Makes sense to me now

maybe this guy.. his teeth look a bit similar and his facial structure does too.. His stats seem to be in the range.. the only thing is he has a Beatles hair cut but who knows if his hair looked like that at time of missing.. that looks like a yearbook photo.. It does not mention anything about his jaw though. Who knows maybe he had some alter ego?

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/4789dmnc.html
Name: John Prange Masse
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: March 16, 1984
Location Last Seen: Greensboro, Alamance County, North Carolina

Physical Description
Date of Birth: August 26, 1957
Race: White
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 160 lbs.
Hair Color: Brown/sandy
Eye Color: Green

Nickname/Alias: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown
Identifiers
Dentals: Not Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Not Available
Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Plaid shirt and blue jeans.
Jewelry: Unknown

Additional Personal Items: Driving a 1979 yellow Toyota Corolla hatchback, had wallet.
Circumstances of Disappearance
Masse, a cost analyst at Burlington Industries, was last seen leaving a party in Greensboro on March 16, 1984. He never arrived at his home, 333 Rosemont St., in Gibsonville, and nobody ever found him or his 1979 Toyota hatchback. He was reported missing to the Alamance County Sheriff's Department on March 24, 1984, by people he worked with. There are no clues indicating what happened to him. He was declared legally dead years ago at the petition of his family.
4789DMNC[1].jpg7ba389de62fe5f7ba1ce9b7f01885e9c[1].png

I found this guy too. The photo states on the Doe page its from 1979.. and it also states he was in Route to Florida.. The style of clothing seem similar as well as the stats.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/4402dmky.html

Perry Juerrell Stokes
Missing since August 24, 1982 from Elkton, Todd County, Kentucky
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics
Age at Time of Disappearance: 20 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'10"; 140 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown hair; blue eyes.
Marks, Scars: Scar that runs from breast bone to approximately 2" from navel from a previous spleen operation. Flat area on back of right side of head.

Clothing: Last seen wearing a pair of blue jeans, a shirt of unknown color, a camouflage hat, and a brown belt with a German-type eagle on the buckle. It is believed that the back of his belt buckle was engraved with the phrase "white brass" and possibly his social security number. Tan boots, size 9 or 9 1/2.
Jewelry: It is believed that he may have had an unknown quantity of rings in his possession for possible resale. Gold chain necklace with the emblem of a horse with wings inside a circle.
Dentals: Available
Fingerprints: Available
AKA: Buck or Juerrell

Circumstances of Disappearance
On the afternoon of August 24, 1982 it was believed that Perry went squirrel hunting with a friend.
Afterward they went to the friends house. He advised his dad that he would be home shortly.
Close friends believe that he may have been en route to either Nashville or Florida.

PStokes[1].jpg7ba389de62fe5f7ba1ce9b7f01885e9c[1].png

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back