Sad Story of Little Boy & His Dog

My heart bleeds for the little boy and Snowball... and as for the person who ripped that dog out of the child's arms... I hope it haunts him day and night for the rest of his miserable days... JMO

Hopefully they will be able to find Snowball and reunite him with this little guy. I am sure there are a lot of stories out there about missing children, missing animals, missing relatives, etc., but this one really caught my attention.

Poco, I was sick when I heard about that boy and Snowball :(

Although this story is sad beyond belief, I want to ask...

What was the guy suppose to do? Let the dog go along and then he would have had to let everyone's dog or cat or snake or rat go to.
Thereby taking up more space that could have been used for people and potentially causing discomfort for those who are allergic?

Most likely he was following orders. His job was to evacuate people!
IMO that child's parents should have been better prepared so that he would not have had to give up his dog. Ultimately it was their responsibilty.

I do not understand the anomosity towards this man who was trying to evacuate as many people as possible in short time.

I am a pet lover and would be heart broken if anything happend to my pets.
But if it has to come down to my dog or another human life?

The flip side of the coin is that someone be refused to evacuate because a dog was taking up space. Would anyone of us be happier about that scenario??
I don't think we would.. There is no happiness about many aspects of what happend to the hurricaine victims.

I see both sides of the story. My pets mean the world to me, but I know that human lives must take priority in a crisis like this one.

Ntegrity said:
I see both sides of the story. My pets mean the world to me, but I know that human lives must take priority in a crisis like this one.

I do also, but I'm afraid I would be one of those people who refused to leave their pets. I pray that I am never faced with a tragedy like this, but if I were, I would do everything I could to get my pets to safety. They are my babies and I couldn't leave them behind. There was a woman shown on Fox last night who wanted to evacuate, but wouldn't because she couldn't take her dog with her. I completely understood where she was coming from.

I remember in the early 90's, there was a hurricane brewing in the gulf that looked like it was headed our way. We immediately made plans to go further west towards San Antonio and booked hotel rooms that would allow you to bring your pets. Fortunately, that hurricane fizzled out, but living on the gulf coast, you always think about hurricanes.

My prayers go out to this little boy and Snowball. On top of everything else he's been through, his heart is breaking for his beloved pet.

So many heartbreaking stories with this horrible tragedy. :(

Late Monday, there was a ray of hope. The United Animal Nations (search) said Snowball was safe, citing news from the state veterinarian's office. However, the information could not be immediately verified. To complicate matters further, the group called Snowball a terrier mix, while others consider the dog a bichon frise.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,168550,00.html

I hope they've really found the dog!!! I'm sure there are many, many similar stories. This is just one we are hearing about, and of course there's nothing like a boy and his dog.

My sister lives in Boston and told me this morning that many of the homeless pets are being brought to their area and her family is considering fostering a few pets until they are able to go home.

Sassygerl said:
Late Monday, there was a ray of hope. The United Animal Nations (search) said Snowball was safe, citing news from the state veterinarian's office. However, the information could not be immediately verified. To complicate matters further, the group called Snowball a terrier mix, while others consider the dog a bichon frise.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,168550,00.html

I hope they've really found the dog!!! I'm sure there are many, many similar stories. This is just one we are hearing about, and of course there's nothing like a boy and his dog.

Sassygerl, thank you so much for posting this. :blowkiss: I so hope this really is Snowball!!!

My sister lives in Boston and told me this morning that many of the homeless pets are being brought to their area and her family is considering fostering a few pets until they are able to go home.

I'm going to talk to my husband tonight about fostering some of these pets. I need to check with my subdivision to see what they will allow me to do (i.e. number of pets, etc.) They showed a shelter last night on Fox that was caring for some of these pets and it was wonderful to see some of them reunited with their owners.

NewMom2003 said:
I do also, but I'm afraid I would be one of those people who refused to leave their pets. I pray that I am never faced with a tragedy like this, but if I were, I would do everything I could to get my pets to safety. They are my babies and I couldn't leave them behind.

There was a woman shown on Fox last night who wanted to evacuate, but wouldn't because she couldn't take her dog with her. I completely understood where she was coming from.

I remember in the early 90's, there was a hurricane brewing in the gulf that looked like it was headed our way. We immediately made plans to go further west towards San Antonio and booked hotel rooms that would allow you to bring your pets. Fortunately, that hurricane fizzled out, but living on the gulf coast, you always think about hurricanes.

My prayers go out to this little boy and Snowball. On top of everything else he's been through, his heart is breaking for his beloved pet.

So many heartbreaking stories with this horrible tragedy. :(

Hi NewMom and all,

I feel exactly the same way you all do. I'm praying Snowball and his "little guy" owner are reunited - and asap.

The reports & horrific visuals of ALL the abandoned, stranded & starving animals are stressing me to the point of near insanity. (O.K. - *Insanity* may be a slight exaggeration - but it's damn close.) I can handle almost anything better than the needless suffering of helpless animals. (No, it does not mean I don't care about human life & suffering - I most certainly do.)

God Bless "Jean Jones" (in Ft. Lauderdale, FL) of PuppyMillRescue.Com and now "KatrinaFoundPets.Com for going the extra mile in her attempts to reunite Snowball with his human family.

NewMom2003, the devastated woman, you referenced above, that was hoping to be evacuated with her dog "Tinky" and who had spent days assisted others in making it safely to the I-10 bridge area - was denied rescue for her beloved dog by the National Guard. She stated that she just could not leave Tinky behind.

David Lee Miller was reporting for FOX News. The woman's name is Lewanda Poley - and "Tinky" (a female) appears to be a Chow mix.

I have made numerous calls attempting to locate Lewanda & Tinky. If anyone hears anything more regarding either of them through the news media - PLEASE post here on WS.

I have 3 extra bedrooms here, a guest house & a large fenced "dog friendly" yard in a safe neighborhood. Witnessing the anguish & devastation on this woman's face just broke my heart. I would never leave my pets either - they go where I go. Anyway, I would gladly drive to the New Orleans area to bring them here to my home in Central FL. We experienced Charley, Frances & Jeanne last hurricane season - but as bad as they were here - none of them could hold a candle to Katrina's catastrophic devastation.

So - please if anyone hears anything further about Lewanda & Tinky - please post it. I'll keep trying through FOX, humane animal organizations & the various relief agencies - and will check here at WS often. Thanks so much. :)

13th Juror

IMO, each situation is different - if it would have been me, the little boy would have been able to take his little dog with him. Compassion and common sense do not need to be lost!

It is very sad but realistically with people going into a public shelter like the Astrodome I cant see how pets could be safely accomodated. There are thousands of people living in shared space. Can you imagine hundreds of dogs and cats that may not have been immunized biting people or fighting with other animals not to mention dealing with animal waste in a crowded facility.

poco said:
IMO, each situation is different - if it would have been me, the little boy would have been able to take his little dog with him. Compassion and common sense do not need to be lost!
Yes it has to be taken on a case by case basis. Guidelines can be changed if one has some compassion. I hope snowball gets back to this little boy!

tybee204 said:
It is very sad but realistically with people going into a public shelter like the Astrodome I cant see how pets could be safely accomodated. There are thousands of people living in shared space. Can you imagine hundreds of dogs and cats that may not have been immunized biting people or fighting with other animals not to mention dealing with animal waste in a crowded facility.

Many people have smuggled their pets onto the buses...then they are taken by the Houston SPCA where they are housed and cared for while their owners are also housed and cared for...

There is no excuse for that little boy not being able to take his very small dog with him!

Sometimes a beloved pet is all someone has left in this world...

Poco, I can not bring myself to read the story that you posted the link to. I know I would sit here and cry. I hope that Snowball is found. Please post any updates that you find.

poco said:

Amen Ms. Poco... Amen....

The story of Snowball left me crying at the keyboard.
So I emailed the President asking him to help reuninte Snowball and his boy and included the link to the story. It may sound trivial but I was hoping to appeal to someone in high places.
I like many others here would not leave my dogs behind and this story break my heart.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kac1991
Back