Fawn and bunny caught on video having a bouncing competition

zwiebel

Reaction score
Two volunteers at the Lula W. Dorsey Museum in Colorado captured a lovely video from the porch. A fawn and a baby rabbit having a lot of fun, apparently trying to see who could jump the highest.

Amazingly, the little rabbit seems to have won because the fawn was enthusiastic but all splayed limbs!

Nice touch at the end is the worried voice of a woman asking, 'You don't think the rabbit's scared, do you?' then reassuring herself the bunny could easily have hidden under a bush if it was. I had exactly the same thought process. Definitely just having a lot of fun.

Video at link:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/caught-video-real-life-bambi-thumper-play-mountains/story?id=33036580

YMCA Facebook where it was orginally posted. Video's bigger there.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...-life-bambi-thumper-play-mountains/story&_rdr

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-08-13-18-18-54-1.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-08-13-18-18-54-1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 104
Thanks a million! What a gentle cleansing formula of mind bleach to wash mine of all the ugliness in the world that it has read about today.

Sorry to ruin it but the rabbit is trying to use a defense manuver that he is either too young or unable to do.From watching my wild rabbits in the backyard,they will jump up and use their backlegs to kick at the offending animal.You can see this rabbit trying to do the same but not getting enough height.Sorry I know it looks cute but the rabbit is scared and fighting.

If you didn't want to ruin it you could have just said nothing.

It's not ruined for me though. Watching wild rabbits in my backyard, I've seen them run away as fast and as far as possible when scared. They only do the kicking thing if they feel cornered.

Well, that bunny did seem to have a lot of opportunities to hide out under the bushes and the porch, but seemed to choose not to....

I guess deer and rabbits cross paths quite a bit, so they're probably accustomed to one another? I still tend to think they're having fun. Unless that baby bunny is actually a baby hare. In which case he wanted a fight. A hare kicked my dog in the nose so hard once, and he was only saying hello. :)

*Just in odd, unrelated animal news, I spent the past two days building the best hedgehog house you'll ever see, in fierce heat. It was such hard work, not just practical but because I researched exactly what they needed. This morning, I go out and find a family of hedgehogs have moved in. Underneath the dang house!!

I once watched a couple of rabbits in the field behind me taking turns jumping in the air. It really did look like they were having a jumping contest because they attained pretty good height. They were facing each other but didn't appear to feel threatened, as they maintained their distance and didn't use their legs for anything other than jumping. And it continued for a good while! :boing: :boing:

I once watched a couple of rabbits in the field behind me taking turns jumping in the air. It really did look like they were having a jumping contest because they attained pretty good height. They were facing each other but didn't appear to feel threatened, as they maintained their distance and didn't use their legs for anything other than jumping. And it continued for a good while! :boing: :boing:

While that jumping can be used for protection against aggressive animals, it's also part of how male rabbits get female rabbits aroused/physically prepared for sex.

Two volunteers at the Lula W. Dorsey Museum in Colorado captured a lovely video from the porch. A fawn and a baby rabbit having a lot of fun, apparently trying to see who could jump the highest.

Amazingly, the little rabbit seems to have won because the fawn was enthusiastic but all splayed limbs!

Nice touch at the end is the worried voice of a woman asking, 'You don't think the rabbit's scared, do you?' then reassuring herself the bunny could easily have hidden under a bush if it was. I had exactly the same thought process. Definitely just having a lot of fun.

Video at link:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/caught-video-real-life-bambi-thumper-play-mountains/story?id=33036580

YMCA Facebook where it was orginally posted. Video's bigger there.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...-life-bambi-thumper-play-mountains/story&_rdr

I viewed the adorable video earlier on the Weather Channel app. The reporter's dialogue consisted of liken it to a film from a Disney movie. Danger nor sex entered my mind; perhaps, due to the preconceived notion that, generally, Disney children's films depict innocence of animals.

I viewed the adorable video earlier on the Weather Channel app. The reporter's dialogue consisted of liken it to a film from a Disney movie. Danger nor sex entered my mind; perhaps, due to the preconceived notion that, generally, Disney children's films depict innocence of animals.

I do think that rabbits do it for play too. In my back yard there are rabbits and squirrels -- the squirrels sometimes run at the rabbits, who jump up and confuse them. It doesn't seem terribly aggressive to me, and sometimes they eat in close proximity to each other without any aggression at all, so it wouldn't surprise me if it's a sort of play.

I don't know if bunny was playing or not, but doubt it was acting out of fear. Maybe playing, maybe standing up for itself, but it was not cornered at any time and had many opportunities to get away if it wanted to. IMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708
Back