I'm so angry part 2

Hmmmmm, do you think that ended everyone's angry thoughts? LOL

less0305 said:

I'm going to take it personally...I replied to Dara, and then the thread got locked! (She must have read my dissertation from earlier and decided there just wasn't enough bandwidth ;) )

But THANK YOU Chico!

less0305 said:

Not mind. I still see babies who should be with their moms and I still see displaced persons all over the south.If you see a better scenario please share.Not slamming you but this isn't a picnic.

concernedperson said:
Not mind. I still see babies who should be with their moms and I still see displaced persons all over the south.If you see a better scenario please share.Not slamming you but this isn't a picnic.

Oh, my good grief. Like I meant anything by that. Yeah, I'm picnicking here.

Definitely not a picnic. Its hard to describe how something this huge affects everyone even if your not directly involved. It seems to have that numbing feeling.

Without naming names or agencies, ahem....today was an interesting day at work. Great people doing great work in assisting the evacuees...a dept that I am proud to work in/at, I'm proud to say they do a pretty bang-up job :woohoo:

AND YET....

some tensions flaring, peers that are normally great friends getting into some turf wars, etc. And my boss even didn't have a lot of patience with a citizen that had been TOLD to call him by the local Sheriff's Dept (can you say, passing the buck?!). :eek:

BUT...

all done to continue the day's work and on-going planning that has to be revised, etc. Manpower schedule revisions, equipment, communications, etc. :clap: Oh yeah, and "business as usual" work.

There's a lot of good going on in this tragedy.

This maybe doesn't belong in an "angry" thread, but I'm not sure it deserves its own thread. But like DeputyDawg says good things are happening!

There were 83 homes and 10 townhomes purchased in Lafayette by Friday of last week. Over the weekend, a very large international oil company purchased 20 plus homes to house their displaced employees.

Apartment complexes are waiving their usual fees to get displaced families in a home of their own.

4,000 children have registered in the Lafayette Parish School system by this afternoon at 4:30PM.

Record donations have been made to our local food bank, red cross donations are flowing in, the Salvation Army clothed about 2,000 individuals today! :dance:

I'm so touched by the outpouring of love for those in need.

I just read over in another forum that Barbara Bush said that since the survivors were already so poor, they are doing pretty well in the Astrodome. Does anyone know if this is true, if she really said that?

kgeaux said:
This maybe doesn't belong in an "angry" thread, but I'm not sure it deserves its own thread. But like DeputyDawg says good things are happening!

There were 83 homes and 10 townhomes purchased in Lafayette by Friday of last week. Over the weekend, a very large international oil company purchased 20 plus homes to house their displaced employees.

Apartment complexes are waiving their usual fees to get displaced families in a home of their own.

4,000 children have registered in the Lafayette Parish School system by this afternoon at 4:30PM.

Record donations have been made to our local food bank, red cross donations are flowing in, the Salvation Army clothed about 2,000 individuals today! :dance:

Yea! Any sparkling of positive news is needed and cherished.
It's going to take a long time to pump all that water out of NO, but I heard the Mayor say he estimated that now only 60% of NO is under water.
More rescues today and more people who just refuse to leave.

And the prayers continue....

txsvicki said:
I just read over in another forum that Barbara Bush said that since the survivors were already so poor, they are doing pretty well in the Astrodome. Does anyone know if this is true, if she really said that?
I have no idea if she said that or not, BUT if she did I think I understand what she may have meant.

I sit out here in sunny Southern CA where even the poor kids have GameBoys and so forth. Even the poor have Cell Phones. In general even the poor are a spoiled lot and I didn't see that in the people that were rescused, they had nothing in most cases except each other and a T.V.

What Barbara may have meant IF she said that was that some had lived in such poor conditions and were a strong lot of individuals and could endure more than those who had much more.

I've been watching my local station and seeing small groups being flown in by private jet to Los Angeles where they will be housed at The Dream Center in Echo Park which was a former hospital (Queen of Angels). They expect to house approx. 300 by this weekend.

Already most of them don't want to go back (a few of the older ones do) one young guy said he felt like a Rock Star, so sad, he was so impressed with his new clothes and coming to California. Some actually think they could afford to live here, which of course they won't, it just breaks my heart.

Lets wait and see if Barbara did make that statement, and IF she did, I think I'll understand what she meant.

kgeaux said:

kgeaux, have you noticed how the towns that are taking in the evacuees are immediately getting the kids into schools? I think this is great!

They started placing the evacuated children in school out here today, and in San Diego I think they start next week. I think they're making sure all the kids have their immunitizations first and school clothes.

From what I've read so far, reading Drudge basically, she said it.
I have always been a fan of the plain spoken Momma Bush, but I think that this time, she caught a case of foot-in-mouth disease. I don't think she meant anything bad by it, but it just came out that way.
But, her DH is not President any longer so what she says doesn't hold a lot of "heavy" influence with me.

DEPUTYDAWG said:
Without naming names or agencies, ahem....today was an interesting day at work. Great people doing great work in assisting the evacuees...a dept that I am proud to work in/at, I'm proud to say they do a pretty bang-up job :woohoo:

AND YET....

some tensions flaring, peers that are normally great friends getting into some turf wars, etc. And my boss even didn't have a lot of patience with a citizen that had been TOLD to call him by the local Sheriff's Dept (can you say, passing the buck?!). :eek:

BUT...

all done to continue the day's work and on-going planning that has to be revised, etc. Manpower schedule revisions, equipment, communications, etc. :clap: Oh yeah, and "business as usual" work.

There's a lot of good going on in this tragedy.

Deputy, I don't think anyone here doubts there is great heroism going on throughout the devastated regions. Many of the survivors have said as much.

It's the upper management we're faulting, not those who put their lives on the line.

I am getting angrier the more and more I see that photo of all those school buses on that parking lot floodd to their roof tops. If the plan for the state was put into action, hundreds and maybe thousands of people could have been saved .... there were a LOT of buses on that lot ... what a waste. :mad:

Tom'sGirl said:
kgeaux, have you noticed how the towns that are taking in the evacuees are immediately getting the kids into schools? I think this is great!
I wonder if the kids think the same thing...:laugh:

<whinykid>Geeze - you'd think having your school and entire city destroyed would get you more than just a week off from school! And they're even acting like they're being nice by shoving us back in to a new school! :p </whinykid>

KrazyKollector said:
From what I've read so far, reading Drudge basically, she said it.
I have always been a fan of the plain spoken Momma Bush, but I think that this time, she caught a case of foot-in-mouth disease. I don't think she meant anything bad by it, but it just came out that way.
But, her DH is not President any longer so what she says doesn't hold a lot of "heavy" influence with me.
http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001054719

Quote 1 NEW YORK Accompanying her husband, former President George
H.W.Bush, on a tour of hurricane relief centers in
Houston, Barbara Bush said today, referring to the
poor who had lost everything back home and evacuated, "This is working very well for them."

Quote 2 In a segment at the top of the show on the surge of
evacuees to the Texas city, Barbara Bush said: "Almost
everyone I’ve talked to says we're going to move to
Houston."

Then she added: "What I’m hearing which is sort of
scary is they all want to stay in Texas. Everyone is
so overwhelmed by the hospitality.

"And so many of the people in the arena here, you
know, were underprivileged anyway, so this--this (she
chuckles slightly) is working very well for them."

more at link...

Members online