CT - Death penalty scrapped in Connecticut. Petit family killers will not be executed

gregjrichards

Reaction score
"It was a crime of epic cruelty, and the culprits were sentenced to pay the ultimate price.

But a decision by Connecticut's highest court means the two men who carried out the chilling Petit family murders will be spared execution, along with nine other death-row inmates.

Steven Hayes and Joshua Komisarjevsky now get life sentences for a 2007 home invasion robbery in which they raped and strangled Jennifer Petit, tied her daughters Hayley and Michaela to their beds, and set the home ablaze.

Petit's sister, Cynthia Hawke Renn, told NBC News that she is "disheartened" by the Connecticut Supreme Court's finding that a 2012 legislative repeal of the death penalty should also apply to those who committed their crimes earlier."

Death penalty has been scrapped in Connecticut. I'm very sorry the Peitit murderers will not be executed if any inmates deserved it it is those two.

gregjrichards
Your thought above. Yes, seems if anyone was approp'ly given death sentence, it was Petit family killers.
More info about other CT's DR inmates below.

"Capital punishment in Connecticut formerly existed as an available sanction for a criminal defendant upon conviction for the commission of a capital offense. Since the 1976 United States Supreme Court decision in Gregg v. Georgia until Connecticut repealed capital punishment in 2012, Connecticut executed one individual, although the law allows executions to proceed for those still on death row and convicted under the previous law, but, o. August 13, 2015, Connecticut Supreme Court found the death penalty unconstitutional especially holding death row inmates after capital punishment was banned in 2012...."
"Inmates sentenced to deathThere are currently eleven inmates sentenced to death in Connecticut, however, they will be spared execution due to the Connecticut Supreme Court ruling 4-3 vote." bbm

Spreadsheet at wiki link gives info about inmates, dob, age at times of crime, race, offense, location of offense, dates arrested & sentenced, yrs on DR, etc. No female inmates on DR, as of 2012.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_in_Connecticut

So depressing. If ever a death sentence was justifiable it was for these two monsters, at least especially Joshua Komisarjevski

Nooooo...

Cheshire Home Invasion Killer A Step Closer To New Trial

NEW HAVEN – In a decision that could help Cheshire home invasion killer Joshua Komisarjevsky get a new trial, a Superior Court judge ruled Tuesday that his defense lawyers did not receive recordings of three police calls from the morning of the 2007 slayings.

More at link...

http://www.courant.com/news/connect...rjevsky-new-trial-hearing-20160223-story.html

Steven Hayes' new look (sure hope this works....I've never copied an image before)

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/02/23/18/317A244B00000578-3459645-image-a-13_1456251846795.jpg

ETA sorry the image didn't come thru.....his photo is at the link

After you posted this, I read the article. Suffered, really?? Let this rapist murderer, who set his victims on fire, who destroyed this beautiful family starve to death...he has showed he has no problem with sin and God never mattered to him before!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3459645/Home-invasion-killers-bid-new-trial-judge.html

Striking new appearance of Connecticut horror home invasion killer - who now claims he's an Orthodox Jew

In 2014, Hayes filed a lawsuit against the Department of Correction alleging that the preparation and practices of kosher meals in the kitchen at the state's maximum-security prison did not conform to strict Jewish dietary laws.
Hayes stated in his complaint that he has suffered ‘almost two years of emotional injury from having to choose between following God and starving or choosing sin to survive.’

Steven Hayes' new look (sure hope this works....I've never copied an image before)

317A244B00000578-3459645-image-a-13_1456251846795.jpg

ETA sorry the image didn't come thru.....his photo is at the link

Just replace “URL” code with “img". :thumb:

image.jpg

Woohoo......it worked! Thanks Kaaboom!

I've had this IPad for years and have never posted a photo before!

(Sorry to make everyone look at his face again but I had to see if I could get it to work!)

Nooooo...

Cheshire Home Invasion Killer A Step Closer To New Trial

NEW HAVEN – In a decision that could help Cheshire home invasion killer Joshua Komisarjevsky get a new trial, a Superior Court judge ruled Tuesday that his defense lawyers did not receive recordings of three police calls from the morning of the 2007 slayings.

More at link...

http://www.courant.com/news/connect...rjevsky-new-trial-hearing-20160223-story.html

This is all so ridiculous. It would appear that defense's argument is that because police didn't manage to save the victims, it makes JK somehow less guilty? IT's a small town, police might not be as efficient as police in big cities, especially when it comes to hostage rescue. Defense seem to think that if criminal isn't stopped from bad behavior, the criminal is not guilty (or less guilty), because somebody is obligated to stop that criminal? Well, lethal injection would stop any potential criminal behavior for sure. CT should have never abolished the death penalty.

After you posted this, I read the article. Suffered, really?? Let this rapist murderer, who set his victims on fire, who destroyed this beautiful family starve to death...he has showed he has no problem with sin and God never mattered to him before!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3459645/Home-invasion-killers-bid-new-trial-judge.html

Striking new appearance of Connecticut horror home invasion killer - who now claims he's an Orthodox Jew

In 2014, Hayes filed a lawsuit against the Department of Correction alleging that the preparation and practices of kosher meals in the kitchen at the state's maximum-security prison did not conform to strict Jewish dietary laws.
Hayes stated in his complaint that he has suffered ‘almost two years of emotional injury from having to choose between following God and starving or choosing sin to survive.’
Well then let him starve to death!

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Well then let him starve to death!

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk
Here here!! What ever happened to bread and water? Prison is too accommodating.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

When you have committed brutal murders, sexual assault and robbery eating non kosher food is the least of your worries sin wise. It is infuriating he is claiming to be religious it is a con to get better quality food.

This loser has nothing to do all day but think about what complaints might get him a brief change of scenery. Shame the legislature did not include a sentence that left his death penalty intact.

"The Connecticut man who lost his wife and daughters in a brutal home invasion in 2007 said Wednesday it was 'sad' one of the killers had his death sentence revoked to comply with new state laws.

Dr. William Petit was tied up in the basement of his New Haven home during the July 23, 2007 attack. He could only listen as his wife was raped and murdered by Steven Hayes. Petit managed to flee to a neighbor's home as his daughters perished in the fire Hayes lit.

'It is a very sad day when a prolonged trial and decision and sentencing by a jury that took 4.5 months to seat is overturned by a legislature that ignores the wishes of the people of CT,' he said in a Tweet Wednesday."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ce-commuted-new-state-laws.html#ixzz4BiH6C3Gc

Im so mad finding out about this sentence.

But they will be sentence in he$$ for eternity.

Here here!! What ever happened to bread and water? Prison is too accommodating.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Bread and water is Kosher! There ya' go!

When you have committed brutal murders, sexual assault and robbery eating non kosher food is the least of your worries sin wise. It is infuriating he is claiming to be religious it is a con to get better quality food.
Exactly! Has noone told him that one of the 10 Commandments is: Thou shalt not murder???

This loser has nothing to do all day but think about what complaints might get him a brief change of scenery. Shame the legislature did not include a sentence that left his death penalty intact.

Exactly. And what I cant understand is how in the heck did the judges even think it should be retro active backwards. Because all common "Grandfather Clauses" work totally the opposite.

Think about when some companies change their Pension benefits to reduce benefits like what has happened all across the country. So many of them had Grandfather Clauses that allowed people prior to the new rules to keep their benefits the old way with better benefits. It is commonly called the Grandfather Clause.

So its not supposed to work the way the legislature imposed it. They are doing a REVERSE Grandfather Clause and enacting a NEW set of rules and then applying it to everyone backwards.

I could maybe seeing it done on a case by case basis and have each case weighed but there were some on death row that needed to be there like these animals. Grrrrrrr

Disheartening. But at least they don't get to be separate from other inmates who might be not too kind, and they won't get endless appeals.

I am not sure what I think of this.
I think they should live to suffer. I think they should live fearing death like the people they hurt.

Many years ago I was in a bad place and decided to connect with someone in a worse place, I picked someone on death row..
He described his days and what he could and couldn't do.

I honestly think "life" will be better for these guys.
Meaning, a whole lot worse.

Death Row, they will sit secluded and safe with fan mail from deranged women who wants to "help".
Prison, he wil be attacked so many times media willl stop reporting.about it.

JMO.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renenoelle