1313 users online (245 members and 1068 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16
    I did view the latest and newest movie on Lifetime the evening it premiered although, in so doing, I did not anticipate providing a critique. My disclaimer is that I do not tolerate CL all that well. It is my own fault that I hold her directly responsible for K. Cobain's suicide shot gun death. I don't like it when people get away with murder. With that in mind as my bias, a nudge was required to watch it but compassion for the boys, and they were boys when I met them, encouraged me.

The character who played Jose, Bonito Martinez, was fantastic! Cruel, cold and conniving just as we know he was in real life. He made the show worth watching. The plot fastened to the mistreatment by their abusive parents clearly demonstrating the crazy making behavior of the brothers.

It is sad to know the best years of a person's life are those years not meant to be experienced behind bars. No traditional marriages. No children. No grandchildren. I have a theory. The Jose Menendez seed needed to be stopped from spreading.

Chess is a slow game. Can you imagine playing it via snail mail?
    Last edited by DeDee; 07-13-2017 at 01:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeDee View Post
    I did view the latest and newest movie on Lifetime the evening it premiered although, in so doing, I did not anticipate providing a critique. My disclaimer is that I do not tolerate CL all that well. It is my own fault that I hold her directly responsible for K. Cobain's suicide shot gun death. I don't like it when people get away with murder. With that in mind as my bias, a nudge was required to watch it but compassion for the boys, and they were boys when I met them, encouraged me.

The character who played Jose, Bonito Martinez, was fantastic! Cruel, cold and conniving just as we know he was in real life. He made the show worth watching. The plot fastened to the mistreatment by their abusive parents clearly demonstrating the crazy making behavior of the brothers.

It is sad to know the best years of a person's life are those years not meant to be experienced behind bars. No traditional marriages. No children. No grandchildren. I have a theory. The Jose Menendez seed needed to be stopped from spreading.

Chess is a slow game. Can you imagine playing it via snail mail?
    I'm not crazy about Courtney Love either, but she did an okay acting job. The actor who played Jose was very believable (I have to say that Edward James Olmos was terrifying as Jose in "Menendez: A Killing In Beverly Hills" in 1994) and yes, it does show how a person's upbringing can have a huge impact on how it shapes their behavior and psyche.

Yes, it would be very slow playing chess via mail, but of course, that's the only way they can communicate with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Noirdame79 View Post
    I'm not crazy about Courtney Love either, but she did an okay acting job. The actor who played Jose was very believable (I have to say that Edward James Olmos was terrifying as Jose in "Menendez: A Killing In Beverly Hills" in 1994) and yes, it does show how a person's upbringing can have a huge impact on how it shapes their behavior and psyche.

Yes, it would be very slow playing chess via mail, but of course, that's the only way they can communicate with each other.
    I'm watching it now, Benito Martinez is excellent in the role of Jose. Cold and cruel, if he was really that way in real life, and if events were as depicted, how horrific. I shudder to think of those boys growing up with him as a father. And, if so, it's not hard to understand how they did what they did. Not to mention their pathetic excuse for a mother. It's really heartbreaking. And a little difficult to watch especially knowing the horror they went through their entire lives, then ending up spending the rest in prison. It doesn't seem right. Whatever happened to justice?

As difficult as it is to watch, at least having recorded it on DVD I can fast forward through the 5 minute long Marie Osmond Nutrisystem commercials. Gawd, I'm sick of that... person.

One of the trailers for the Law & Order series focusing on the Menendez brothers. From what I have read, it will be from the point of view of the defense, an interesting and refreshing change in my opinion. Dick Wolf, the series' creator, has stated that he doesn't believe that Lyle and Erik Menendez should have been convicted of first-degree murder.

Another trailer:

Dick Wolf Says Menendez Brothers Should Have Gotten Lighter Sentences

Joe Otterson

Dick Wolf, executive producer of the upcoming NBC series “Law & Order True Crime: The Menendez Murders,” says the real-life brothers at the center of the series should not have been convicted of first degree murder for the deaths of their parents.

“We’ve made some great shows ripped from the headlines. This is on a different level,” Wolf said Thursday at the TCAC summer press tour. “It’s also the only time we’ve had sort of a collective agenda, which is—this is one of the crimes of the century. It’s absolutely horrible, but when you see the information, I think people are going to realize, ‘Well, yeah they did it, but it wasn’t first degree murder with no possibility of parole.’ They probably should have been out eight or ten years ago because they probably should have been convicted of first degree manslaughter.”

Series showrunner Rene Balcer echoed Wolf’s sentiments, saying that the series will explore in detail previously unknown aspects of the case.

“The other part of the story that is probably not well known is the degree of implicit political collusion between the judge and the district attorney’s office in the second trial to ensure a conviction,” Balcer said. He went on to say that the DA’s office at the time was reeling from high-profile losses in the OJ Simpson and Rodney King trials and therefore desperately needed a win with the Menendez murders.

The first installment of the new true crime anthology series will consist of eight hourlong episodes focusing on the case of Lyle and Erik Menendez, brothers who were convicted of murdering their parents and sentenced to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole in 1996. The brothers, who were 21 and 18 years old, respectively, at the time of the murders, were tried separately but eventually convicted in a third trial after no verdicts were rendered in the first two trials because of hung juries.

Wolf will executive produce through his Wolf Entertainment banner in association with Universal Television. Lesli Linka Glatter will executive produce and direct. Peter Jankowski and Arthur W. Forney will also executive produce along with Balcer. As Variety exclusively reported, Edie Falco will star as attorney Leslie Abramson.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/dick...rs-1202514905/

Law & Order True Crime: The Menendez Murders Aims to Change Your Attitude Towards the Infamous Killers

NBC's upcoming anthology series Law & Order True Crime: The Menendez Murders isn't pretending to be an objective view of the infamous murder case. Rather, creator Dick Wolf hopes to use this platform to help reverse the tendency to demonize the two killers, Lyle and Erik Menendez (played by Miles Gaston Vilanueva and Gus Halper in the series), as simply greedy, privileged kids who killed their parents for money.
    "I don't care what attitude you go in with, your mind is going to receive information that I think will change a lot of peoples' attitudes," Wolf told reporters at the Television Critics Association's summer press tour Thursday. "This is one of the crimes of the century. It's absolutely horrible, but when you see the information, I think people are going to realize, well, they did it, but it wasn't first-degree murder with no possibility of parole. They probably should have been out eight or 10 years ago because they should have been convicted of first-degree manslaughter, which is a different punishment than first-degree murder. So yes, this is a show that has an agenda too."

After Lyle and Erik Menendez murdered their parents, Jose and Kitty, in 1989, the case immediately began dominating the news cycle -- a trend that lasted until both brothers were convicted in 1996. But while many headlines claimed Lyle and Erik committed the brutal crime out of greed, the brothers alleged that they had shot their parents in order to end the years of abuse they suffered."The defense argued that the boys had an unreasonable, but sincere belief that their lives were in eminent danger from their parents because the secret was about to come out that the father had been molesting them," showrunner Rene Balcer said. "And so under that theory of imperfect self-defense, anything from a second-degree conviction to first degree manslaughter is allowed. But this was 25 years ago. What we understood of molestation, especially of boys, is primitive compared to what we understand now... that's still an area of psychology that we don't quite understand fully. But certainly, as we said before, if instead of Erik it had been Erica Menendez who killed his parents to stop the abuse, he wouldn't be in jail."
    The series will also explore how privilege and political collusion between the judge and the district attorney's office in the second trial directly may have lead to the brothers' conviction. "The D.A.'s office had lost the McMartin case, which also had the same judge as the Mendendez case. They had lost the Rodney King case with the four cops. Again, the same judge on that case was the same on the Menendez case. And [Los Angeles district attorney Gil] Garcetti had lost the O.J. case," Balcer explained. "And so the D.A.'s office had a pretty huge chip on their shoulder and was definitely looking for a conviction by any means."

Law & Order True Crime: The Menendez Murders premieres Tuesday, Sept. 26 at 10/9c on NBC.

http://www.tvguide.com/news/law-orde...ers-dick-wolf/

What To Expect From 'The Menendez Murders,' Your Next True-Crime TV Fix

Longtime "Law & Order" producer René Balcer explains why the Menendez Brothers' case is just as captivating as the O.J. trial.

When “ripped from the headlines” isn’t enough, “Law & Order True Crime” is born.

The newest addition to creator Dick Wolf’s decades-old franchise will air on NBC this fall, the latest in a spate of TV specials aimed at revisiting famous criminal cases from America’s past. There was “The People v. O.J. Simpson,” there was “Casting JonBenet,” and now there’s “The Menendez Murders,” a miniseries that revolves around Lyle and Erik Menendez, the brothers convicted of killing their parents in a televised trial that dominated headlines in the mid-1990s.

“Law & Order” has always offered fans of its past and present series (“Special Victims Unit,” “Criminal Intent,” “Trial by Jury, “LA”) a dose of police procedurals and legal drama inspired by real-life events. In fact, in 1991, the original “Law & Order” aired an episode called “Serpent’s Tooth,” in which two brothers were suspected of killing their businessman father and mother. This was just under two years after Lyle and Erik made their infamous phone call: “Someone killed my parents!” Lyle screamed at a 911 operator on Aug. 20, 1989.

Longtime “Law & Order” producer René Balcer helped bring “Serpent’s Tooth” to life. This was before the yearslong Menendez Brothers case reached its media fever pitch ― before the foibles of a misconducted investigation into the assassination of a Hollywood executive and his wife came to light, and before the spectacle of their trial hit TV screens.

In “Serpent’s Tooth,” Russian mobsters were behind the deaths; the two sons were wrongly suspected. In reality, self-made millionaires José and Kitty Menendez were indeed brutally murdered by their well-to-do young sons (then 21 and 18, respectively, and now serving a life sentence without parole), who’d allegedly endured heinous abuse at the hands of their father. Their case was drawn out and misconstrued, involving high-profile lawyers, judges and bombastic witnesses. It’s a story so wild, and yet so true (you can read a thrilling rundown of the events on Rolling Stone), that Balcer decided to resurrect the tale when Wolf greenlit his “True Crime” spinoff last year.

Ahead of the show’s premiere on Sept. 26, we spoke to showrunner Balcer, who’ll be attending PaleyFest in Los Angeles in support of the new show next month:

What drew “Law & Order True Crime” to the Menendez Brothers case?

Well, back in the original recipe of “Law & Order,” the first episode I ever wrote was about the Menendez Brothers back in 1990. They had been arrested then, but we didn’t know ― it was still very early in the case ― about the abuse. We knew about the psychological abuse, but not so much about the sexual abuse, when I wrote the script. Our take on [the adapted plot] was that the Russian mob killed José and Kitty Menendez, or whatever their names were in the episode. We took that tact and it made for a pretty interesting episode. But at that time we weren’t pretending to be true crime. We were just inspired by headlines.

For me, [“Law & Order True Crime”] was a chance to revisit that story. What drew us to it was, in the 1990s, there were two famous trials: one was O.J. [Simpson] and the other was the Menendez Brothers. They hit people in different ways. With the Menendez case [...] for parents, it was like, we do everything for our kids, and this is the thanks we get? Is this why we pursue the American dream, so our kids can kill us? It was a very rich story, and that’s what drew Dick [Wolf] and I toward it.

You mentioned the complicated abuse allegations that surfaced during the trial. [The Menendez’ defense team claimed that José Menendez had both physically abused and molested his two sons, and that Kitty Menendez was aware of the abuse.] How did these allegations affect how the case was perceived at the time?

At that time, people sort of understood sexual abuse of children or girls, but the sexual abuse of boys, especially by their fathers, was not understood. We were still in a macho society as far as men were concerned, as far as the state of their emotional and psychological development at that point in history. So there was a lot of resistance to the idea that boys, especially teenage boys, could be molested by their father ― that they would submit. Why wouldn’t they just fight back and run away? There was not a great understanding of the mentality of abuse victims at that time. Now, hopefully, there is a better understanding.

What other factors complicated the case and the way it was presented in the media?

Another force that was at play was that in Los Angeles, the DA and Superior Court justices are elected. They run either every four years or every six years, so they are very attuned to the political whims of the electorate. Here you had a judge who had presided over a hung jury in the McMartin [preschool] case, and an acquittal in the Rodney King case, which led to the riots, and who, in the first Menendez trial, had presided over another hung jury. He was kind of held to task, especially for the Rodney King case. [...]

And the DA’s office under [Ira] Reiner, they had lost the McMartin case, they had lost the Rodney King case, and under [Gil] Garcetti, they had just lost the O.J. case. They had a big chip on their shoulder. On appeal, after the conviction of the boys, one of the appellate judges speculated that there might’ve been collusion between the DA’s office and the judge. That was never proven, but you have two political figures looking for reelection and trying to please the voters and give them what they wanted. So there was certainly a meeting of the minds. That’s a part of the case that’s not always well known.

“Law & Order” typically tells a story from the point of view of the police and prosecution. Will the show dive into some of the nuances of this speculated misconduct?

Well, in the original “Law & Order” recipe there was always an awareness of the abuse of prosecutorial powers. Even Jack McCoy got [punished] for overreaching. In “Law & Order” we also dealt with the issue of police malfeasance; maybe not necessarily planting evidence, but shading the truth, etc., etc. That is not foreign territory for us.

When I was retreading the aspects of the actual Menendez Brothers trial, I was struck by more than a few stranger-than-fiction aspects of the case. For example, before the murders, Erik allegedly co-wrote a screenplay about a son who kills his wealthy parents.

Well, the screenplay, when you actually read it, it’s like a gothic horror thing. It’s not what it was cracked up to be. It’s more in the Vincent Price kind of vein. It’s about a kid who you find out at the end of the script that, yes, he had his parents killed, but his whole thing is that he was into games of turning his friends into prey and all this kind of stuff. It was really kind of gothic horror, and in no way, shape or form a blueprint. He co-wrote it with someone else, so if it expressed anything, it was just a teenager’s fantasy about getting rid of authority figures and being a master of his own destiny. What was telling in the script was some eulogy that was given by the hero about his dead father, and some of that came straight out of Erik’s feelings toward his father, that alternately he was a great man, but also a monster.

Were there other stranger-than-fiction aspects of the case that caught your attention?

I think Erik’s psychologist, Dr. Jerry Oziel, and his mistress, played by Josh Charles and Heather Graham ― they are kind of the French farce aspect that impacted the resolution of the case. Basically, the Beverly Hills police had been spinning their wheels for seven months getting no real leads, no evidence, until the psychologist’s mistress spilled the beans to them, because she got in a spat with her lover. She went to the police and said, “Well, Erik confessed to Dr. Oziel.” And that was their big break. Even then ― even being given some pretty good information by this woman ― they were still unable to come up with any real evidence. They were unable to find the murder weapon, the clothes that were used, they found zero forensic evidence linking the boys to the crime. It was really because of this relationship between the psychologist and this woman that the case got broken. That’s a little bizarre!

Tell me a little bit about Edie Falco’s character. Was she your first pick to play the defense attorney, Leslie Abramson?

I think so. We may have made a wish list of the top five people, but she was at the top of the list, because she fits Leslie Abramson like a hand in glove. Leslie Abramson came from Queens, she kind of grew up on the streets, she’s got a quick mouth, she’s very feisty. Edie has those genetic traits, too. She’s obviously not as abrasive, but she can channel this character pretty easily, in terms of the Queens roots and the New York style of interpersonal relationships ― especially with judges and other lawyers. I had worked with Edie before; she did a number of episodes for us. She was just a natural for this.

Edie Falco has already discussed in interviews how unpopular her character was for defending the brothers. Does the show explore how issues of sexism or media narratives affected the way she was perceived at the time?

Absolutely. The team that represented the Menendez Brothers was Leslie Abramson, Jill Lansing, Marcia Morrissey ― there was the dream team for O.J., this was the female version of the dream team. Very competent counsel. And with Leslie Abramson, people say she was unpopular, but among the community of defense attorneys, she was very well respected. Feared might be overstating it, but prosecutors were intimidated by her. She was a fierce defender of her client’s constitutional rights and, of course, prosecutors never like that. To the press, she gave a lot of access, but when they overstepped, she gave back as good as she got. Those who have a negative view of her may change after watching this show, because she really defines what a defense attorney is. If I were ever accused of anything, I’d want her on my side.

“Law & Order” is already famous for its “ripped from the headlines” episode plots, but Dick Wolf told the Television Critics Association that “Law & Order True Crime” “is on a different level.” What sets “True Crime” apart from the rest of the franchise, beyond the clear departure from norms ― this being an anthology series?

First of all, the point of view is completely different. Also, it’s kind of a drama procedural ― there’s a procedural aspect, obviously ― but there are also other aspects that are pure character. It expands the definition of what a procedural might be. We go home with characters. The show is really about different kinds of families ― dysfunctional families ― and ultimately, what is being a parent all about? We have two very dysfunctional parents who were killed by their sons. The parallel story for Leslie Abramson is that at the time of the trial, she and her husband were in the process of adopting a child, and doing so with great trepidation, not only because of their age ― they were in their late 40s ― but because of certainly Leslie’s own upbringing. She was wondering if she would be a good mother. She was dealing with her own issues related to parenthood. So that helps drive her story. The story of the brothers: It’s really a relationship borne of trauma and very challenging circumstances, and how those two brothers stay together. And then you have this French farce aspect between the psychologist and his mistress. So it’s a very different kind of stew.

Did writers or producers explore other true crime stories before landing on this one?

This was the first one, because we knew the story and it just seemed a natural for any number of reasons to start off with.

Dick Wolf has already mentioned that he’d like to continue making “Law & Order True Crime,” citing a few of his favorite real-life criminals [including Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh, “Son of Sam” killer David Berkowitz and “Night Stalker” serial killer Richard Ramirez]. Are there any historic crimes you’d personally like to readdress if the series continues?

Well, just before we went on for the [Television Critics Association], I pitched Dick the Timothy McVeigh story and his eyes obviously lit up. There are many different cases ― Dick mentioned a few ― and all that will parsed out between Dick and the network.

As someone who’s been in the business of bringing crime stories to entertainment for more than a few years, what do you make of pop culture’s current obsession with true crime and revisiting trials past ― like O.J. Simpson and JonBenet Ramsey?

There’s always been a sub genre of drama and true crime that, without giving it the full bells-and-whistles treatment, was always partly documentary, partly reenactment. The public has always been fascinated by crime. One of the most famous stories in the world ― the very first crime story ― was Cain and Abel, a murder mystery. So people have always been interested in this. It’s a lens through which we can look at society, at our bad selves and our good selves. What’s different in the last couple years is we are now giving it pretty A-list treatment. MOWs [made-for-TV movies] and miniseries in the past did this ― the Jeffrey MacDonald story and any number of them through the ’70s and ’80s. Everything’s cyclical, right?

PaleyFest Fall TV Previews will take place Sept. 6-16 in Los Angeles. The “Law & Order True Crime” panel is scheduled for Sept. 11. The show will premiere on NBC on Sept. 26 at 10 p.m. ET.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/l...b09071f69a940a

Law & Order True Crime' Aims to Show New Side to Famed Menendez Case

Next to the O.J. Simpson "trial of the century," the Menendez case was arguably one of the highest-profile crimes of the '90s.

Like Simpson, the Menendez brothers quickly became media mainstays following their parents' brutal deaths, with their pictures splashed across countless newspapers and magazines in addition to their continued presence on the then-young cable network Court TV.

Despite the wall-to-wall media coverage, the team behind NBC's forthcoming Law & Order True Crime: The Menendez Murders contends there's another side to the Menendez brothers that the public never saw — one that the first season of the anthology drama hopes to bring to light.

"I thought I knew the story of the Menendez brothers," star Edie Falco, who plays the Menendez brothers' equally famous defense attorney, Leslie Abramson, says in The Hollywood Reporter's exclusive video. "The further into it I looked, I realized there was so much I didn't know."

In addition to showing some of the first glimpses at the eight-episode drama's sprawling cast, including The Good Wife's Josh Charles, Parenthood's Sam Jaeger and Switched at Birth's Constance Marie, the extended promo shows the flashbacks to the Menendez brothers' "disaster" of a home life with their allegedly abusive father.

"You watch the news, you're fed certain facts and you realize there's a great deal that was going on that the public didn't know about, and we're trying to shed some light on those things," Falco says. "There will be plenty of those twists and turns that knock the whole storytelling piece of it on its butt."

Executive producer Dick Wolf has made his personal feelings about the case known, including his belief that the brothers were sentenced too harshly. "When you see the information, I think people are going to realize, 'Yeah, they did it,' but it wasn't first-degree murder without possibility of parole," he told reporters at the TCA summer press tour.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...source=twitter

Why I Stayed Stories Reveal Why Domestic Violence Survivors Can't 'Just Leave'

"But why would you stay if someone was abusing you?"

That's a distressingly common response to revelations of domestic violence. After a video was released yesterday showing former Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice assaulting his then-fiancée (now wife), Janay Palmer, and dragging her unconscious body from a hotel elevator, media pundits and online speculators have questioned why Palmer -- or any victim -- would remain with someone who abused them. The subtext: someone who stays isn't really being abused. Or equally troubling, such reactions imply that a woman can ensure her safety by simply leaving a violent partner.

An estimated one in four women and one in seven men will experience domestic violence in their lifetimes -- and most instances of intimate partner violence are never reported. On average, a victim leaves their abuser seven times before staying away for good.

So, when author Beverly Gooden saw people questioning the experiences of Janay Palmer and other survivors of domestic abuse, she stepped in to explain why "just leaving" isn't that easy.

"When I saw those tweets, my first reaction was shame," Gooden told Mic. "The same shame that I felt back when I was in a violent marriage. It's a sort of guilt that would make me crawl into a shell and remain silent. But today, for a reason I can't explain, I'd had enough. I knew I had an answer to everyone's question of why victims of violence stay. I can't speak for Janay Rice, I can only speak for me."

The author started sharing her own experiences in an abusive relationship through tweets, using the hashtag #WhyIStayed.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/w...ence_n_5790320

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16