Experiment about social media dangers

An interesting experiment, and depressing to see the results.

I have to say, I don't see what good it does to not show the kids' faces when they do show their parents' faces and the rather unique brickwork on the 12-year-old's home.

Also, am I the only one appalled by how the parents spoke to their daughters?

An interesting experiment, and depressing to see the results.

I have to say, I don't see what good it does to not show the kids' faces when they do show their parents' faces and the rather unique brickwork on the 12-year-old's home.

Also, am I the only one appalled by how the parents spoke to their daughters?

No, you're not the only one appalled. It bothered me a great deal.

The first two girls, the fathers were loud and stern, but the fathers were scared to death. The first father kisses the daughter on the head and says we have to talk. The second father (lost his wife - daughters mother) hugs here and tells her he loves her and he would be destroyed to lose her.

The last one, the parents really scared her and didn't show as much affection as the first. I would give them the benefit of doubt because IMO that girl really was a higher risk than the other two. The first girl might have felt there were other people nearby in the park, the second one probably thought of something when wrong, her dad would hear. The last girl went into a VAN parked on the street!

They set up their children and then went off on them when they failed. IMO that's not good parenting. You know your kid is going to get in a van with a stranger so you put on a mask and scare the ever-loving hell out of her? Then reveal it's only you but yell at her? How about sit her down and say you know what's going on and we need to have a serious talk about the internet and personal safety? I haven't see calm, rational, loving, and stern parenting go viral though. It's not flashy. It doesn't make for exciting youtube clips.

My 14yo daughter and I watched this video last night and had a long discussion about it. We talked about the different scenarios presented (park, home and van), the parents' reactions and the girls' reactions. We talked about online identities and who to friend, alleged connections to shared friends, etc.

I hope she listened. I hope it registered. Kids are so good at magical thinking.

This reminded me of when I was attacked by a predator who lured me through Facebook when I was 16. He was the same age as me and had a mutual friend with me, but I learned the hard way that he was no less dangerous than any other pervert. I really wish he would disappear from the face of the earth.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JR Rainwater
Back