1213 users online (259 members and 954 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21
    Jury begins deliberations in Sandeson murder trial

The Halifax jury in the William Sandeson murder trial has begun its deliberations after the judge in the case spent 3Ĺ hours Thursday reviewing evidence from the two-month-long trial and instructing members on the law.

Jurors can find Sandeson guilty of first-degree murder, second-degree murder or manslaughter. They can also find him not guilty.
    What the jury in William Sandesonís murder trial didnít hear

Bruce Webb worked at Martin Investigations Inc., a private investigative firm in Nova Scotia which is operated by former Halifax Regional Police detective Tom Martin.

Martin Investigations was hired by law firm Walker, Dunlop and Tan Ė Sandesonís defence team. A number of investigators were assigned to various tasks to assist defence lawyers, including Webb.

However, the court would find out that while Webb was hired by the defence Ė he actually helped police in making their case against Sandeson.
    The jury also didnít hear that while the Crown was still presenting their case, the defence asked for a mistrial.

The defence argued for a mistrial on three grounds: there was late disclosure by the Crown, an alleged breach of confidentially by Bruce Webb and William Sandesonís right to a fair trial.

William Sandeson jury unable to reach verdict after 2 days, deliberations continue

In total, the jury has spent 11 hours considering evidence presented in court and whether or not they believe William Sandeson killed Taylor Samson. So far, they have been unable to reach a verdict.

The jury will resume deliberations Saturday at 9:15 a.m. at Nova Scotia Supreme Court.
    Timeline: What happened before and after Taylor Samson went missing

The 6 stories William Sandeson told after Taylor Samson disappeared

So I had to research when would Sandeson have taken the body to Truro, it appears from cellphone records he drove out of Halifax after his girlfriend came back at midnight. I'd think that was quite incriminating. I guess as a witness for the defence she'd say he never left the apartment that night? No one seems to have asked her about that. The reporting on this story seems kind of confusing compared with other cases I've followed.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Satchie View Post
    So I had to research when would Sandeson have taken the body to Truro, it appears from cellphone records he drove out of Halifax after his girlfriend came back at midnight. I'd think that was quite incriminating. I guess as a witness for the defence she'd say he never left the apartment that night? No one seems to have asked her about that. The reporting on this story seems kind of confusing compared with other cases I've followed.

I was reading through the (tweet) coverage of her testimony. She testified that she fell asleep almost immediately after coming back, which would have been after 12:30. I'm surprised she wasn't asked about Sandeson leaving but I guess she couldn't know for sure.

Sandeson sent that phony text to Samson's phone after 2:00 AM so he was still awake.

William Sandeson found guilty of 1st-degree murder

The jury, which deliberated for about 22 hours, returned its verdict at noon on Sunday.

Sandeson appeared impassive as the verdict was read in court.

First-degree murder carries an automatic life sentence without eligibility for parole for 25 years.

Formal sentencing is scheduled for Tuesday, July 11, at 9:30 a.m.
    Last edited by JusticeWillBeServed; 06-18-2017 at 11:40 AM.

Good news! The case against him was very strong, mainly through his own carelessness with his video surveillance and involving his neighbours. I guess a typical case of being cocky and imagining he was smarter than police.

I wonder how he'd racked up the debt, he didn't seem to be able to explain it to his parents as reasonable costs associated with medical school (for eg I think he'd gone to an expensive school in the Carribean for a year). Had he been ripped off a batch of drugs by someone and was determined to get the money back?

It's all so stupid, if he'd qualified as a doctor $80k would be peanuts, now he's ruined multiple people's lives, as well as his own, certainly wouldn't have wanted a sociopath like that working in the medical system. But I'll also express my opinion, that getting involved in an illegal activity, no matter how profitable, is a very risky thing to do, you can't trust the people you're 'dealing' with.

ĎAs cold as they comeí: William Sandeson sentenced to life in prison for murdering Taylor Samson

A first-degree murder conviction comes with an automatic life sentence with no parole eligibility for 25 years.

On Tuesday, Judge Josh Arnold officially sentenced Sandeson ó but not before the court heard from some of Samsonís loved ones.
    Wilson said he felt it was important to read his victim impact statement in court and tried to make eye contact with Sandeson as he described how his friendís death has impacted his life.

ďHe deserves to know what he did. Not only to Taylor but to people around him. He took away a lot. It wasnít just one life. He took away dozens,Ē Wilson said outside court. ďIíve made eye contact as much as possible and Iíve never seen as much as a smirk or a smile. Heís as cold as they come.
    'Where's Taylor, Will?' mother asks after killer William Sandeson's sentencing

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21