1121 users online (222 members and 899 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 72 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast
    David Dadic ‏@DavidDadic 5 hours ago tweet

Spose if Oscar brings an urgent application to get out today, we may find out sooner than the appeal whether he's taken new legal counsel
    Intriguing......

Today's CNN- sounds like he's fairly comfortable in there!! So he can weather circa 4 more months...........

"Like all inmates in South Africa's prison system, Pistorius was able to air his complaints to members of an independent inspection arm of correctional services, giving a fascinating insight into his life behind bars.
    Two of those officers, Violet Ngobeni and Boitumelo Morake, met with Pistorius multiple times.

"When he arrived he was angry," said Ngobeni outside Kgosi Mampuru II prison. "The first time I went to see him he was like 'I don't want to talk to anyone.'

hey say he initially struggled to adapt to prison life, where he had to spend 23 hours a day in his cell. But they say he's since changed dramatically.

"Now he can sit down and discuss and laugh at the same time," Ngobeni said.

During their time with Pistorius, he shared his complaints.

"He complained that he wanted a bath. They [correctional services) built a bath in his cell. He also had a complaint about his bed. And they replaced his bed for him," says Murasiet Mentoor, the regional manager of the Judicial Inspectorate, who reviews hundreds of written prisoner complaints.

Mentoor says Pistorius complained about his gym equipment, so they changed that, too.

Mentoor said prison officials offered to let Pistorius cook the raw produce, but he preferred to only buy processed food from the prison store.
    Ngobeni and Morake say they last visited Pistorius a few days ago, when he thought he was about to be released into corrective supervision at his uncle's house in an affluent Pretoria suburb.

Ngobeni said: "He just talked about "I miss my family, I need to spend more time with my family, just to go out and see my friends."
    BIB - maybe just a slip of the tongue?

ETA Haven't actually watched this video - pasted in error.
    Last edited by cottonweaver; 08-20-2015 at 07:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cottonweaver View Post
    Sorry Bystander, are you saying that you guess he will be released fairly quickly ie. pre Appeal?
    Yep. I hope not but I think his family seems to manage to get their way whatever and I think Roux will bring pressure to bear BUT I could be completely wrong and I hope I am. Just a feeling I have.

As we already know, four months is the maximum gap between Parole Board Meetings which should make the next one, at the latest, October 2015. Still before the Appeal. If he is released at that time it will be very difficult to get him back inside should the appeal go against him. If this appeal does go against him I think he will be allowed to appeal the new sentence (Constitutional Court??) whilst still under house arrest but I guess then he would technically be back on bail. Maybe the bail conditions would be different from the house arrest conditions?? IMO this could go on for years.

@ Interested Bystander

"IMO this could go on for years."
    I agree.
    That'll be further hell for RS's family, in terms of trying to move on/grieve.

Quote Originally Posted by Interested Bystander View Post
    I think the problem is that there is a new guy at the helm and he is making a name for himself. I don't really think that the prison would have knowingly made this mistake. If the board meeting was June and, possibly, if they meet four monthly, the next one would have been after his 10 month sentence expires, ie next meeting due in October. I expect this routine has been in place for a very long time.
    I thought the parole board at the prison met much more often than that. It's interesting that OP didn't apply for house arrest but was referred to the parole board I assume by someone who thought he should be released. This totally backfired if so.

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeJudi View Post
    "Culpable homicide" has been defined (in South African law) simply as "the unlawful negligent killing of a human being".

Clearly OP can be correctly described as a killer and this will remain until the SCA reaches their decision in the appeal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culpable_homicide

Culpable homicide, like murderI is a form of unlawful killing. The crucial difference, however, is that if a person kills intentionally it is murder, whereas if he or she kills negligently it is culpable homicide.

http://www.legalcity.net/Index.cfm?f...icleID=4191473

Should the SCA find him guilty of either DD or DE he can then correctly be described as a murderer.

On a different note:

OP’s family has repeatedly denied he gets preferential treatment in prison. If that’s the case I’d really like to know which other inmates have had the benefit of the following entitlements:

“He complained that he wanted a bath. Correctional Services built a bath in his cell”.

He complained about his bed so Correctional Services “replaced his bed”.

He complained about his gym equipment “so they changed that too”.

“He has his own cell and separate toilet … away from the general prison population”.

The above comments were from Murasiet Mentoor, the regional manager of the Judicial Inspectorate who reviews written prisoners’ complaints.

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/worl...-prison-q06632

And the family:

Aimee dismissed reports that prison regulations were flouted and that her brother was receiving preferential treatment.

The Sunday Times also reported that prison officials drove both Aimee and Carl's cars into the prison grounds without searching them.

Aimee "didn't comment on claims that her car was driven into the facility by a prison official and not searched".

http://www.enca.com/south-africa/bir...s-sister-aimee
    In fairness to Aimee, based on her and both of her brothers' comments and general behavior, she probably thinks every prisoner would get a requested bath, different bed, better gym equipment and private toilet.

:sarcasm:
    "I'm sorry; if you were right, I would agree with you." - Robin Williams as Dr. Sayer in "Awakenings."

Quote Originally Posted by GR_Turner View Post
    I thought the parole board at the prison met much more often than that. It's interesting that OP didn't apply for house arrest but was referred to the parole board I assume by someone who thought he should be released. This totally backfired if so.
    I think you are right that meetings may be more frequent. Four months is the maximum. I really don't expect to see OP inside for much longer. I think he did meet the requirements for parole and I do think this is political interference from a guy who is new on the block and want's to make sure he is noticed. Smacks a little to me of him being a jobsworth. Regardless of my opinion of OP's guilt, I think this type of behaviour on the part of "the state" is a great pity.

Quote Originally Posted by kittychi View Post
    In fairness to Aimee, based on her and both of her brothers' comments and general behavior, she probably thinks every prisoner would get a requested bath, different bed, better gym equipment and private toilet.

:sarcasm:

I think you are right that meetings may be more frequent. Four months is the maximum. I really don't expect to see OP inside for much longer. I think he did meet the requirements for parole and I do think this is political interference from a guy who is new on the block and want's to make sure he is noticed. Smacks a little to me of him being a jobsworth. Regardless of my opinion of OP's guilt, I think this type of behaviour on the part of "the state" is a great pity.
    I agree. And it sets a bad precedent if pressure groups feel that they can influence decisions in this way.

I agree. And it sets a bad precedent if pressure groups feel that they can influence decisions in this way.
    I really don't think the release is due to that women's group - following the train of all the posts on this since yesterday afternoon.

The women's group may claim this as a victory. Indeed they have already.
    Pistorians will claim this a a "further" outrageous injustice. Ditto - many of them are saying just that already.
    If this is "dodgy" the Minister used them, used their petition as a cover to say why he had just looked into it . In which case the political interference from much higher levels - they don't really care about some fringe women's group. IMO

Or if plain and simple incompetence in June, the womens' group make a handy fig-leaf, looks good, looks responsive.
    Either way whole thing backfires anyway probably. International press think this is more buffoonery/undue influence from State.
    Last edited by cottonweaver; 08-20-2015 at 09:57 AM.

Women's Month in SA

In response to ANC statement " Today we will celebrate the women who have served thsi nation for so many years. "

Rebecca Davis says: ( she wrote some thoughtful OP articles.)
    "Please can everyone stop "celebrating" women & instead just employ them, pay them equally, & not rape & kill them? "

https://twitter.com/becsplanb

I am not too sure whether it was anything to do with the pressure group other than to bring the release to the Minister's notice.

I love to read all of the contorted legal argument about this case and I admire the state for having a go at the appeal but it really only depends on one thing, that Masipa believed his story was possible, that he was scared and careless and that he did act under those circumstances. Matters of fact not law.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/wom...d-remorse.html
    Only Oscar Pistorius can give Reeva's grieving family what they need most

“The news that Oscar Pistorius won't be released from jail this week, after just 10 months, has been met with widespread approval. But, argues Claire Cohen, no sentence - however long or short - can make up for a lack of contrition.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/wom...d-remorse.html
    Only Oscar Pistorius can give Reeva's grieving family what they need most

“The news that Oscar Pistorius won't be released from jail this week, after just 10 months, has been met with widespread approval. But, argues Claire Cohen, no sentence - however long or short - can make up for a lack of contrition.”
    This sort of argument makes me think about how prisoners who won't admit their guilt are often deemed to not have shown remorse and are denied parole as a result, often leaving them with much longer sentences than those who admit their guilt. In some cases it is shown later that they wouldn't admit guilt because they weren't guilty.

I'm afraid the article above comes from the same position - my guess is that the idea of remorse she refers to is an admission of guilt and nothing less. It's hard to seem remorseful and have your words taken seriously while denying that you did as you are accused.

Page 3 of 72 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast