1164 users online (221 members and 943 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lowered flags?

I've only seen a handful of flags lowered. Why is that? They're saying there could be about 10,000-12,000 people dead.

Half-Mast For Rehnquist not Katrina.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP)
    I've only seen a handful of flags lowered. Why is that? They're saying there could be about 10,000-12,000 people dead.
    The flags were lowered for Rehnquist not Katrina. He was buried yesterday so not sure how long the "half-mast" was for. A lot of people didn't do it - it was lost in the Katrina coverage.

It's my opinion only - and I like it. Yours may be different
    and I may not like it, but we can just agree to disagree and move on.
    Stop Habitat Destruction - Do We Really Need To Pave Paradise?
    ~Peace~

less0305 is offline The face is familiar, but I can't quite remember my name!
    Quote Originally Posted by cynder
    The flags were lowered for Rehnquist not Katrina. He was buried yesterday so not sure how long the "half-mast" was for. A lot of people didn't do it - it was lost in the Katrina coverage.
    there's a Presidential resolution that came out first for Katrina and lasts until September 20th I believe. I'll look for the link.
    It's my own two cents. You don't have to read or like it.

State of Texas - Flags Lowered for Rehnquist AND Katrina

Gov. Perry declared flags at half-mast for both Rehnquist and Katrina, until September 20th.

Quote Originally Posted by DEPUTYDAWG
    Gov. Perry declared flags at half-mast for both Rehnquist and Katrina, until September 20th.
    Is this nationwide or just Texas? I haven't heard about anything but Rehnquist and I am IN TEXAS so it appears the "word" hasn't gotten out. Perhaps it needs to be restated by Bush and the states again. People have been a bit preoccupied - so much going on - a Holiday weekend, school starting, 9/11 anniversary, Supreme court, Katrina.

~Peace~

In reality the President is the only one that can order this. But, it really isn't within the half mast guidlines.
    http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/xf-nffa.html

Is this nationwide or just Texas? I haven't heard about anything but Rehnquist and I am IN TEXAS so it appears the "word" hasn't gotten out. Perhaps it needs to be restated by Bush and the states again. People have been a bit preoccupied - so much going on - a Holiday weekend, school starting, 9/11 anniversary, Supreme court, Katrina.
    I don't know Cynder, I actually hadn't heard anything Bush had done on a national level re flags. I've been preoccupied....

All I know is Tuesday morning, we received teletypes and a copy of Perry's executive order to have flags at half-mast until September 20th, for Rehnquist and Katrina. And since I'm not in charge of the flag poles here (Adjutant is), I didn't read all the detail; but it was saying something about our State buildings had to, but others such as private businesses, etc. were "encouraged" to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by less0305
    Thanks less!

In Dallas, there's one car dealership that's got three or four HUGE American flags and they've been lowered. Other than one or two other businesses, that's all I've seen. I think its a shame.

I think people just don't know - I am sure that they would gladly do it if they got the info. I didn't know anything about lowering them for Katrina (Rehnquist is all I heard) so I would have been among the ignorant myself.
    OT (just wondering) Is 9/11 considered a "half-mast" day now?

~Peace~

I think people just don't know - I am sure that they would gladly do it if they got the info. I didn't know anything about lowering them for Katrina (Rehnquist is all I heard) so I would have been among the ignorant myself.

I think people are allowed to take it upon themseves to recognize that we're going through a national tragedy here with up to 25,000 body bags being ordered. I'm not sure why they'd need to wait to be told to do it. It always puts a lump in my throat to see it though.

I don't think that 9/11 will be done every year. But I remember after 2001, with people driving around with their headlights on all day, people standing on over passes holding American flags, etc. Tore my heart out.

Usually once the President issues the resolution - it is filtered down to the State levels because so many federal buildings are in the different States. And also, most of the time, if the President issues a resolution then the Governor will follow suit and issue one for State buildings and all governmental buildings, etc. I found out through my municipality - because I'm the one that gets that type of information. Then I let all my city buildings know. Then people and businesses in town begin to follow suit also. Usually I know it's coming when the Post Office has their's lowered in the morning, then I know I'll get the information that day usually.

The American Legion calenders indicate days such as 9/11, Pearl Harbor Day, Memorial Day, etc. be half-mast days. They should probably have a Katrina remembrence day, if the death toll gets into the thousands.

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Our flag at work, in Michigan, is at half mast.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast