VA - Freshman daughter, mom 'good time drop off' outrages VA university

zwiebel

Reaction score
Students and staff at Old Dominion University (ODU) in Norfolk, Virginia have expressed outrage after signs were hung from a private student residence 'welcoming' freshers. The signs only welcomed females and stated moms could be dropped off at the house, along with their freshman daughters but needed to be prepared for 'a good time'.

ODU president John R Briderick said of the signs, suspected to have been hung by members of the Sigma Nu frat brothers;

I said at my State of the University address that there is zero tolerance on this campus for sexual assault and sexual harassment. This incident will be reviewed immediately by those on campus empowered to do so. Any student found to have violated the code of conduct will be subject to disciplinary action.

http://wgntv.com/2015/08/24/freshma...llege-campus-outraged-odu-president-responds/

Attachments

• odu-banners.jpg
    odu-banners.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 547
FWIW, frat's activities are suspended pending investigation.

August 24, 2015
Statement from Brad Beacham Sigma Nu Fraternity Executive Director

“
Sigma Nu Fraternity has suspended the activities of the Eta Chi Chapter at Old Dominion University pending completion of an investigation into offensive banners displayed from an offcampus, privately-owned property near the ODU campus last week. The Fraternity condemns the derogatory and demeaning language used on the banners. Such language has no place in our Fraternity or within any caring community, such as that of ODU. Any Fraternity member found to be responsible for this reprehensible display will be held accountable by the Fraternity.
Initial reports regarding the banners indicated that no Fraternity member had involvement with the banners. However, additional information received by the Fraternity today indicates that some chapter members may have had involvement with the banners. Upon completion of its investigation, the Fraternity will take action in accordance with its principles and code of conduct.
The Fraternity will remain in close communication with ODU administrators throughout its investigation and review.”
Headquartered in Lexington, Va., Sigma Nu Fraternity was founded in 1869 at Virginia Military Institute in Lexington. The Fraternity currently has 163 active chapters and colonies and has initiated more than 235,000 members since its founding.

###" http://www.sigmanu.org/

These banners are really silly and I don't see the point of them, but the backlash seems ultra-puritan and anti-sex.

These banners are really silly and I don't see the point of them, but the backlash seems ultra-puritan and anti-sex.

Disagree. I bet the ones who are outraged the most are the most liberal. Freshman girls going to frat party, getting super wasted, what's going to happen? I think some feel like there is an implication of date rape. Like they're expected to have sex with these frat douches.

More like anti-sexual harassment, anti-sexual misconduct, and anti-sexual assault.

Students and staff at Old Dominion University (ODU) in Norfolk, Virginia have expressed outrage after signs were hung from a private student residence 'welcoming' freshers. The signs only welcomed females and stated moms could be dropped off at the house, along with their freshman daughters but needed to be prepared for 'a good time'.

ODU president John R Briderick said of the signs, suspected to have been hung by members of the Sigma Nu frat brothers;

http://wgntv.com/2015/08/24/freshma...llege-campus-outraged-odu-president-responds/

When my hubby said hey check this out, I did and then I laughed. :) I thought/think it's funny, and still do. I would have loved to have had a camera set up and captured the faces as they went by.

I found the banners, immature, ignorant and disgusting. My son graduated from ODU and I have a younger daughter. I would be upset enough dropping her off for her first year of college without seeing these banners. I feel that Sigma Nu is doing the right thing in suspending this chapter. Maybe it'll help these numbskulls grow up a little.

More like anti-sexual harassment, anti-sexual misconduct, and anti-sexual assault.

Bingo.

Sex is okay. Being targeted as a sex object for assault is not.

It's not "puritan" to expect respect.

Disgusting. I hope their parents are ashamed.

When my hubby said hey check this out, I did and then I laughed. :) I thought/think it's funny, and still do. I would have loved to have had a camera set up and captured the faces as they went by.

If these banners were in a nightclub or within a private space, I'd probably give them a pass as simply being in poor taste. But to have them in students' faces on college campus is insulting and completely inappropriate.

If these banners were in a nightclub or within a private space, I'd probably give them a pass as simply being in poor taste. But to have them in students' faces on college campus is insulting and completely inappropriate.

Maybe seeing these signs, while taking your freshman son or daughter to move in, would make a good opportunity to talk with them about what can and does happen, at frat houses, in college, while drinking too much and what the repercussions of those activities are.
The signs themselves are just a bad joke, imo.

I would seriously reconsider dropping my daughter (or son - I don't want him learning THAT kind of behavior/attitude) off having seen those banners. I'm not a puritan but it isn't funny. BUT, on the good side, it clearly illustrated where the biggest problem is for the school & fraternity to handle!

Maybe seeing these signs, while taking your freshman son or daughter to move in, would make a good opportunity to talk with them about what can and does happen, at frat houses, in college, while drinking too much and what the repercussions of those activities are.
The signs themselves are just a bad joke, imo.

That talk should have been had months before dropping your daughter off at college. I can't imagine sending my daughter to school and not having warned her about frats, date rape, sexual assault, and binge drinking.

The signs are indicative of a much larger problem on campuses. Not as offensive as the "Yes means no, no means ...." chant, but still part of the big picture.

It's a hostile public display. But if you think it's funny in wake of all the garbage we hear about frats, I guess there's nothing more to say.

Surely you don't speak of this is. Oh btw I hope they win big enough to put them out of publication. jmo idk

The fraternity spotlighted in a discredited Rolling Stone article describing an alleged gang rape at the University of Virginia will take legal action against the magazine.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/04/06/uva-fraternity-lawsuit-rolling-stone/25363051/

Surely you don't speak of this is. Oh btw I hope they win big enough to put them out of publication. jmo idk

The fraternity spotlighted in a discredited Rolling Stone article describing an alleged gang rape at the University of Virginia will take legal action against the magazine.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/04/06/uva-fraternity-lawsuit-rolling-stone/25363051/

Some of the garbage we hear about frats:

Stuff like this:
Wesleyan Sued Over 'Rape Factory' Frat House

And this:
Infamous 'Rapebait' Frat Disbanded for Being Entirely Too Rapey

And this:
'Rapebait' e-mail reveals dark side of frat culture

And this:
Police probe whether UWM fraternity members put drugs in party drinks
3 women, 1 man taken to hospital for intoxication; 1 student arrested

And this:
U. Of Texas-Arlington Fraternity Shut Down After 3 Sexual Assaults Are Reported In Less Than A Month

Well, I accidentally thanked this and can't remove it from tapatalk. Any suggestions?

The "baby girl" really takes the grossness up a notch for me. I can get the dark humor in theory but in practice it's so tasteless and gives the frat a bad image.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back