CA - Conservative candidate deletes FB page after violent and sexist posts revealed

Montjoy

Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/wiliam-moughrabi-facebook-violent-sexual-posts-1.3203206

"A Montreal Conservative candidate has scrapped his social media accounts after posts from his Facebook page containing violent and sexist content surfaced online."

Unlike the Liberal candidate who resigned over Facebook comments she made when she was 16, this Conservative candidate's comments were made as recently as last year -- and has made no comment thus far about resigning.

All the major parties suck. I plan to vote for a party that has never been elected to Parliament, the Libertarians.

Are you guys serious? LOL I read the headline about VIOLENT, SEXIST posts and was ready for some truly ugly things....and these are just silly jokes. They are the usual FB posts and memes that people share all of the time. Are we really calling this VIOLENT?

"Ladies: Everytime [sic] you complain that there are no good guys left, remember you left us in the friend zone," Moughrabi posted in August 2014.

Other posts on the Tory hopeful's page were more violent. In February 2014, Moughrabi posted "Never get into fights with ugly people, they have nothing to lose."

That August, he posted, "Karma takes too long. I'd rather beat the **** out of you now."

I love the bolded one. LOL I hardly call it violent. It is a JOKE. He was not seriously threatening to beat anyone up. Gheeezzzz. Have we lost all sense of humor to political correctness these days?

I think saying he would beat the **** out of someone is, indeed, violent.

If your or I posted that....meh.

But when you decide to become a politcal figure, you might want to rethink the stupid **** you post. Or maybe those are the sorts of poor choices we do not want to see in an elected official.

JMO, MOO, IMO.

If the candidate believed that he should own his words, why would he delete his social media accounts?

Honestly, I don't find those nearly as offensive as the young woman's comments (the one who resigned). These may be in poor taste, but I too have seen most, if not all, of these as memes on Facebook. He definitely fails in originality, but I don't really think those particular posts are that awful. Were they actually directed at specific people? If they were, that's different, but as I understand they were just stupid Facebook statuses? Stupid, but I wouldn't classify them as violent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But when you decide to become a politcal figure, you might want to rethink the stupid **** you post. Or maybe those are the sorts of poor choices we do not want to see in an elected official.

JMO, MOO, IMO.

So if you or I post it then it's OK> But if you want to run for political office then it's not? WHY? Why is it OK for you and I but not for some political candidate?

He obviously was just posting a joke that was going all around FB. I have felt that exact same way here on WS:

"Karma takes too long. I'd rather beat the **** out of you now."

Does it mean I am REALLY going to beat the chit out of someone? NO. It just means that Karma is sometimes too slow. That was the point of the joke. I see no violence in this joke at all.

If the candidate believed that he should own his words, why would he delete his social media accounts?

Probably because these are not his own words. These are FB jokes and memes that get sent around and shared. Big difference.

I just realized this is Stéphane Dion's riding and the Liberal candidate Joly looks like a winner. Let this Con say whatever he wants. :)

Thought readers of this thread might appreciate the interest over an Irish politician's old tweet that was rediscovered last month. Frankly, it made me want to vote for him, whatever his politics! It was:

'Eoin, did u collect the eggs'

The Daily Edge has tracked down something of an explanation to the mysterious tweet, though it's still bizarre to me. Interestingly, the twitter account that originally tracked down that tweet, and collected those of other politicians, has just had its account blocked by twitter. It issued a press release saying politicians had as much right to make twitter mistakes and delete them as other users, so the account was acting unfairly in collating them.

http://www.dailyedge.ie/egg-tweet-sean-kenny-1016142-Jul2013/

http://techcrunch.com/2015/08/24/tw...d-politicians-deleted-tweets-in-30-countries/

Thought readers of this thread might appreciate the interest over an Irish politician's old tweet that was rediscovered last month. Frankly, it made me want to vote for him, whatever his politics! It was:

'Eoin, did u collect the eggs'

The Daily Edge has tracked down something of an explanation to the mysterious tweet, though it's still bizarre to me. Interestingly, the twitter account that originally tracked down that tweet, and collected those of other politicians, has just had its account blocked by twitter. It issued a press release saying politicians had as much right to make twitter mistakes and delete them as other users, so the account was acting unfairly in collating them.

http://www.dailyedge.ie/egg-tweet-sean-kenny-1016142-Jul2013/

That's funny and also reminds me no one at my house collected eggs today! Sorry chickens!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh for goodness sake. These are jokes, maybe bad jokes in the opinion of many, but clearly jokes circulating the internet. Who is it that these two jokes are supposed to offend? Women who keep men around as fall back plans? People who get away with being jerks? What is the offense? With all the truly terrible events and injustices throughout the world isn't this a waste of outrage? MOO

Are you guys serious? LOL I read the headline about VIOLENT, SEXIST posts and was ready for some truly ugly things....and these are just silly jokes. They are the usual FB posts and memes that people share all of the time. Are we really calling this VIOLENT?

"Ladies: Everytime [sic] you complain that there are no good guys left, remember you left us in the friend zone," Moughrabi posted in August 2014.

Other posts on the Tory hopeful's page were more violent. In February 2014, Moughrabi posted "Never get into fights with ugly people, they have nothing to lose."

That August, he posted, "Karma takes too long. I'd rather beat the **** out of you now."

I love the bolded one. LOL I hardly call it violent. It is a JOKE. He was not seriously threatening to beat anyone up. Gheeezzzz. Have we lost all sense of humor to political correctness these days?

Well, at least we know who keeps telling pollsters she will vote for Donald Trump. But why is Kim counted as 40% of the electorate?

(Actually, K, I am kidding. I agree with you on this one. The dude's comments on punching people lack wit, but the "friend zone" comment was pretty funny and I hardly think the other remarks disqualify him from seeking office. But then I might give the young lady a pass for something she wrote as a sophomore in high school.)

Well, when you apologize aren't you supposed to cease the offending conduct? Perhaps he felt he was doing so in deleting the remarks.

JMO, MOO, IMO.

If words are "violent", then what word will we use to describe conduct that is physically harmful?

I think I agree with both you and Kim. The legislator should have used better judgment; what he actually wrote wasn't that bad.

So if you or I post it then it's OK> But if you want to run for political office then it's not? WHY? Why is it OK for you and I but not for some political candidate?

He obviously was just posting a joke that was going all around FB. I have felt that exact same way here on WS:

"Karma takes too long. I'd rather beat the **** out of you now."

Does it mean I am REALLY going to beat the chit out of someone? NO. It just means that Karma is sometimes too slow. That was the point of the joke. I see no violence in this joke at all.

When you run for office, or hold yourself up as a bastion of fundamentalist belief, or as an expert on knot-tying, or sudoko, whatever....but when you create of yourself a PUBLIC FIGURE and then spout on SOCIAL MEDIA stupid crap....then YES, you have made a target of yourself. People are going to be aware of what you do because you put it out there in narcissistic quantities. And to expect zero WTFs is kind of clueless. IMO.

If you or I make an offhand comment about how we'd like to kick someone right in the seat of their lying pants, we are private citizens who have not invited the scrutiny of the world at large.

You can't be a public figure and expect your even-broader public comments will not be noticed. Big fat Face Palm.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back