733 users online (95 members and 638 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Canada - Mexican Migrant Workers Missing In B.C. Just 'Vanished'

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/07...n_7896920.html
    B.C. — A perplexing mystery in the Okanagan is raising concerns of area police and the B.C. Fruit Growers Association.
    There is still no sign of four farm workers and association president Fred Steele says this is the first disappearance in the decade-long history of Mexican farmhands travelling to the Okanagan to help with fruit harvests.
    "To my knowledge, no one's ever pulled a Houdini act, vanishing like this, before now," Steele said.
    The four men, who range in age from 27 to 39, were among 1,500 Mexicans working this summer in the Okanagan at farms or nurseries, as part of the Seasonal Agricultural Workers Program.
    They had been in Canada for only 10 days when they took a cab into Vernon, June 26, from the North Okanagan orchard where they were employed, RCMP said.
    They cashed some cheques and haven't been heard from since.
    "Right now, we don't have any idea where they are," said Gord Molendyk, Vernon RCMP spokesman.

*snip
    The missing men are Uriel Soto, 37, Issac Bautista, 27, Juvenal Binedo, 39, and Juan Sanchez, 30. Molendyk said he didn't know if the four had worked in the Okanagan before, or were first-time participants in the seasonal employment program. (Kelowna Daily Courier)

maybe they just left? got their checks and bounced. its weird all 4 would be gone. i would say they wrecked somewhere, but they took a cab.

Missing Mexican migrant workers a mystery
    July 20, 2015

Snipped...
    ...“The men went missing on June 26, leaving their personal effects behind. However, it appears they took their identification papers with them,” said Vernon RCMP spokesperson Gord Molendyk.

...The four men are listed as Uriel Huizar Soto, age 37, (address unknown); Juan Manuel Sanchez Gallegos, 30 (address unknown); Issac Jimenez Bautista, 28, of Carretera, Picacho al Ajusco, Mexico City; and Juvenal Rios Binedo, 39, (address unknown).

Police only have photos for Soto and Sanchez Gallegos.

All four men came to Canada on June 16.
    Read more: http://www.vernonmorningstar.com/news/317590531.html

My guess would be tried to make their way through all that very empty hilly country due south and over the US border, it might take a week from Vernon, and then they'd be a long way from anywhere. Maybe had a friend in the US could meet them.

Quote Originally Posted by tarabull View Post
    Missing Mexican migrant workers a mystery
    July 20, 2015

Snipped...

Read more: http://www.vernonmorningstar.com/news/317590531.html
    i suppose they could of fled or they could of met with foul play.

Snipped * The men may have gone to the South Okanagan to work on another orchard, but they have not checked in with the Mexican consulate to notify them of a change in employment.

Slightly interesting...

Just saying.

Slightly interesting...

Just saying.

Agreed, interesting 😁

FWIW, apparently in all the years the SAWP has been running in the sunny okanagan valley, these are the only four Mexicans to seemingly vanish.

Read more about the program: http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/ne....html?mode=jqm

Missing Mexicans Found
    November 25, 2015

http://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/...Mexicans-found

Missing Mexicans Found
    November 25, 2015

http://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/...Mexicans-found
    I love it how we are so secretive here in Canada. Good grief. Why won't they say where they were found?
    Justice for Holly Bobo🎀

Quote Originally Posted by ~n/t~ View Post
    I love it how we are so secretive here in Canada. Good grief. Why won't they say where they were found?
    Right? Did you see the "two suspicious men we desperately need to find but don't worry" thread? I don't get it.

Not exactly living for the racist/sterotypical allegations, and it doesnt help that they're not releasing what happened

Reading the comment sections of those articles is hilarious. Canadians and Americans always get mad at Mexicans coming over the border and "stealing our jobs", but they usually take jobs that the majority wouldn't even touch. As someone who lives on the border and in agriculture-type community, the majority of these people just want to make money and return back to their families. Just because they're are a few bad seeds doesn't mean we should stereotype a huge group of people that help provide our food source.

Anyways, i'm surprised in the first place that Canada actually allowed Mexicans in for work, i always assume they're way stricter than the US.