GUILTY MI - Jamila Smith, 3, beaten to death, Detroit, Sept 2014

BetteDavisEyes

Fasten your seatbelts...
Reaction score
I feel sorry for Mr. Smith. I hope he survived that take-down and I wish he wouldn't be charged, but I suppose he will.

I applaud Mr Smith. He probably needed to get that punch in. It might be worth it in his mind to sit in a jail for a couple of days in exchange for hitting that monster in the face. JMO

Can't say I blame the dad. I'm kind of surprised this doesn't happen more often, to be honest.

Can't say I blame the dad. I'm kind of surprised this doesn't happen more often, to be honest.

I have often thought the same thing. I don't think I could sit calmly if I was a few feet away from someone who battered my baby to death.

Pardon me for scratching my head at some of the comments here.

On one hand, the US Justice system is under fire for being broken according to many threads (most of them closed now) - specifically where LE is concerned - with disrespect to say the least towards officers, riots etc. Yet on the other hand, the same people that advocate there is nothing wrong with what LE does these days in the US, are saying it's OK (even expected) for a citizen to lose control in a court room and attack another person due to the crime committed.

Not only do I not get the hypocrisy, will disregard future posts that LE can/should shoot, beat, lock-up etc any citizen in the future on an 'as needed basis'. Will look at those posts as violence begetting violence for ...? entertainment, the ability to brag at backyard BBQ's ... whatever.

It's beyond words the tragedy to this little child - but courtroom attacks should not be celebrated. It's opening the doors for further disregard for law and order. The 'voice' of America should know that imo.

On one hand, the US Justice system is under fire for being broken according to many threads (most of them closed now) - specifically where LE is concerned - with disrespect to say the least towards officers, riots etc. Yet on the other hand, the same people that advocate there is nothing wrong with what LE does these days in the US, are saying it's OK (even expected) for a citizen to lose control in a court room and attack another person due to the crime committed.

Not only do I not get the hypocrisy, will disregard future posts that LE can/should shoot, beat, lock-up etc any citizen in the future on an 'as needed basis'. Will look at those posts as violence begetting violence for ...? entertainment, the ability to brag at backyard BBQ's ... whatever.

It's beyond words the tragedy to this little child - but courtroom attacks should not be celebrated. It's opening the doors for further disregard for law and order. The 'voice' of America should know that imo.

-and then murdering an innocent citizen for NO good reason; and a parent who literally cannot help himself when confronted with the slime ball who killed his child. No right-thinking person wants courtroom attacks to occur, but it's easy to understand why they might.

I do not 'celebrate' the attack. But I fully understand the anger towards the coward who beat the man's 3 yr old to death. So go ahead and disregard future posts..whatever.

If you had a beautiful 3 yr old baby girl, and someone beat her to death, how would you react to seeing her killer a few feet away from you? Are you saying that you would not have the urge to punch him? I sure would and I don't feel ashamed to admit so.

I do not 'celebrate' the attack. But I fully understand the anger towards the coward who beat the man's 3 yr old to death. So go ahead and disregard future posts..whatever.

I applaud Mr Smith. He probably needed to get that punch in. It might be worth it in his mind to sit in a jail for a couple of days in exchange for hitting that monster in the face. JMO

Boldfaced by me.

This really does seem contradictory.

-and then murdering an innocent citizen for NO good reason; and a parent who literally cannot help himself when confronted with the slime ball who killed his child. No right-thinking person wants courtroom attacks to occur, but it's easy to understand why they might.

FWIW - I absolutely do not share that opinion. A cop should keep it together and revenge is not justice.

If you had a beautiful 3 yr old baby girl, and someone beat her to death, how would you react to seeing her killer a few feet away from you? Are you saying that you would not have the urge to punch him? I sure would and I don't feel ashamed to admit so.

I would never choose to be a few feet from that killer - ever. My thoughts and urges would be conducted in the privacy of my home - not in the public eye. Otherwise, I would have much to be ashamed about - no better than the killer.

I so get why people defend LE wrongdoing now - revenge is sweet, or so I've heard.

I would never choose to be a few feet from that killer - ever. My thoughts and urges would be conducted in the privacy of my home - not in the public eye. Otherwise, I would have much to be ashamed about - no better than the killer.

I so get why people defend LE wrongdoing now - revenge is sweet, or so I've heard.

The father was in court to give his victim's impact statement regarding the murder of his daughter.

The father was in court to give his victim's impact statement regarding the murder of his daughter.

Yes he was - not quite the end of the story though is it. And the kudos he received for his attack - to each his/her own opinion. Kudos would then have to be extended to the next person, and the next .... One will often outdo the last person.

It's strange that all Dad's anger was directed at the man.

It was Mom who was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter AND child abuse and got a minimum of 14 years. Thomas was 'only' found guilty of involuntary manslaughter and his minimum was only 4 and half years.

Following the morning outburst, the courtroom was cleared for a recess. When court resumed later, the deceased child's father was not in attendance and did not give a victim's impact statement. The Judge admonished everyone in the courtroom that emotional outbursts would not be tolerated.

...Later in the day, Gordon was sentenced to 14 to 25 years on the child abuse conviction and 7 to 15 years on the manslaughter conviction. Her sentences will run concurrent.

Thomas was sentenced to 4.5 to 15 years on the manslaughter conviction and 1 to 2 years on the resisting police conviction...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...ntenced-thursday-for-3yearolds-death/34935682

I haven't followed this case, but grandmom (mom's side) was talking in court about how her daughter just 'made a mistake' in leaving her toddler 'with a complete stranger...a man she didn't even know'. As though he was totally responsible for the little one's death.

So how does that line up with just mom being charged with child abuse on top of the manslaughter, and not him?

I haven't followed this case, but grandmom (mom's side) was talking in court about how her daughter just 'made a mistake' in leaving her toddler 'with a complete stranger...a man she didn't even know'. As though he was totally responsible for the little one's death.

So how does that line up with just mom being charged with child abuse on top of the manslaughter, and not him?

During the autopsy, ME found previous severe injuries, indicating that the child had been abused for a long time.

Sad situation when courtroom decorum drops to level of Jerry Springer or Maury Povich show. jmo.

My guess would be the bio father knows that striking a woman is definitely a no-no! Had this happened, he would be in big trouble IMO.

It may also go with the factor that many times it is the male who has the low tolerance for the young child of his significant other. So he is the encouraging one to the mother to "shut that kid up or I will". As parents, we know it is not as easy as it sounds! However, in this case, the mother DID get a stiffer penalty than the boyfriend, so the evidence must have been pretty strong that the mother was the main abuser.

My opinions only ...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back