1264 users online (255 members and 1009 guests)  

Websleuths News

UT - Trooper Shot In The Back - Saved By Vest - Suspect Suicide

Sgt. Paul Kotter, a 15-year veteran and the man in charge of training new recruits, was wearing his bulletproof vest when 21-year-old Drew Morgan Moyer, of Layton, allegedly fired at least three shots at him as the trooper turned to walk back to his patrol car.

-----------------------

The incident began about 2 a.m. near Hill Field Road and state Route 193. Kotter and three other troopers were working an overtime shift in a construction zone, essentially staying with their patrol vehicles with the red and blue lights flashing to prompt motorists to slow down.

Moyer reportedly drove out of a nearby apartment complex and into an area of the construction zone that was closed to the public, Fuhr said. He pulled up next to Kotter.

Fuhr said Kotter could smell alcohol on Moyer's breath and told him he couldn't be in that area. Kotter is believed to have collected information from Moyer he planned to run on the laptop in his patrol car when he was shot as he walked back.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=36210030&nid...&s_cid=queue-8

Are you kidding me??? What the heck is going on in the US?

Given that he was just working in a construction zone, he is very lucky.
    I'm guessing many officers in such a low crime area wouldn't wear a vest for that.

Quote Originally Posted by MsFacetious View Post
    Given that he was just working in a construction zone, he is very lucky.
    I'm guessing many officers in such a low crime area wouldn't wear a vest for that.
    Given the rate of cops being shot these days, they should all be wearing them on-duty.
    "If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."
    - John Irving in A Prayer for Owen Meany

Unless I provide a link or refer to a specific link, all my ramblings are theories, speculation, scenarios based on what info is available and my own unique life experiences.