"The President couldn't have chosen a better man": Mike Brown

As I said a few days ago, whoever is second in charge should be studying all the manuals...I don't think Brown is gonna be around long. (I'd predict a "resignation" or "transfer" of duties, maybe not now in the middle of all this, but in the coming months.)

But, if this is all true - OMG. He should do the honorable thing and resign now, or get his *advertiser censored** fired. That would send a strong message, that would be well deserved, apparently.

IMO, of course.

I heard Rudy Guiliani mentioned as a possible replacement this morning. I kinda liked that idea.

Ntegrity said:
I heard Rudy Guiliani mentioned as a possible replacement this morning. I kinda liked that idea.

Ohhhhh, that could be a good thing!!!!

DEPUTYDAWG said:
As I said a few days ago, whoever is second in charge should be studying all the manuals...I don't think Brown is gonna be around long. (I'd predict a "resignation" or "transfer" of duties, maybe not now in the middle of all this, but in the coming months.)

But, if this is all true - OMG. He should do the honorable thing and resign now, or get his *advertiser censored** fired. That would send a strong message, that would be well deserved, apparently.

IMO, of course.

My feelings also. I'm not sure there is anyone on earth who could handle such a tragedy and collassal (sp?) disaster that we've never experienced before without making any mistakes, but if he's not what he was presented to be, he should meet with his superiors and resign. I also think there should be someone ready, willing, and ABLE to take over in the midst of this terrible tragedy. That should be thought over carefully - no one wants to add insult to injury.

I'm not sure there is anyone on earth who could handle such a tragedy and collassal (sp?) disaster that we've never experienced before without making any mistakes, but if he's not what he was presented to be, he should meet with his superiors and resign. I also think there should be someone ready, willing, and ABLE to take over in the midst of this terrible tragedy.

I agree that this is a HUGE crisis, but if someone were in charge that didn't falsify their resume and wasn't a member of the good ole boy club, I am sure things would be running a bit smoother and seem a bit bmore under control. Right now I feel as if the situation is like a dog chasing its tail.

RUDY has my vote!

less0305 said:
My feelings also. I'm not sure there is anyone on earth who could handle such a tragedy and collassal (sp?) disaster that we've never experienced before without making any mistakes, but if he's not what he was presented to be, he should meet with his superiors and resign. I also think there should be someone ready, willing, and ABLE to take over in the midst of this terrible tragedy. That should be thought over carefully - no one wants to add insult to injury.

Agreed. A little bit of the "be careful what you wish for...." Who, "in the system," would be READY right now to take over in the middle of this fiasco. There is no time for much of a learning curve. Unless it's someone that has had great experience in large disasters (obviously, no one has had experience in one this large and complex)...and understands the bureaucracies and how they all interact. Let's hope there is someone out there ready to take control of this thing.

Chanting:

RUDY! RUDY! RUDY!:woohoo: :woohoo:

Truthfully and honestly....who would want to take over this enormous undertaking without some reservations? Look how people are criticized and picked apart when it is THRUST upon them - imagine sitting back seeing it all and then deciding - "oh, hey, yeah...thow me in there under that microscope to be picked apart!! Yeah, I want some of that!"

If Rudy does it, cudos to him for stepping up to the plate. If he doesn't, I can sure understand why. Like I said before on another thread.....imagine how the pilot or traffic controller or clerk felt when people were screaming about the plane that went to a different Charleston. A mistake was made and people were ready to draw blood. But imagine the scrutiny if you're in charge of this entire disaster.

less0305 said:
Truthfully and honestly....who would want to take over this enormous undertaking without some reservations? Look how people are criticized and picked apart when it is THRUST upon them - imagine sitting back seeing it all and then deciding - "oh, hey, yeah...thow me in there under that microscope to be picked apart!! Yeah, I want some of that!"

If Rudy does it, cudos to him for stepping up to the plate. If he doesn't, I can sure understand why. Like I said before on another thread.....imagine how the pilot or traffic controller or clerk felt when people were screaming about the plane that went to a different Charleston. A mistake was made and people were ready to draw blood. But imagine the scrutiny if you're in charge of this entire disaster.

So very true...as I said before, remind me never to allow any of my friends or family or the neighbor lady down the street to run for public office or hold such an important position. And it's too bad, really...as I'm sure there's many very good people that could do some good to make necessary changes. (And we can't forget, usually private industry usually pays more, etc. :silenced: )

DEPUTYDAWG said:
Agreed. A little bit of the "be careful what you wish for...." Who, "in the system," would be READY right now to take over in the middle of this fiasco. There is no time for much of a learning curve. Unless it's someone that has had great experience in large disasters (obviously, no one has had experience in one this large and complex)...and understands the bureaucracies and how they all interact. Let's hope there is someone out there ready to take control of this thing.
This morning Colin Powell's name is being mentioned to coordinate the New Orleans recovery for the Feds - I think he might be pretty good as head of FEMA as well. I think ALL the residents of NO would welcome Powell AND he and Gen Honore would make a heck of a team.

If the implications of the article are true then not only should Brown be fired, but potentaly Bush should be impeeched. Of couse this statement is based on a lot of assumptions yet to be proven. Rudy has my vote!!!!!

mjak

cynder said:
This morning Colin Powell's name is being mentioned to coordinate the New Orleans recovery for the Feds - I think he might be pretty good as head of FEMA as well. I think ALL the residents of NO would welcome Powell AND he and Gen Honore would make a heck of a team.

Ooohhhh, I like that idea as well! Yes, I could see that team in there...go git 'er done!

(I almost think I like Powell and Guiliani too much to wish this on them, LOL)

Ntegrity said:

Brown has got to go. His head should roll. I wish Bush would step up to the plate and fire Brown; it's the right and honorable thing to do.

And Guiliani would be an excellent choice for replacement!

I'm kinda hoping for bigger and better for Guiliani - next President!

kgeaux said:
Brown has got to go. His head should roll. I wish Bush would step up to the plate and fire Brown; it's the right and honorable thing to do.

And Guiliani would be an excellent choice for replacement!

Political favoritism jobs - oh how I hope that this now becomes under greater scrutiny with the public. It's gone on for years and years, but this one really did turn disasterous. I may be turning more cynical in my "years," LOL, but I'm still a Pollyanna at heart. I still hope good will come out of this big mess.

And BTW, if it's as bad as it looks, specifically to Brown and his lying about his background, inflating his resume, etc. IF he did it by paperwork/documents and/or under testimony, then he should be guilty of falsifying government documents. That should be clear cut, right then and there, let alone that he *advertiser censored**** up on the job.

I know Powell and Bush are NOT on the best of terms BUT if Bush can reach out to Bill Clinton when things are tough surely he can reach out to Powell and mend fences as well.
I have said all along they need to choose someone who can rally support and who inspires confidence and who can also get things done. On a "local" level I think Powell is a better choice for New Orleans - he will resonate with the populace there AND he has so much experience - diplomatic, miltary, operations, coordination et al. It is going to take someone who can coordinate multiple difficult and potentially contentious projects while keeping a very diverse group focused and working as a team despite many obstacles - and I think Powell can successfully do that. Working with Honore as a "second" will cover many many of the most urgent and immediate needs of New Orleans - a LOT of this recovery is going to move on the feet of the National Guard and other "miltary-ish" federal and state agencies.
Guiliani MAY be a good choice for FEMA but I still think it should be taken out of Homeland Security. The majority (like 99%) of FEMA's duties are NATURAL disasters and don't really have much in common with Terrorist Attacks. The mind-set is totally different - as is the public's response. It seems to have added a LOT of unecessary red-tape and beaurocracy to an agency where it is imperative to move quickly and with confidence.
Maybe FEMA isn't the right organization to deal with the response and recovery process after terrorist attacks? Maybe FEMA handles ONLY natural disasters and a "new" agency can focus on the VERY different response needed for a terrorist incident? FETA?? Then Homeland Security can still have THEIR specialized response team and FEMA can get back to being a separate agency with a Cabinet Level Director. To me, combining the two very different jobs (responding to terrorist attacks vs natural disasters) isn't really working and I don't think one person/agency can really do justice to both. We deserve to have THE BEST response to every disaster - not just an "adequate" one.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back