1469 users online (250 members and 1219 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    I have a problem when people think it's ok for someone to want to slap the faces of the smirky Duggar girls. That is hateful in my opinion. Also, some have alluded to Josh not being the only Duggar son having done something wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouBelle_LA View Post
    I have a problem when people think it's ok for someone to want to slap the faces of the smirky Duggar girls. That is hateful in my opinion. Also, some have alluded to Josh not being the only Duggar son having done something wrong.
    I am not sure anyone said my opinion was okay, but as the one who posted that I would like to slap the smirky faces of the Duggar girls, I readily admit that impulse was hateful. You're absolutely right about that.

However, if you can honestly say there's no one in the world whose face you'd like to slap, then...wow. Good for you.

I also think Michelle's anti-transgender robocall was much more hateful than what I said.
    Be kind, for everyone is fighting a great battle.

My favorite song ever -->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihUIPlLw2ZE

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs G Norris View Post
    They're a bunch of nuts really, if they kept it 'in house' I'd be fine with it, but they have this urge to ram it down everyone else's throat.
    Even if they kept it 'in house' they'd still have to branch out and recruit others, or at least continue breeding so they have a steady supply of women to keep down. I think (not that I really know) it must be difficult enough to get out of a cult when you've had another life and people on the outside trying to rescue you. They're creating their own members who, as far as I can tell, have very little chance of escape.

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyBlanche View Post
    I admit I'm in a super cranky mood and I'm sure that has a lot to do with it, but I just got back from the grocery store, where the latest People with Jessa and Jill on the cover was displayed.

I just wanted to slap their smirky faces. I am so tired of this sick, hypocritical family.

I wish they would all crawl back under their rock and stay there.
    Here, this will make you feel better:

Jessa (Duggar) Seewald and Jill (Duggar) Dillard appeared on TLC's documentary Breaking the Silence Sunday, seeking education to address the aftermath of the abuse they faced at the hands of brother Josh Duggar more than a decade ago.
    "I was so glad that my girls and I were able to do this together and that we could just be a support and encouragement to each other to be able to gain more information about this important topic," said Michelle, 48.
    The seminar was especially meaningful for Jessa, who is expecting her first child on Nov. 1, and she said she learned "things I can do to be more aware, things I can do to set up boundaries and safeguards for my child and children, hopefully, in the future."

http://www.people.com/article/jill-d...lc-documentary

I skipped the documentary.

Quote Originally Posted by Montjoy View Post

Michelle chose that ideology, but it's fair to say that Jim Bob did as well.
    snipped for focus

did he? I don't know whether he chose it or was brought up in it. Given what I observed growing up where and when I did, I can't honestly say that I agree someone brought up on it chose it.

Rather, they were brought up on it and never chose (or possessed the critical thinking skills) to question it.

It's like assigning more responsibility to the follower of a cult than one would assign to the leader of a cult. At best, they are equally responsible.
    I don't agree with this either. If a woman who previously espoused feminist views (hypothetical, not saying this is true of Michelle) suddenly joined up with a misogynist cult and that led to her favoring her male children over her female ones, that's on her, not the leader of the cult.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by MsMarple View Post
    Here, this will make you feel better:

Jessa (Duggar) Seewald and Jill (Duggar) Dillard appeared on TLC's documentary Breaking the Silence Sunday, seeking education to address the aftermath of the abuse they faced at the hands of brother Josh Duggar more than a decade ago.
    "I was so glad that my girls and I were able to do this together and that we could just be a support and encouragement to each other to be able to gain more information about this important topic," said Michelle, 48.
    The seminar was especially meaningful for Jessa, who is expecting her first child on Nov. 1, and she said she learned "things I can do to be more aware, things I can do to set up boundaries and safeguards for my child and children, hopefully, in the future."

http://www.people.com/article/jill-d...lc-documentary

I skipped the documentary.
    Why didn't the extremely proud mother protect here girls or at least get them counseling when it happened instead of covering up for her son??? That alone makes me want to slap her! Too bad if it's "hateful".
    This is the year to locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin NamUs MP#876 and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff NamUs MP#6410 and bring them home to their families!

Parents watch your children. Free-range parenting leads to more child victims.

Cruelty to humans begins with cruelty to animals.

I believe in closure, not forgiveness. I'm also unapologetically judgemental.

JeSuisJuif
    JeSuisCharlie

snipped for focus

did he? I don't know whether he chose it or was brought up in it. Given what I observed growing up where and when I did, I can't honestly say that I agree someone brought up on it chose it.

Rather, they were brought up on it and never chose (or possessed the critical thinking skills) to question it.

I don't agree with this either. If a woman who previously espoused feminist views (hypothetical, not saying this is true of Michelle) suddenly joined up with a misogynist cult and that led to her favoring her male children over her female ones, that's on her, not the leader of the cult.
    I think it would depend on if or how she was recruited. Yes, if she willingly signed up then it's on her, but if she'd been groomed, manipulated, brainwashed and lied to it's on the leader.

Quote Originally Posted by LinasK View Post
    Why didn't the extremely proud mother protect here girls or at least get them counseling when it happened instead of covering up for her son??? That alone makes me want to slap her! Too bad if it's "hateful".
    Good question. Because it wouldn't have helped the Duggar show's ratings? Because Michelle doesn't actually care about supporting her girls? Because she thinks that appearing in a documentary on sexual abuse will somehow make people forget her religious beliefs that women "defraud" men by... well, by existing... and that it will somehow resurrect an interest in the Duggar family?

I'll just take my place behind y'all in the slapping line.

Quote Originally Posted by MsMarple View Post
    Good question. Because it wouldn't have helped the Duggar show's ratings? Because Michelle doesn't actually care about supporting her girls? Because she thinks that appearing in a documentary on sexual abuse will somehow make people forget her religious beliefs that women "defraud" men by... well, by existing... and that it will somehow resurrect an interest in the Duggar family?

I'll just take my place behind y'all in the slapping line.
    I noticed one of the things she said was:

It seems even when she's pretending she can't quite get it right. Nice try, but no, Michelle, you were supposed to support THEM. They aren't supposed to be supporting and encouraging you after what you put them through.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesneakers View Post
    I think it would depend on if or how she was recruited. Yes, if she willingly signed up then it's on her, but if she'd been groomed, manipulated, brainwashed and lied to it's on the leader.
    Agreed. But I am not sure that's what happened.

I'm sure our fellow Websleuthers will know or be able to instantly find out the circumstances under which she joined the religion.

IIRC she chose to join it so she could marry Jim Bob. Whose attraction I fail to discern. But to each her own.

I admit I'm in a super cranky mood and I'm sure that has a lot to do with it, but I just got back from the grocery store, where the latest People with Jessa and Jill on the cover was displayed.

I just wanted to slap their smirky faces. I am so tired of this sick, hypocritical family.

I wish they would all crawl back under their rock and stay there.
    I watched the TLC show on childhood sexual abuse tonight. Thankfully, even though there was a small Duggar presence, the majority focused on people wah have come to terms with their experiences, as well as professionals. Two of the Duggar girls, with Michelle were shown participating in a family education/prevention session. They were such a sharp contrast from others more truly in recovery their performances brought to mind the codependent mantra, don't talk, don't trust, don't feel. Smiling for the camera, saying how glad they are to learn about "this important issue." Wooden. Stiff.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesneakers View Post
    I noticed one of the things she said was:

It seems even when she's pretending she can't quite get it right. Nice try, but no, Michelle, you were supposed to support THEM. They aren't supposed to be supporting and encouraging you after what you put them through.
    Maybe I'm reading too much in, but I saw the three of them embracing the education piece--which was really about ways that adults can prevent children from being victimized (rather than always putting the onus on kids to say no, to tell, to run away, to recognize bad touches)--as mothers accepting an unfair share of responsibility for the abuse. "Setting boundaries" offers the illusion of safety without having to specificly confront what has already happened. Like the Duggar's new house with the boys and girls dorms at opposite ends and the parents between.

Quote Originally Posted by Margo/Mom View Post
    I watched the TLC show on childhood sexual abuse tonight. Thankfully, even though there was a small Duggar presence, the majority focused on people wah have come to terms with their experiences, as well as professionals. Two of the Duggar girls, with Michelle were shown participating in a family education/prevention session. They were such a sharp contrast from others more truly in recovery their performances brought to mind the codependent mantra, don't talk, don't trust, don't feel. Smiling for the camera, saying how glad they are to learn about "this important issue." Wooden. Stiff.
    Learn about the issue? They never knew about it?

the sheer disconnect of tht statement is disturbing

It's safe and neutral to say that it was nice to learn more and people should talk more about this important issue...

However,the more Michelle had to learn from this show the more she didn't bother to read up and learn and find out about childhood sexual abuse when it was an acute issue in her family and all of her kids needed urgent help. JMO.

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertai...e-documentary/

The cameras followed Jill and Jessa Duggar, who were among Josh's victims, accompanied by their mother, Michelle, as they attended a seminar to help stop abuse before it starts. The seminar was conducted by the group Darkness to Light, and the group provides five steps for parents to help detect signs of abuse in their children and know how to react if it happens in their family. "It was amazing to understand that there are so many people that deal with this exact same thing in their own families," Jill said. "I feel like this should be a discussion that people are having, even regularly. It shouldn't be a taboo subject," Jessa added.

http://www.d2l.org/site/c.4dICIJOkGc...r_Children.htm

If you eliminate or reduce potential for children to be in isolated, one-on-one situations with adults or other youth, you dramatically reduce risk.
    At least they got validation for their dorm ideology.

http://www.d2l.org/site/c.4dICIJOkGc...xual_Abuse.htm

But nothing here says, "pray, cover it up and make molester do some carpentry"
    Last edited by Donjeta; 08-31-2015 at 01:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs G Norris View Post
    Great choices, both of you .. And this leaves the field open for my least favorite > Michelle.
    I believe that Michelle Duggar is the most passionate and zealous promoter of patriarchy and anti-equality hate of the whole bunch. I believe she would love to be a martyr for the cause. And I actually think JimBob loves his kids more genuinely than Michelle. I think she doesn't have much real connection with her kids after they're weaned.

Out of all of them, she scares me the most.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouBelle_LA View Post
    You have some valid points, Bayou. While I feel the girls have minimized and denied the reality of their abuse as a result of their adoption of some of the more dangerous tenets of the patriarchy, they are victims. And nothing suggests they are bad people.

That goes for their brothers as well. Although I do feel that the chances of more issues with the males in general in that family far exceed the chances of issues with the general population, due specifically to the gender stratification, sexual repression, sexual obsession and misogyny of their culture.

But you are right, IMO, to have a problem with demonizing people who have done nothing wrong. Many of us, me included, have very strong feelings about the harm this family and their ideology have caused to themselves and others. But you've reminded me to check myself and have compassion.
    Last edited by gitana1; 08-31-2015 at 02:11 AM.
    For Elizabeth, a minor child, a victim. Thank God she is home!

*Gitana (means "Gypsy girl"). Pronounced "hee tah nah."

Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast