1236 users online (214 members and 1022 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Montjoy View Post
    Article with link to the 'therapeutic regimen' at the hellish but useless charlatan rehab clinic at which Josh is supposedly registered:

http://gawker.com/josh-duggar-s-sex-...hri-1726747380

Link to the document itself -- well worth a read:

https://www.scribd.com/doc/276244523...ng-application
    I especially liked "No fraternization or conversation with the opposite sex is permitted for any reason at any time."

Yeah, that's the way to go to promote healthy relationships to the opposite sex... you can ogle them as objects on the opposite side in the church but not talk to them - because talking might lead you to see them as people as feelings...

I liked how patients/clients (?) were not allowed to bring any of their own music -- all music would be provided by the labor camp.

Just speaking for myself, but I have a feeling that if I was subjected to their musical selections I would end up with worse rather than better mental health. I also find it sad that they think that a person's musical choices are somehow tied to the reason s/he is in rehab.

No other books, periodicals, newspapers, or other writings shall be made available to the student. Please do not send such materials or request an exception to this rule.
    Is this
    a) because there might be pictures
    or
    b) because they define success as being uninformed, unthinking and ignorant but able to recite memorized Bible quotes
    or c) both

This repressive treatment regime should work a treat!
    You don't get a medal for switching alliances just before the result, as it becomes apparent the other team is set to win.

I missed the special last night, but did DVR it but haven't seen it. DM has an overview:
    Jessa and Jill Duggar along with their mother Michelle discussed their molestation as minors by older brother Josh on a special that aired Sunday night. The three appeared on TLC's Breaking the Silence, a documentary that featured interviews with individuals who suffered sexual abuse as children. The two young women and their mother also participated in a prevention training class hosted by Darkness to Light, an organization that works to empower and educate victims.

'I was so glad that my girls and I were able to do this together and that we could just be a support and encouragement to each other to be able to gain more information about this important topic,' said Michelle during the program according to People.

Jessa opened up about her experience, and what she hoped would happen in the future. 'I feel like this should be a discussion people are having, even regularly,' she said. 'I think that it shouldn't be a taboo subject, that we should be bringing awareness to child sexual abuse and talking about this.'

Jill meanwhile stressed just how important education is when it comes to the subject, especially not that she had a child and Jessa is expecting her first child.

Actress Teri Hatcher and Cheryl Burke of Dancing With the Stars were two other victims who were interviewed for the special.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3kOLIDKc3

I know it's been said before, but it has to be said again. For a people who want to be wholesome and pure, they sure are fixated on SEX. They idolize sex within marriage making it bigger than what it really is, and they demonize it outside of marriage, making it bigger than it really is.

They are whack about sex. Sex is absolutely fabulous, but to fixate on it warps it beyond reality.

I used to think they were okay people who were just misunderstood. I no longer think that! I think they are on the wrong path, and it's a dangerous path.

As for public criticism, I think that will just make them dig in their heels harder and they will react by thinking how much more work they have to do in the fallen world. Sigh. They aren't going to go away.

Quote Originally Posted by gitana1 View Post

You have some valid points, Bayou. While I feel the girls have minimized and denied the reality of their abuse as a result of their adoption of some of the more dangerous tenets of the patriarchy, they are victims. And nothing suggests they are bad people.

But you are right, IMO, to have a problem with demonizing people who have done nothing wrong. Many of us, me included, have very strong feelings about the harm this family and their ideology have caused to themselves and others. But you've reminded me to check myself and have compassion.
    Snipped for focus

I am not so sure they have done "nothing" wrong. I distinctly remember when their interview with Megyn Kelly came out, they made some statements that were clearly lies. I can't remember specifics though.
    Be kind, for everyone is fighting a great battle.

My favorite song ever -->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihUIPlLw2ZE

I watched the documentary last night. There were only a few brief clips where the Duggars spoke.

I couldn't help but cringe when MD spoke. I really don't see her getting anything out of this other than her self validating her own actions by how she separated all the males and female siblings in the home, which would be impossible for the average family to do that doesn't get a mansion built for them for free. It is completely unrealistic in the "real" world.

I do feel that overall the documentary was good, with the exception of the fact that they just HAD to insert the Duggars into it.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyBlanche View Post
    Snipped for focus

I am not so sure they have done "nothing" wrong. I distinctly remember when their interview with Megyn Kelly came out, they made some statements that were clearly lies. I can't remember specifics though.
    Jill and Jessa lied and said that none of them never even knew they were abused until they were told about it because they slept through it. That directly contradicts the official police report that states the 5 year told her parents twice that she was being touched inappropriately by her teenage brother. If the 5 year old knew it was wrong, how come none of the adults did?
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by BeginnersLuck View Post
    I watched the documentary last night. There were only a few brief clips where the Duggars spoke.

I couldn't help but cringe when MD spoke. I really don't see her getting anything out of this other than her self validating her own actions by how she separated all the males and female siblings in the home, which would be impossible for the average family to do that doesn't get a mansion built for them for free. It is completely unrealistic in the "real" world.

I do feel that overall the documentary was good, with the exception of the fact that they just HAD to insert the Duggars into it.
    I have a feeling that the Duggars were originally featured more prominently, to test audience reactions to Jill and Jessa specifically. Then Josh Duggar struck again last week and they headed into the editing room at the last minute to reduce the amount of airtime the Duggars were given.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Inthedetails View Post
    I know it's been said before, but it has to be said again. For a people who want to be wholesome and pure, they sure are fixated on SEX. They idolize sex within marriage making it bigger than what it really is, and they demonize it outside of marriage, making it bigger than it really is.

They are whack about sex. Sex is absolutely fabulous, but to fixate on it warps it beyond reality.

I used to think they were okay people who were just misunderstood. I no longer think that! I think they are on the wrong path, and it's a dangerous path.

As for public criticism, I think that will just make them dig in their heels harder and they will react by thinking how much more work they have to do in the fallen world. Sigh. They aren't going to go away.
    ITA. Good post.

Quote Originally Posted by Donjeta View Post
    Is this
    a) because there might be pictures
    or
    b) because they define success as being uninformed, unthinking and ignorant but able to recite memorized Bible quotes
    or c) both
    Both. Especially the pictures part. Even Readers Digest might have a photo of a woman wearing workout clothes. And no one nearby to shout "Nike!"

The not being able to read anything would be painful for me. To make someone go that long without reading seems cruel.

Sidenote:
    I've had inpatient treatment before and they usually took away all my magazines but I think it was more about keeping others from seeing them and being triggered. (Vogue and Shape were confiscated and I was never admitted for an eating disorder.)

I never would have made it without my own music though, same for everyone else I've known.

Quote Originally Posted by human View Post
    Learn about the issue? They never knew about it?

the sheer disconnect of tht statement is disturbing
    What struck me about that particular verbiage was that it was totally disconnected from any personal experience. Very generic. As if this was all about other people, not them.

I have sympathy for the Duggar girls for having been victims of sexual abuse by their brother but beyond that it's very hard - for me anyway - to have a soft spot for them. Something stuck in my craw is Jessa's comments after her visit to the Holocaust Museum. That visit should have been a "teaching moment" to her in that people were murdered - not just Jews but Poles, Romani, the physically disabled, the mentally disabled, and even gays - because they were born as such.

Instead, she chose to make it all about evolution and abortion:

“I walked through the Holocaust Museum again today… very sobering,” Duggar wrote. “Millions of innocents denied the most basic and fundamental of all rights — their right to life. One human destroying the life of another deemed ‘less than human.’ Racism, stemming from the evolutionary idea that man came from something less than human; that some people groups are ‘more evolved’ and others ‘less evolved.'” She went on:

So they’re murdered. Slaughtered. Kids with Down syndrome or other disabilities. The sickly. The elderly. The sanctity of human life varies not in sickness or health, poverty or wealth, elderly or pre-born, little or lots of melanin [making you darker or lighter skinned], or any other factor. ” … May we never sit idly by and allow such an atrocity to happen again. Not this generation. We must be a voice for those who cannot speak up for themselves. Because EVERY LIFE IS PRECIOUS. #ProLife
    http://www.salon.com/2014/09/30/dugg...t_to_abortion/
    https://instagram.com/p/tY_PCYjfjZ/?hl=en

That she isn't able to see the irony in her own statements and the hubris that her own brand of religion is somehow better when it comes to loving and accepting one's fellow humans just boggles the mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Donjeta View Post
    It's safe and neutral to say that it was nice to learn more and people should talk more about this important issue...

However,the more Michelle had to learn from this show the more she didn't bother to read up and learn and find out about childhood sexual abuse when it was an acute issue in her family and all of her kids needed urgent help. JMO.

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertai...e-documentary/

The cameras followed Jill and Jessa Duggar, who were among Josh's victims, accompanied by their mother, Michelle, as they attended a seminar to help stop abuse before it starts. The seminar was conducted by the group Darkness to Light, and the group provides five steps for parents to help detect signs of abuse in their children and know how to react if it happens in their family. "It was amazing to understand that there are so many people that deal with this exact same thing in their own families," Jill said. "I feel like this should be a discussion that people are having, even regularly. It shouldn't be a taboo subject," Jessa added.

http://www.d2l.org/site/c.4dICIJOkGc...r_Children.htm

At least they got validation for their dorm ideology.

http://www.d2l.org/site/c.4dICIJOkGc...xual_Abuse.htm

But nothing here says, "pray, cover it up and make molester do some carpentry"
    Of course, the dorm idea completely overlooks the possibility of same-sex assault/abuse.

Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast