MI - Representatives committed misconduct, misused state funds

BetteDavisEyes

Fasten your seatbelts...
Reaction score
Report: Reps. Courser, Gamrat committed misconduct, misused state resources

Author: Local 4 - ClickOnDetroit news staff, local4@clickondetroit.com

Published On: Aug 31 2015 11:24:35 AM EDT Updated 8 m

LANSING, Mich. -
An internal House of Representatives report released Monday claims Reps. Todd Courser and Cindy Gamrat committed misconduct in office and misused state resources to cover up their affair.

The House Business Office's report says Courser and Gamrat "are not credible witnesses," in this investigation.

"The statements of both representatives differ in material respect to those of other persons interviewed, including Ben Graham, Keith Allard, and Josh Cline," the report reads...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/coursergamrat-report-expected-today/35012800

Report: Courser, Gamrat misused offices to cover affair

Chad Livengood, Detroit News Lansing Bureau 1:56 p.m. EDT August 31, 2015

Lansing — State Reps. Todd Courser and Cindy Gamrat “misused” their House offices, staff and taxpayer resources “to cover-up an affair” and benefit “their own political advantage,” according to an internal House of Representatives report released Monday.

The report said “Representative Courser and Representative Gamrat are not credible witnesses” because their comments conflicted with documentary evidence and audios presented by their three former staff members that were deemed to be more accurate.

A 40-page summary of the House Business Office’s investigation, sparked by The Detroit News’ Aug. 7 revelation of Courser’s attempt to cover up the affair, alleges “deceptive, deceitful and outright dishonest conduct” by both Republican freshman representatives...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2015/08/31/courser-gamrat-investigation/71470076/

House panel votes to oust Courser and Gamrat

Chad Livengood, Detroit News Lansing Bureau 12:41 p.m. EDT September 10, 2015

Lansing — A special committee voted Thursday to oust Republican Reps. Todd Courser and Cindy Gamrat from the Michigan House of Representatives for misconduct and misuse of taxpayer resources to conceal an extramarital affair. The question now goes to the full House.

The committee votes on the tea party conservative lawmakers were 4-0 to expel Courser and Gamrat, with the four panel Republicans voting to oust the lawmakers and the two Democrats abstaining.

Republican leaders could call later Thursday for a vote on making Courser and Gamrat just the fourth and fifth individuals to ever be expelled from the Michigan Legislature in the state’s 178-year history...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2015/09/10/courser-gamrat/71996554/

House expels Gamrat; Courser resigns before vote

Chad Livengood, Detroit News Lansing Bureau 10:31 a.m. EDT September 11, 2015

Lansing — The Michigan House of Representatives ousted state Rep. Cindy Gamrat from office just after 4 a.m. Friday for misconduct involving her extramarital affair with Rep. Todd Courser — one hour after Courser abruptly resigned.

At 4:13 a.m., the House voted 91-12 to expel Gamrat from office after the Plainwell Republican made a final plea on the floor for a censure. Gamrat's ouster makes her just the fourth lawmaker to be expelled from the Legislature

"Resigning would have been a whole lot easier, I'll tell you that," Gamrat said. "But sometimes the easy roads aren't the best roads to take." ...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2015/09/10/courser-gamrat/71996554/

Police plan criminal investigation after affair cover-up by Michigan lawmakers

Published On: Sep 11 2015 06:23:22 AM EDT Updated 37 m

LANSING, Mich. -
Michigan State Police plan to investigate potential criminal wrongdoing by two lawmakers who had an extramarital affair and admitted to misconduct in attempting to cover it up.

The agency says in a statement Friday it "will honor the requests made by the Legislature" for an investigation.

The announcement came after Republican Rep. Todd Courser announced his resignation amid a marathon overnight session in the House over whether he and Rep. Cindy Gamrat should stay in their jobs. Gamrat was expelled an hour after Courser's resignation.

Gov. Rick Snyder says he supports the state police in opening an investigation...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...affair-coverup-by-michigan-lawmakers/35215652

Courser has publicly acknowledged that he orchestrated a fictional email campaign in May suggesting he had sex with a male prostitute in order to distract or tamp down attention from his relationship with Rep. Cindy Gamrat.

Since when are gay prostitute encounters less embarrassing to politicians than extramarital heterosexual affairs?

Thank God they're both out - I was nervous last night when they couldn't seem to get the votes to expel them.

After Watergate, I would have thought these folks realized that the cover-up ends up being worse than the original offense. I doubt many would have really cared about Courser and Gamrat having an affair. It was the ridiculously contrived cover-up and use of public resources in the process that brought them down. Good riddance. :moo:

After Watergate, I would have thought these folks realized that the cover-up ends up being worse than the original offense. I doubt many would have really cared about Courser and Gamrat having an affair. It was the ridiculously contrived cover-up and use of public resources in the process that brought them down. Good riddance. :moo:
most ppl dont remember watergate. maybe use a more recent example of coverup, like Benghazi.
9/11/12

Since when are gay prostitute encounters less embarrassing to politicians than extramarital heterosexual affairs?

They aren't, donjeta. In the feeble mind of this "Christian moralist" who "never misses a chance to inject his religion into his politics" (according to a fellow House Member) Courser would have thought being homosexual was WORSE than cheating on your wife. In his convoluted thinking, he wanted to give the media "something worse" to report on in order to keep the actual affair hidden.

I think this man is mentally ill.

------------------

Just listened to a 27 minute audio tape from Courser. He made this tape public PRIOR to the official investigation as "his answer" to the media and the public when it first became public that he himself had sent the "he's gay" texts.

Courser indeed does like to present himself as a follower of the Christian faith. He refers throughout the tape to himself as a sinner who is seeking forgiveness. He discusses his "difficult marriage" and the "several" counselors he and his wife have gone to over the years. (I feel really sorry for his poor wife.) In the meanwhile, as was later shown in the investigation, the whole story he is telling on this tape - about being blackmailed so he sent the "gay text" to somehow trap the blackmailer - is a huge LIE!

What a jerk!

Here's the audio tape: http://www.toddcourser.com/todd_courser_responds_to_detroit_news_hit_piece

most ppl dont remember watergate. maybe use a more recent example of coverup, like Benghazi.
9/11/12

I'm sure there are plenty of Websleuths participants and readers who recall the Watergate break-in as "the mother of all scandals" from which future unscrupulous actions came to be known as something-gate (i.e. deflate-gate in reference to the very recent NFL scandal) And, among those who weren't alive during the Watergate era, surely the scandal that caused Richard Nixon to resign the Presidency of the United States is part of our nation's legacy and studied in American History. :moo:

Self-styled ‘gladiators’ Courser, Gamrat defiant to end

Chad Livengood, Detroit News Lansing Bureau 11:45 p.m. EDT September 11, 2015

Lansing — Reps. Todd Courser and Cindy Gamrat left office in much the same way they came to Lansing: defying the political establishment in unpredictable ways.

The tea party conservatives took their oaths of office in January as self-proclaimed GOP “gladiators” who wrote “liberty” manifestos that questioned the priorities of fellow Republicans. They chose their own path out of the Michigan House of Representatives early Friday morning even as they were forced out for their misconduct.

For almost 12 hours of voting, Courser of Lapeer and Gamrat of Plainwell clung to their seats of power with the unexpected help of minority Democrats. But when House Republican and Democratic leaders cut a deal — adding the Democrats’ request for a formal attorney general’s criminal investigation of the lawmakers to the expulsion resolution — the freshman legislators went their separate ways...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...adiators-courser-gamrat-defiant-end/72123994/

Long article; worthwhile read. :moo:

Expelled Rep. Gamrat files to run for her former seat

Chad Livengood and Melissa Nann Burke, The Detroit News 6:28 p.m. EDT September 17, 2015

Former state Rep. Cindy Gamrat, the west Michigan tea party conservative who was ousted from office less than a week ago because of a scandal, has filed to run for her former job in a special election.

Gamrat confirmed Thursday she filed to run in the special 80th House District Nov. 3 primary in Allegan County after praying and consulting her family.

The Plainwell Republican said she doesn’t think the powers-that-be in Lansing who orchestrated her ouster last week should have the final word on her political fate.

“I’ve always maintained that I thought the decision should be up to the voters,” Gamrat told The Detroit News. “I think that they ought to have a voice in this matter.” ...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2015/09/17/courser/32556833/

:rolleyes:

Ex-Rep. Courser doesn’t go quietly into the night

Detroit News staff 7:29 a.m. EDT September 17, 2015

Former state Rep. Todd Courser picked up Monday where he left off early Friday morning when he resigned from the House of Representatives in disgrace to avoid an expulsion vote over misconduct in office related to his bungled cover-up of an affair with former Rep. Cindy Gamrat.

Courser, R-Lapeer, took to the airwaves in multiple radio and television interviews to complain about how he was treated.

In an interview on “Michigan’s Big Show,” Courser said he was unfairly forced to resign over “scant evidence of misuse” of taxpayer resources...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2015/09/17/ex-rep-courser-go-quietly-night/32544607/

Now that Cindy Gamrat has submitted her petition to run in the special election despite being ousted by colleagues, I expect Todd Courser to file his petition before the deadline tomorrow at 4:00PM :moo:

What a frickin' joke :rolleyes:

He's just been interviewed on CNN and has announced he is running for re-election. This dude seems to be a bit deluded. He really offers no explanation for his bizarre behavior of leaking a story to the press that he had been having a gay affair when what he was actually trying to do was cover up his hetero affair with a fellow legislator. And he did not come off as apologetic.

I guess anyone who would vote for him deserves him.

He's just been interviewed on CNN and has announced he is running for re-election. This dude seems to be a bit deluded. He really offers no explanation for his bizarre behavior of leaking a story to the press that he had been having a gay affair when what he was actually trying to do was cover up his hetero affair with a fellow legislator. And he did not come off as apologetic.

I guess anyone who would vote for him deserves him.

I feel the same way about Cindy Gamrat. Courser and Gamrat are hypocrites - cut from the same cloth as Kim Davis. :moo:

Former Rep. Todd Courser files to run for his old seat

Gary Heinlein, Chad Livengood, and Holly Fournier 11:24 a.m. EDT September 18, 2015

Lapeer — A defiant Todd Courser filed Friday to run in a special election for the state House seat from which he resigned under pressure just a week ago.

The tea party conservative Republican arrived at the Lapeer County clerk’s office about 3 p.m. and told a group of reporters he was mistreated by state House of Representatives members who last week were prepared to oust him for misconduct. He was accused by a House Business Office report of deceit and misuse of taxpayer resources in covering up his extramarital affair with ex-Rep. Cindy Gamrat, R-Plainwell, and other activities.

“I think this really should have been left up to the voters and voters will have a chance to weigh in,” said the Lapeer Republican. “They haven’t really heard all the good stuff about my time in Lansing.” ...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...ourser-announces-plans-run-old-seat/72397320/

9/11/12

Just walked in the door from watching 13 hours in Benghazi. Carry kleenex if you go see the movie. The CIA Chief is who gave the stand down order to the contractors of the CIA compound. "Three times". The Hero contractors said that they could have rescued Ambassador Stevens if allowed to respond when the first help call was made.

"For those who believe no proof is necessary, and for those who disbelieve, no proof is possible". quote by Stuart Chase..

13 Hours: The Secret - Soldiers Of Benghazi‎ movie trailer
http://www.thirteenhoursmovie.com/?gclid=CMnMkMGArcoCFRYjgQodTb4AVA

Michigan AG: Courser, Gamrat to face criminal charges for affair cover-up

Todd Courser faces felony perjury charge

By Dave Bartkowiak - Web Producer

Posted: 1:44 AM, February 26, 2016

Updated: 1:29 PM, February 26, 2016

LANSING, Mich. - The Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette announced Friday criminal charges are being filed against former state representatives Todd Courser and Cindy Gamrat.

Courser and Gamrat were expelled from the House during the summer of 2015 after it was revealed the two were having an affair. Moreover, Courser was accused of trying to cover up the affair with an elaborate story. His former aides said Courser enlisted their help in the cover-up.

An investigation has been ongoing since the state officials were expelled...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...nounce-results-of-coursergamrat-investigation

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2016/02/26/courser-gamrat/80986942/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lover305
Back