Queen poised for record after rallying troubled monarchy

Daily Mail:

Historian writes that Her Majesty has 'kept the royal show on the road'

AFP:

Highlights of Queen Elizabeth II's record-breaking reign

Independent:

Queen to become Britain's longest reigning monarch: Longest serving rulers ever

A past fave QEII-interest thread:

In the Queen's bedchamber: 30 years ago, 'shrooms in the soup led to colossal *advertiser censored*-up

Monarchy: yes? no? What say you?

It's not my country, so I'm not sure I have a right to an opinion. But one can see the problems here in the U.S. where the President is both the chief administrator AND the symbolic head of state. Sometimes it would be nice if we in the U.S. had a figurehead to remain above the fray.

Of course, that's basically what we had with Bush/Cheney and look at how that turned out!

Sep 8 2015, 8:40 am ET

Tale of Two Queens: How Does Elizabeth II Stack Up to Victoria?

by Matthew Grimson

LONDON — Queen Elizabeth II will become the longest-serving monarch in British history on Wednesday, surpassing her great-great grandmother Victoria's extraordinary record of 63 years and 216 days.

The 89-year-old queen will better Victoria's record around 5:30 p.m. local time (12:30 p.m. ET).

Both women found themselves on the throne at a young age — Victoria at 18, and Elizabeth at 25 — and both ruled throughout periods of great transformation.

But where do they stack up against each other? ...

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/tale-two-queens-how-does-elizabeth-stack-against-victoria-n422971

The gushing descriptions of Queen Victoria in that article ring a bit hollow I'm afraid. She's known as the Famine Queen in Ireland and usually remembered with a hiss of contempt. There are plenty of other countries around the world where her name carries similarly unhappy associations.

Not so the current Queen who is - justifiably - well respected.

Charles is 66 now, the Queen is 89 and her mum lived til she was 101. He's not gonna get long on the throne and then it's over to King Wills & Queen Kate!!

Charles is 66 now, the Queen is 89 and her mum lived til she was 101. He's not gonna get long on the throne and then it's over to King Wills & Queen Kate!!

Will she be a queen? I can never keep track of how the titles work.

She will be called Queen Catherine but will not be a proper Queen. Unlike husbands of our monarchs (eg Prince Phillip aka Prince Consort) wives get the full title. I'm sure someone else can explain better than I just did!!

She will be called Queen Catherine but will not be a proper Queen. Unlike husbands of our monarchs (eg Prince Phillip aka Prince Consort) wives get the full title. I'm sure someone else can explain better than I just did!!

I think it depends on what title their spouse wants to give them, there don't seem to be any hard and fast rules. Camilla, for example, won't hold the title of Queen when Charles becomes King - they've decided to make her a Princess Consort.

I think it depends on what title their spouse wants to give them, there don't seem to be any hard and fast rules. Camilla, for example, won't hold the title of Queen when Charles becomes King - they've decided to make her a Princess Consort.

Yes, but that's because of Diana, who would've been known as Queen Diana. It's felt the public would not react well to a Queen Camilla, but she's more popular than she was so who knows! There is an explanation here:

"The husband of a queen is known as a Prince consort and does not become King. Queen Victoria's husband was Prince Albert, and Queen Elizabeth's husband is Prince Philip The Duke of Edinburgh.

The wife of a king is a Queen consort and does take the title Queen although she does not rule as the monarch. "

http://www.britroyals.com/faqs.htm

Anyway, there is loads of TV news coverage about it this evening. Let's hope she doesn't peg it over night...

Yes, but that's because of Diana, who would've been known as Queen Diana. It's felt the public would not react well to a Queen Camilla, but she's more popular than she was so who knows! There is an explanation here:

"The husband of a queen is known as a Prince consort and does not become King. Queen Victoria's husband was Prince Albert, and Queen Elizabeth's husband is Prince Philip The Duke of Edinburgh.

The wife of a king is a Queen consort and does take the title Queen although she does not rule as the monarch. "

http://www.britroyals.com/faqs.htm

That doesn't seem to be a hard and fast rule though. Both Queen Marys had their husbands crowned King, and the current royals are bending the rules for Camilla due to public opinion. It seems to be at the discretion of the reigning monarch.

That doesn't seem to be a hard and fast rule though. Both Queen Marys had their husbands crowned King, and the current royals are bending the rules for Camilla due to public opinion. It seems to be at the discretion of the reigning monarch.

Seems that way, I suppose they can do whatever they want, nobody would argue with Liz!

[video=youtube;Tzb5QABCmak]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tzb5QABCmak[/video]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708
Back