1091 users online (225 members and 866 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 59 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

The Crime Scene and Investigation

Investigation into death of beloved doctor, mother continues
    Jul 02, 2015 6:04 AM CST

For example, we watched Thursday as detectives removed a door from the home covered in what looked like fingerprinting dust. A security company also worked with detectives for the second day in a row.
    Investigators have canvassed the neighborhood. Many neighbors have confirmed to us that they've offered sworn statements about what some of them told us they heard was a gruesome crime.
    On Wednesday, family members watched from the street as detectives focused on a broken door handle.

Evidence sought in Dr. Teresa Sievers' death
    MICHAEL BRAUN, EDT July 8, 2015

More than 48 hours after Dr. Teresa Sievers was found slain in her Bonita Springs home, deputies, security company employees and training academy cadets scoured the property and home looking for clues.

The body of Sievers, 46, was found Monday morning at her Jarvis Road home after she didn't arrive at work.
    Last edited by Coldpizza; 09-01-2015 at 04:24 PM.

Also on scene earlier Wednesday, were members of Statewide Security. An employee tells WINK News the company did provide security for the Sievers’ home, but that’s all they would say.

Our cameras were rolling as the security company members put on gloves and booties and appeared to go inside the home.

http://www.winknews.com/2015/07/01/n...eresa-sievers/

Why would security company members be entering the crime scene?
    Also, why did she need security at home?
    ~ let the storm wash over you, because somewhere beneath, there is your balance and wisdom ~

Rosemadderlake

Quote Originally Posted by Dushi View Post
    Why would security company members be entering the crime scene?
    Also, why did she need security at home?
    The security firm can access any possible recordings (tapes) and determine which alarm sections - if any were set- went off and when. The area around Jarvis road is not the safest. Why Dr Sievers and her family chose not only to live there but to stay living there is questionable, unless there were financial consideration, when they bought the house in 2005. Looking at the doctor's appearance and connections, I would assume she may have considered a change. Just saying.

-No it's not

Southside of Chicago...it's the baddest part of town
    Quote Originally Posted by No it's not View Post
    The security firm can access any possible recordings (tapes) and determine which alarm sections - if any were set- went off and when. The area around Jarvis road is not the safest. Why Dr Sievers and her family chose not only to live there but to stay living there is questionable, unless there were financial consideration, when they bought the house in 2005. Looking at the doctor's appearance and connections, I would assume she may have considered a change. Just saying.

-No it's not
    I'm not too familiar with the area, only have stayed in Fort Myers Beach...can you elaborate as to the area? High crime? Thanks in advance, as an outsider (Chicago) Bonita springs looks very safe to me but that's easy to say, not knowing the area

Via Kindle, like a true Amazon junkie

Neighborhood Info

Quote Originally Posted by Simply Caustic View Post
    I'm not too familiar with the area, only have stayed in Fort Myers Beach...can you elaborate as to the area? High crime? Thanks in advance, as an outsider (Chicago) Bonita springs looks very safe to me but that's easy to say, not knowing the area

Via Kindle, like a true Amazon junkie
    Here is a neighborhood info:

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/reports/16602956/

-No it's not

Apartment Complex

One of the questions LE asked was if there was any folks who have just recently moved into the neighborhood on Jarvis Road. There is an apartment/ Condo complex ("Gardens at Bonita") bordering Jarvis on the West side. The apartments are accessible via Matheson Avenue. The park LE was combing through is the dog walk area of the Apartments.

Here is a rating of the Gardens with comments:

http://www.apartmentratings.com/fl/b...1948799934135/

-No it's not

Thank you to the mod who helped me delete my previous post! Here are the updated maps:
    Attachment 77497Attachment 77498

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man."
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Who am I?
    I am that tiny voice in the back of your mind which encourages you to be who you choose to be as long as you are truthful to yourself.
    I am that tiny voice in the back of your mind that makes you understand that you are a survivor...that you are important... That you matter.
    Now let me ask, who are you?"

Did anyone Zillow homes in the area?

No, the neighbor did not sound bright, but several reports say it is an upscale, safe community. We know that means zilch these days, but I do not think it was a lower middle class area.

Very suspect she is the third alternative doctor murdered in under two weeks and equally suspicious the husband was out of town.

Neighborhood

Quote Originally Posted by thesiren View Post
    Did anyone Zillow homes in the area?

No, the neighbor did not sound bright, but several reports say it is an upscale, safe community. We know that means zilch these days, but I do not think it was a lower middle class area...
    There is nothing upscale in that neighborhood. Lower middle class. Her house was the only one upscale (app480k as opposed to 180k/250k). Jarvis is accessible from both ends now. The North end used to be blocked off a few years ago. Northwest of Jarvis is a rather unsafe part of the town. Some streets I would not even drive through (Rosemary e.g.).

-No it's not

Hmm..

Hmm..that makes it even easier to jump a fence, just saying.

http://abcnews.go.com/beta/US/florid...ry?id=32200074

Also, you cab see the red underground markers (flags).

-No it's not

Original post: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...8#post11929838
    Last edited by KateB; 09-07-2015 at 01:04 AM. Reason: add link to original post.

Floorplan

I was trying to find out, whether there is any space inside the house, where the dogs could have been confined to in order not to hear any barking by any neighbors - if the dogs did indeed bark.

For that I needed the floor plan. After running the permit Nr. and finally locating the original builder of the house ( they have changed their company name since then).
    They have either slightly adjusted the initial floor plan, or the Sievers had them customize the plan according to their own expectations.

Plan is very workable, so were would you keep the dogs to avoid them being heard?

Here are the pics, links and some technical data:

Builder sf ---------------------- Sievers sf

2802 under air -------------------- 2885 under air
    721 garage ------------------------695 garage
    119 finished open porch ----------119 finished open porch
    517 lanai --------------------------470 lanai

The Sievers house has more sf under air, which resulted from reducing the garage space slightly, reducing the lanai space to the back ( due to larger bath/room in the back), adding frontal space to the master bathroom. The space as shown in the Lee county permit plan is still proportional to the newer builder's plan. What we do not know is if any doors had been adjusted.

Builder link:
    http://www.kayelifestylehomes.com/2015-lifestyle-homes/emerald-bay/

Lee County Permitting:
    http://permits.leegov.com/tm_bin/tmw_cmd.pl?tmw_cmd=StatusViewCase&shl_caseno=RES20 05-19905

Lee County Property Appraiser:
    http://www.leepa.org/Display/DisplayParcel.aspx?AuthDetails=True&FolioID=102941 68&LocationDetails=True&PhotoIndex=3&PermitDetails =True&SalesDetails=True&RenumberDetails=True#Numbe ringDetails

-Nin

Last edited by KateB; 09-01-2015 at 11:39 PM.
    If the key does not fit, it's the wrong key.

Broken lock

This picture of the broken side garage door lock was shown in most of the MSM video coverages:

I was wondering why the deadbolt latch is positioned towards the lock while the bolt is retrieved. It should be the opposite. No damaged frame in that area. Now, can the latch be installed by mistake to work the opposite way? Anyone knows?

There is a small key lock facing the outside of the door. You can see it is protruding. This looks like one of the locks that pushes in, when locked, and stays out, when unlocked. Is that the case?

The intruder went straight for the lower lock, not the deadbolt. The individual was either familiar with the lock system by previous knowledge, or by checking it out with a flash light. One may be able to shine into the frame and see the locks.
    Or if you know that kind of lock, you can feel the protruding part knowing the deadbolt is not engaged.

Considering the lights on the side of the house, either way can work even without a flashlight. So it would not be necessary to carry a flashlight in order to check out that particular door lock system.

-Nin

original post: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...2#post11968762
    Last edited by KateB; 09-07-2015 at 01:04 AM. Reason: add link to original post.

Interesting similarity between the broken in door at the Sievers home and another pried open door from a door-security website. In the example the door was dead bolted.

Still good comparison in how the door splits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr3yhwCQaNU

Attachment 79313
    Picture from NBC2, Kelly Burns Interview with Sheriff Mike Scott, marker 1.04 ff

Attachment 79315
    Same link, marker 1.24ff

http://www.doorsecuritypro.com/design-flaws-in-all-homes.html

Attachment 79312

-Nin

The top lock appears to be free from prying, so maybe it wasn't locked or otherwise in the murder's way. I have a door similar to these and I always lock both because the bottom lock is easy to open without a key, if you have a credit card.

Also, if this was staging...its possible to lock the bottom by turning the knob on the door handle without a key. It would be impossible to lock the top latch from inside, unless the perp stayed in the home and used another exit. Top latch needs to be locked from the outside with a key. In other words, if the perp was staging a break in (and for some reason didn't want to take Teresa's keys from the scene) the only way he could lock the door to stage the prying would be to turn the handle lock, step outside and shut the door. Of course he wouldn't bother prying the deadbolt because it wasn't locked. I would assume most criminals trying to pry open doors of this type start with the deadbolt. Alternatively, maybe the dog walker returned his key - could also explain why the door was locked, but not dead bolted.

Quote Originally Posted by creepingskills View Post
    The top lock appears to be free from prying, so maybe it wasn't locked or otherwise in the murder's way. I have a door similar to these and I always lock both because the bottom lock is easy to open without a key, if you have a credit card.

Also, if this was staging...its possible to lock the bottom by turning the knob on the door handle without a key. It would be impossible to lock the top latch from inside, unless the perp stayed in the home and used another exit. Top latch needs to be locked from the outside with a key. In other words, if the perp was staging a break in (and for some reason didn't want to take Teresa's keys from the scene) the only way he could lock the door to stage the prying would be to turn the handle lock, step outside and shut the door. Of course he wouldn't bother prying the deadbolt because it wasn't locked. I would assume most criminals trying to pry open doors of this type start with the deadbolt. Alternatively, maybe the dog walker returned his key - could also explain why the door was locked, but not dead bolted.
    I need clarification on that. Are you saying you cannot lock the deadbolt from inside?

-Nin

I need clarification on that. Are you saying you cannot lock the deadbolt from inside?

-Nin
    I believe what he means is that the inside knob is twisted by hand to lock the deadbolt (not by a key, like the outside). Therefore, if someone is staging the scene, after the crime, they would have to be in the house and turn the knob and then exit through a different door to get outside and stage the pry marks. If they were actually breaking the door in, from outside, there would be evidence of splitting of the door in the area of the deadbolt.

Page 1 of 59 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast