The Crime Scene and Investigation

Coldpizza

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
Investigation into death of beloved doctor, mother continues
Jul 02, 2015 6:04 AM CST

2A1EBF8500000578-3145106-image-a-96_1435697393790.jpg

For example, we watched Thursday as detectives removed a door from the home covered in what looked like fingerprinting dust. A security company also worked with detectives for the second day in a row.
Investigators have canvassed the neighborhood. Many neighbors have confirmed to us that they've offered sworn statements about what some of them told us they heard was a gruesome crime.
On Wednesday, family members watched from the street as detectives focused on a broken door handle.

Evidence sought in Dr. Teresa Sievers' death
MICHAEL BRAUN, EDT July 8, 2015

More than 48 hours after Dr. Teresa Sievers was found slain in her Bonita Springs home, deputies, security company employees and training academy cadets scoured the property and home looking for clues.

The body of Sievers, 46, was found Monday morning at her Jarvis Road home after she didn't arrive at work.

Also on scene earlier Wednesday, were members of Statewide Security. An employee tells WINK News the company did provide security for the Sievers’ home, but that’s all they would say.

Our cameras were rolling as the security company members put on gloves and booties and appeared to go inside the home.

http://www.winknews.com/2015/07/01/new-details-in-murder-investigation-of-teresa-sievers/

Why would security company members be entering the crime scene?
Also, why did she need security at home?

Why would security company members be entering the crime scene?
Also, why did she need security at home?

The security firm can access any possible recordings (tapes) and determine which alarm sections - if any were set- went off and when. The area around Jarvis road is not the safest. Why Dr Sievers and her family chose not only to live there but to stay living there is questionable, unless there were financial consideration, when they bought the house in 2005. Looking at the doctor's appearance and connections, I would assume she may have considered a change. Just saying.

-No it's not

The security firm can access any possible recordings (tapes) and determine which alarm sections - if any were set- went off and when. The area around Jarvis road is not the safest. Why Dr Sievers and her family chose not only to live there but to stay living there is questionable, unless there were financial consideration, when they bought the house in 2005. Looking at the doctor's appearance and connections, I would assume she may have considered a change. Just saying.

-No it's not

I'm not too familiar with the area, only have stayed in Fort Myers Beach...can you elaborate as to the area? High crime? Thanks in advance, as an outsider (Chicago) Bonita springs looks very safe to me but that's easy to say, not knowing the area

Via Kindle, like a true Amazon junkie

One of the questions LE asked was if there was any folks who have just recently moved into the neighborhood on Jarvis Road. There is an apartment/ Condo complex ("Gardens at Bonita") bordering Jarvis on the West side. The apartments are accessible via Matheson Avenue. The park LE was combing through is the dog walk area of the Apartments.

Here is a rating of the Gardens with comments:

http://www.apartmentratings.com/fl/bonita-springs/gardens-at-bonita-condos_941948799934135/

-No it's not

Thank you to the mod who helped me delete my previous post! Here are the updated maps:
View attachment 77497View attachment 77498

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man."

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435877997.808034.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435877997.808034.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 64
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435878010.658915.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435878010.658915.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 56
Did anyone Zillow homes in the area?

No, the neighbor did not sound bright, but several reports say it is an upscale, safe community. We know that means zilch these days, but I do not think it was a lower middle class area.

Very suspect she is the third alternative doctor murdered in under two weeks and equally suspicious the husband was out of town.

Did anyone Zillow homes in the area?

No, the neighbor did not sound bright, but several reports say it is an upscale, safe community. We know that means zilch these days, but I do not think it was a lower middle class area...

There is nothing upscale in that neighborhood. Lower middle class. Her house was the only one upscale (app480k as opposed to 180k/250k). Jarvis is accessible from both ends now. The North end used to be blocked off a few years ago. Northwest of Jarvis is a rather unsafe part of the town. Some streets I would not even drive through (Rosemary e.g.).

-No it's not

I was trying to find out, whether there is any space inside the house, where the dogs could have been confined to in order not to hear any barking by any neighbors - if the dogs did indeed bark.

For that I needed the floor plan. After running the permit Nr. and finally locating the original builder of the house ( they have changed their company name since then).
They have either slightly adjusted the initial floor plan, or the Sievers had them customize the plan according to their own expectations.

Plan is very workable, so were would you keep the dogs to avoid them being heard?

Here are the pics, links and some technical data:

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

Builder sf ---------------------- Sievers sf

2802 under air -------------------- 2885 under air
721 garage ------------------------695 garage
119 finished open porch ----------119 finished open porch
517 lanai --------------------------470 lanai

The Sievers house has more sf under air, which resulted from reducing the garage space slightly, reducing the lanai space to the back ( due to larger bath/room in the back), adding frontal space to the master bathroom. The space as shown in the Lee county permit plan is still proportional to the newer builder's plan. What we do not know is if any doors had been adjusted.

Builder link:
http://www.kayelifestylehomes.com/2015-lifestyle-homes/emerald-bay/

Lee County Permitting:
http://permits.leegov.com/tm_bin/tmw_cmd.pl?tmw_cmd=StatusViewCase&shl_caseno=RES2005-19905

Lee County Property Appraiser:
http://www.leepa.org/Display/DisplayParcel.aspx?AuthDetails=True&FolioID=10294168&LocationDetails=True&PhotoIndex=3&PermitDetails=True&SalesDetails=True&RenumberDetails=True#NumberingDetails

-Nin

Attachments

• sievers home emerald_bay_elev.jpg
    sievers home emerald_bay_elev.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 51
  • sievers home pic front.jpg
    sievers home pic front.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 48
  • sievers house plan lee county.png
    sievers house plan lee county.png
    85.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Sievers home plan Kayes Homes Naples emerald_bay_fp.jpg
    Sievers home plan Kayes Homes Naples emerald_bay_fp.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 55
This picture of the broken side garage door lock was shown in most of the MSM video coverages:

I was wondering why the deadbolt latch is positioned towards the lock while the bolt is retrieved. It should be the opposite. No damaged frame in that area. Now, can the latch be installed by mistake to work the opposite way? Anyone knows?

There is a small key lock facing the outside of the door. You can see it is protruding. This looks like one of the locks that pushes in, when locked, and stays out, when unlocked. Is that the case?

The intruder went straight for the lower lock, not the deadbolt. The individual was either familiar with the lock system by previous knowledge, or by checking it out with a flash light. One may be able to shine into the frame and see the locks.
Or if you know that kind of lock, you can feel the protruding part knowing the deadbolt is not engaged.

Considering the lights on the side of the house, either way can work even without a flashlight. So it would not be necessary to carry a flashlight in order to check out that particular door lock system.

-Nin

original post: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...a-Springs-June-2015-3&p=11968762#post11968762

Attachments

• sievers door closeup.jpg
    sievers door closeup.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 1,217
Interesting similarity between the broken in door at the Sievers home and another pried open door from a door-security website. In the example the door was dead bolted.

Still good comparison in how the door splits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr3yhwCQaNU

View attachment 79313
Picture from NBC2, Kelly Burns Interview with Sheriff Mike Scott, marker 1.04 ff

View attachment 79315
Same link, marker 1.24ff

[FONT=&amp]http://www.doorsecuritypro.com/design-flaws-in-all-homes.html[/FONT]

View attachment 79312

-Nin

The top lock appears to be free from prying, so maybe it wasn't locked or otherwise in the murder's way. I have a door similar to these and I always lock both because the bottom lock is easy to open without a key, if you have a credit card.

Also, if this was staging...its possible to lock the bottom by turning the knob on the door handle without a key. It would be impossible to lock the top latch from inside, unless the perp stayed in the home and used another exit. Top latch needs to be locked from the outside with a key. In other words, if the perp was staging a break in (and for some reason didn't want to take Teresa's keys from the scene) the only way he could lock the door to stage the prying would be to turn the handle lock, step outside and shut the door. Of course he wouldn't bother prying the deadbolt because it wasn't locked. I would assume most criminals trying to pry open doors of this type start with the deadbolt. Alternatively, maybe the dog walker returned his key - could also explain why the door was locked, but not dead bolted.

The top lock appears to be free from prying, so maybe it wasn't locked or otherwise in the murder's way. I have a door similar to these and I always lock both because the bottom lock is easy to open without a key, if you have a credit card.

Also, if this was staging...its possible to lock the bottom by turning the knob on the door handle without a key. It would be impossible to lock the top latch from inside, unless the perp stayed in the home and used another exit. Top latch needs to be locked from the outside with a key. In other words, if the perp was staging a break in (and for some reason didn't want to take Teresa's keys from the scene) the only way he could lock the door to stage the prying would be to turn the handle lock, step outside and shut the door. Of course he wouldn't bother prying the deadbolt because it wasn't locked. I would assume most criminals trying to pry open doors of this type start with the deadbolt. Alternatively, maybe the dog walker returned his key - could also explain why the door was locked, but not dead bolted.

I need clarification on that. Are you saying you cannot lock the deadbolt from inside?

-Nin

I need clarification on that. Are you saying you cannot lock the deadbolt from inside?

-Nin

I believe what he means is that the inside knob is twisted by hand to lock the deadbolt (not by a key, like the outside). Therefore, if someone is staging the scene, after the crime, they would have to be in the house and turn the knob and then exit through a different door to get outside and stage the pry marks. If they were actually breaking the door in, from outside, there would be evidence of splitting of the door in the area of the deadbolt.

-Nin

I'm sorry, no you can lock the deadbolt from the inside but in order to exit the same door, you would need to unlock the deadbolt and the use your key to dead bolt lock the door, again, from the outside. With the lock on the door knob, you can lock it from the inside and close it behind you, locked.

I believe what he means is that the inside knob is twisted by hand to lock the deadbolt (not by a key, like the outside). Therefore, if someone is staging the scene, after the crime, they would have to be in the house and turn the knob and then exit through a different door to get outside and stage the pry marks. If they were actually breaking the door in, from outside, there would be evidence of splitting of the door in the area of the deadbolt.

Yes, or they could exit from the same door, using the knob lock and not the deadbolt. The deadbolt appeared to be unlocked and not really damaged by prying, to me anyway!

I'm sorry, no you can lock the deadbolt from the inside but in order to exit the same door, you would need to unlock the deadbolt and the use your key to dead bolt lock the door, again, from the outside. With the lock on the door knob, you can lock it from the inside and close it behind you, locked.

This may be an explanation why the (very important) garage side door was not dead-bolted to begin with. I could not find any reasonable thought on why it would not be properly secured. That's why the dead bolt lock is there to begin with, for security.
They have security cameras on three sides of the house and the only access door ( accessing the garage ) without camera surveillance was not completely secured?

A staged break-in would require a certain knowledge of the existing lock system. He will have to plan just that part of the staging very well. He needs to lock the side door and step out. Then he is trying to pry open the door. He knows the dead bolt is not engaged! He only pries open the lower lock. He has a key in case the tool he is using isn't doing the job. He may need to unlock the door and step back in. He does not want to run around the house, motion lights and else may come on over and over (unless they were turned off). He may be seen running around the house. He manages to pry open the door. He steps back in, finishes up inside and leaves.

The key! The key to that side door needs to be fingerprinted!!

Just in case..

-Nin

This may be an explanation why the (very important) garage side door was not dead-bolted to begin with. I could not find any reasonable thought on why it would not be properly secured. That's why the dead bolt lock is there to begin with, for security.
They have security cameras on three sides of the house and the only access door ( accessing the garage ) without camera surveillance was not completely secured?

A staged break-in would require a certain knowledge of the existing lock system. He will have to plan just that part of the staging very well. He needs to lock the side door and step out. Then he is trying to pry open the door. He knows the dead bolt is not engaged! He only pries open the lower lock. He has a key in case the tool he is using isn't doing the job. He may need to unlock the door and step back in. He does not want to run around the house, motion lights and else may come on over and over (unless they were turned off). He may be seen running around the house. He manages to pry open the door. He steps back in, finishes up inside and leaves.

The key! The key to that side door needs to be fingerprinted!!

Just in case..

-Nin

Exactly. Why wouldn't the door be deadbolt locked with a key, or the deadbolt locked while inside? It could be forgetfulness, or maybe attributable to the dog walker. I'm leaning toward staging.

What are the odds that the security alarm would be off and the deadbolt unlocked?

Exactly. Why wouldn't the door be deadbolt locked with a key, or the deadbolt locked while inside? It could be forgetfulness, or maybe attributable to the dog walker. I'm leaning toward staging.

What are the odds that the security alarm would be off and the deadbolt unlocked?

Precisely! The odds are against it.

Also, if you look at this picture. I believe these are trash or recycling compactors located outside the (broken in) side door?

I assume they were not just moved to the outside for easy access to the garage, as the CS members are actively investigating the crime scene and keeping it intact.

Let's say they have been there before. Is anyone here familiar with those? What kind of trash or recyclables do they compact? Any ideas?

-Nin

original post: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...a-Springs-June-2015-4&p=11976535#post11976535

Attachments

• sievers compactors.jpg
    sievers compactors.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 622

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads